RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 755
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: Do you own a pizza cutter?
Yes 57 79.17%
No 14 19.44%
Irrelevant. I never cook pizza. 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 28 2012, 02:34 AM   #31
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: Do you own a pizza cutter?

We make pizza at home quite often.

We have what we call "food scissors". Literally, it's a pair of scissors we have consigned to the food drawer. We cut our pizza with them, much to the chagrin of our family and friends.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 02:34 AM   #32
Count Zero
Guess who's back

I do have one which I have never used. It's in the form of the Enterprise and was a gift by a friend.
I only get pizza from the place around the corner and they already cut the pizza. Before that I used a steak knife (I use steak knifes for basically everything, they're great all-round tools) and a fork to do it.
Old September 28 2012, 02:47 AM   #33
Finn
Vice Admiral

For fun, I found this. Here are some of the pizza cutters from that site. I'm sure there are more examples out there.

I wonder how much that thing weights

I think the blade looks small compared to the handle.

Obscene

I think this one is scary, especially if the grease from the pizza gets splattered on the handle making it harder to keep a grip...

Nifty, for those who might like sharks or something like that

Looks like something from the floor of a garage

I wonder how that thing handles, with all the grooves and all.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 02:51 AM   #34
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I have two pizza cutters. One of them is better and slices through pizza quite easily. I have used a knife before, but the pizza slides too much for my liking, or I use a fork to hold it still and then it rips apart as I saw through it, so I try holding it with my hand and burn my fingers. I suppose I own a butcher knife, but I've never actually used it, it's hidden in a drawer somewhere. I don't like using big knives, they are kind of scary. I guess I watched Final Destination too many times.

Anyway, pizza cutters are super cheap and cut pizza well (as the name implies), so I've never thought about using anything else.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:05 AM   #35
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The last time I made pizza at home it was the 90's.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:24 AM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

If by "cooking" a pizza, you include the concept of "heating" a frozen one, yes, I've done it.

As for pizza cutter? Standard kitchen knife. Always have done it that way.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:25 AM   #37
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Sometimes i wonder if humanity would die out if all food was canned and not a standard can opener in sight.

What's will all the need for specialized tools for everything? I never had a pizza cutter, i eat pizza regularly and i own knives.. where's the problem?
Old September 28 2012, 03:27 AM   #38
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

yeah, it looks like auntiehills but it's plastic, was a giveaway from a bank (along with a frisbee, a pen and a little tote)
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:33 AM   #39
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Sometimes i wonder if humanity would die out if all food was canned and not a standard can opener in sight.

What's will all the need for specialized tools for everything? I never had a pizza cutter, i eat pizza regularly and i own knives.. where's the problem?
One $3 implement lets me slice a pizza quickly, easily, with no mess, and it doesn't cause me pain in my wrists like cutting with a knife causes. I can prepare food many different ways, and can create a meal out of next to nothing. I figure that works towards my survival to the point where I can be forgiven for using a specialized kitchen tool.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:34 AM   #40
teacake
Admiral

The funniest specialized kitchen tool I ever saw was a pasta cooker. A whole machine just so you could cook pasta perfectly. Because a pot somehow doesn't do the trick.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 28 2012, 03:36 AM   #41
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

teacake wrote: View Post
The funniest specialized kitchen tool I ever saw was a pasta cooker. A whole machine just so you could cook pasta perfectly. Because a pot somehow doesn't do the trick.
I do like strainers, though. Getting hot, boiling pasta off the stove and draining it's just asking for trouble every time you do it. A pasta strainer is nice, and beats using the lid any day.

Old September 28 2012, 03:41 AM   #42
teacake
Admiral

Well yeah. You can also let the pasta sit and continue draining as well as use the strainer for a thousand other things.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 28 2012, 03:41 AM   #43
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I love George Foreman kitchen grills but the one part of a Foreman I've never had any use for whatsoever is the bun warmer and lid on some of the models. I can't speak for anyone else here who eats hot dogs, but I prefer my hot dog buns to be room temperature...not warm and almost soggy from the heat and resulting moisture of a warmer tray or other mechanism.

I love the contrasts among a firm, room temperature bun fresh out of the package, the hot frank and chili and the cold mustard and ketchup. A soggy, heated bun almost completely ruins a hot dog for me and, quite honestly, gags me a little bit.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:43 AM   #44
teacake
Admiral

I use a Foreman all the time for chicken breasts. I only heat a hot dog about once every two years, when out somewhere and struck by an urge.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 28 2012, 03:53 AM   #45
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

I use mine for everything. Like cooleddie, I don't use the bun warmer either. I prefer to toss a little butter and cinnamon on the flat skillet, and singe the buns just a bit on the edges.