Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old September 28 2012, 02:46 AM   #151
NKemp3
Commodore

Re: Ewww.. SGU let's have some freaking protocol

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
In addition to this the show was also boring because they took so long to get the freaking plot moving.
Yeah, I think we've had multiple discussions around here about how you could have gotten the show to where it was at the end of the second season to roughly the beginning/middle of that season--compressing the first season-and-a-half into a single season, if not less. There were way too many filler episodes that just had people acting like dipshits that never went anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I agree that some of the first season could have been dropped in order to push the overall plot forward more quickly. And, yes, that includes some episodes in which the crew are acting like dipshits. Nonetheless I do love that much of the crew were at each other's throats for a long time. I liked that for long stretches crewmates didn't trust each other let alone like one another. That made it even more rewarding when they moved beyond those differences and came together. They "earned" that trust, they didn't just hand it over to each other overnight ala Voyager. In those final four or so eps of season two they were essentially a family and I respected how they got to that point because I saw their arrival at that point step by painful step. This is something I will simply agree to disagree with other people. Stargate fans tend to want such coming-together to happen quickly, they want deepness of divisions to be shallow and easily bridged. I am one of those who can appreciate the more painful and longer journey. Of course apparently that may not be the best way if you want to keep the attention of audiences.
Old September 28 2012, 04:06 AM   #152
DWF
Vice Admiral

Without the set up of the first season the second seaon can't really standalone IMO. And I agree with the comments about the crew not being perfect people, the casts of the other two series especially SG1 were rather perfect and didn't have many flaws nor did they fail at times. The comparisons with the new Battlestar Galactica are superficial at best.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old September 28 2012, 04:10 AM   #153
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

NKemp3 wrote: View Post
Maybe we should simply respect the way TPTB chooses to tell its story
This is the internet.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 28 2012, 03:27 PM   #154
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

NKemp3, a word of advice: please avoid making so many posts back-to-back. It is considered spamming and is against the rules. Use the multiquote feature.

(I do not moderate this forum, just giving you a tip before a real mod steps in.)
My blog
Old September 28 2012, 09:26 PM   #155
Harvey
Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Without the set up of the first season the second seaon can't really standalone IMO.
I've only seen one episode of the second season, but I suffered through the entire first year, and nothing about it's set-up warranted being twenty episodes long. A more disciplined writing staff could have covered the same ground in terms of narrative and character in half the time.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 28 2012, 09:47 PM   #156
DWF
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Without the set up of the first season the second seaon can't really standalone IMO.
I've only seen one episode of the second season, but I suffered through the entire first year, and nothing about it's set-up warranted being twenty episodes long. A more disciplined writing staff could have covered the same ground in terms of narrative and character in half the time.
This might also be said for the first season of The X-Files, Babylon 5 and certainly Lost. IMO 13 eps. were more than enough the new Battlestar Galactica's first season. But when shows are contracted for a 20 or 22 ep. season that's pretty much what you get.
Old September 28 2012, 09:55 PM   #157
Harvey
Admiral

There's no reason they couldn't have come up with more story material to properly fill twenty hours of television. All the padding and delay to the serial narrative was simply lazy writing.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 28 2012, 10:59 PM   #158
DWF
Vice Admiral

I thought many of the non arc eps. helped fill out the characters.
Old September 28 2012, 11:31 PM   #159
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

When I watch a series, I want things to happen. That "character-driven" drama does nothing for me.

I stopped watching "Air" (which was I believe the second episode?) after the second flashback that had nothing at all to do with the plot of the episode, for example.
Old September 28 2012, 11:57 PM   #160
DWF
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
When I watch a series, I want things to happen. That "character-driven" drama does nothing for me.

I stopped watching "Air" (which was I believe the second episode?) after the second flashback that had nothing at all to do with the plot of the episode, for example.
Air was the three part pilot for the series, so I'm not quite sure which flashback you're talking about.
Old September 29 2012, 01:12 AM   #161
bullethead
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Was it the one involving the priest? That made me hate the Scott character for a while.
Old September 29 2012, 01:52 AM   #162
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I didn't like any of the flashbacks, the earth visits.. just show us their character in the drama. All it did was cut the tension of being trapped on a ship hurtling out of the galaxy. I could have done without any of the visits.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 29 2012, 02:51 AM   #163
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

I loved SGU from the moment it started. It was a welcome departure from the nose dive SG-1 and Atlantis had taken in their final seasons. I welcomed the shift from less action packed episodes that drove SG-1, to more character driven plots. I also felt the pace was more than sufficient to move the story forward.

As far as the characters, I didn't go in trying to identify with any of them or felt any of them were so messed up that it was beyond belief they would be hired for their respective fields. I ended up liking many of them, mostly Rush, Eli, Volker, Brody, Greer and TJ. I also liked the larger main cast and the ever present supporting cast of characters.

It's really a shame that so many Stargate fans were turned off the series, for whatever reason. I think it had the potential to be the DS9 of the Stargate franchise.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Old September 29 2012, 08:38 PM   #164
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

That being said does anyone want to try to argue that the first two seasons of TNG were quality TV or that DS9 wasn't painfully trying to find its way very often during its first season or that Babylon 5 was not boring many people for the vast majority of its initial season? Anyone? Perhaps people give those shows a pass because they were so hungry for Trek or because of the more episodic nature of the first two shows or because each show had a slew of cool-looking, English-speaking aliens. Or maybe because of nostalgia we forget about the growing pains of those particular classic series.
The problem here is that you assume that TV hasn't changed in the 2-3 DECADES since those two shows started. You can't meander around for a season or 2 anymore and expect to survive on television any more.
Old September 30 2012, 01:10 AM   #165
DWF
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
That being said does anyone want to try to argue that the first two seasons of TNG were quality TV or that DS9 wasn't painfully trying to find its way very often during its first season or that Babylon 5 was not boring many people for the vast majority of its initial season? Anyone? Perhaps people give those shows a pass because they were so hungry for Trek or because of the more episodic nature of the first two shows or because each show had a slew of cool-looking, English-speaking aliens. Or maybe because of nostalgia we forget about the growing pains of those particular classic series.
The problem here is that you assume that TV hasn't changed in the 2-3 DECADES since those two shows started. You can't meander around for a season or 2 anymore and expect to survive on television any more.
Lost was able to meander around for six seasons and still didn't make any sense in the end.