RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Posts: 5,430,368
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 395
Newest member: Sb118_James


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 27 2012, 11:15 PM   #76
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I've never trusted Chase Masterson, and I never will. I can never forgive her for the death of my boy.

Yeah, that didn't even occur to me about the name, because I wasn't even peripherally involved in ChaseGate, so it's not really something that's on my mind.
What is this thing that happened with Chase Masterson? Can a brotha get a link?
I doubt a link exists. The Chase Masterson thing happened many moons ago.
The hell you say!
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 11:16 PM   #77
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Hmm, for some reason I thought that event was much older than 2010. I've been here too long.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 11:16 PM   #78
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: The Force
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

gblews wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I've never trusted Chase Masterson, and I never will. I can never forgive her for the death of my boy.

Yeah, that didn't even occur to me about the name, because I wasn't even peripherally involved in ChaseGate, so it's not really something that's on my mind.
What is this thing that happened with Chase Masterson? Can a brotha get a link?
Here's the original thread (warning: mildly NSFW pics) that sort of cascaded into a bunch of other recurring threads and posts about the issue, but I'd rather not get the argument started again so we don't give the mods and admins a headache (not directing that at you, gblews, just a general comment).

ETA: 005 ninja'd me.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 11:29 PM   #79
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I've never trusted Chase Masterson, and I never will. I can never forgive her for the death of my boy.

Yeah, that didn't even occur to me about the name, because I wasn't even peripherally involved in ChaseGate, so it's not really something that's on my mind.
What is this thing that happened with Chase Masterson? Can a brotha get a link?
Here's the original thread (warning: mildly NSFW pics) that sort of cascaded into a bunch of other recurring threads and posts about the issue, but I'd rather not get the argument started again so we don't give the mods and admins a headache (not directing that at you, gblews, just a general comment).

ETA: 005 ninja'd me.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 11:42 PM   #80
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
What is this thing that happened with Chase Masterson? Can a brotha get a link?
I doubt a link exists. The Chase Masterson thing happened many moons ago.
The hell you say!
Thanks doubleohfive. After seeing the posts I do seem to have a vague recollection of this, however, I don't think I remember at all the boyfriend getting involved. Pretty funny.

I'de love to see Chevy become a member and show up here all insulted. I'm sure I'de earn a well deserved warning because I know I'de take a few more shots at him.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 11:55 PM   #81
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Chevy Chase is over 70. The odds of him being very computer savy are pretty slim.

Aldo wrote: View Post
Not surprising coming from Chase. He's always had the "I'm better than everyone" attitude.
Uh, dude, his catchphrase was "I'm Chevy Chase and you're not."

tighr wrote: View Post
Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
I don't like Community and gave up on it after 3 episodes but really the lowest form of television is "reality" tv not sitcoms.
I'd urge you to give it a second chance. I gave up very early on when it originally started airing, but after reading so much good stuff about it I gave it another go and stuck with it and it's now my second favorite sitcom (after Arrested Development.)
Whenever anyone tells me they don't like Community, I just have them watch season 1's Modern Warfare (the paintball episode). It was probably the first episode of Community that really drove home the whole style of the show.
That's a good one. But, personally, if I'm trying to sell a geek audience on the merits of the show, I start with "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons." I love the bit where they have to seduce the elf to get a pegasus.

foxhot wrote: View Post
Has anyone else notice these last few years how it's next to impossible to see a new American comedy without one to three stars of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE featured in it?

The show has classic cast members and episodes, but is also famous for beating 50 percent of its jokes into the ground in between two four-minute commercial breaks. Add all the musical numbers with performers' hands not even seeming to touch their guitars, and the total entertainment value doesn't come close to 60 minutes, let alone its 90-minute slot. I think the show has much to answer for, including its contaminating the movies with Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler, Tracy Morgan and so many others. (Tina Fey is a welcome exception.) And why dwell anymore on Guest Host for life Alec Baldwin? I can think of funnier relatives in cemeteries....
Just give it a few more years until Jon Hamm finally figures out how to have Baldwin killed and make it look like an accident.

gblews wrote: View Post
Good lord, I couldn't stand him on Community. His scenes always brought an episode's momentum to a grinding halt. His character never appeared to "fit" in with the rest of the cast.
In fairness, I think that was part of the point, that Pierce was so impossibly generationally removed from the frame of reference of the rest of the cast, even the older characters like Jeff & Shirley, that it generated a lot of humor.
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 12:00 AM   #82
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

"I think the reason I have stuck around is because I love these kids, the cast - they are very good. It's not like I am working with the great innovators of all time, but at the same time, they are my friends."
I don't see this comment as being so derrogatory towards the Community cast. While I would agree that the show is very innovative and the cast members are all really good on it, I don't think the style of their work is particularly revolutionary. They're basically occupying the same sitcom territory previously pioneered by the casts of 30 Rock & Arrested Development. I haven't seen them do anything as daring as the precise study in human awkwardness that is Alan Partridge.
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 12:50 AM   #83
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
Whenever anyone tells me they don't like Community, I just have them watch season 1's Modern Warfare (the paintball episode). It was probably the first episode of Community that really drove home the whole style of the show.
That's a good one. But, personally, if I'm trying to sell a geek audience on the merits of the show, I start with "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons." I love the bit where they have to seduce the elf to get a pegasus.
Oh, absolutely. One of the best episodes of the show. The reason I pointed out Modern Warfare was because it was a season 1 episode, though.

Coincidentally, its one of the ones I was referring to where its obvious Chase filmed his scenes seperately (another forum I'm on had someone who visited the set when they were filming the D&D episode, and Chase was nowhere to be found.) Even the scenes at the begining of the episode where he is sitting at the table were filmed separately (there are few, if any, in-camera shots of Chase with the other castmembers). I think he's repeatedly stormed offset. Harmon even mentioned in an interview that Chase ruined the season finale by not showing up for work the last day, and he had a planned scene for the end of the episode that had to be cut. Unfortunately for Dan Harmon, he was fired from the show shortly afterwards.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 01:16 AM   #84
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

tighr wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
Whenever anyone tells me they don't like Community, I just have them watch season 1's Modern Warfare (the paintball episode). It was probably the first episode of Community that really drove home the whole style of the show.
That's a good one. But, personally, if I'm trying to sell a geek audience on the merits of the show, I start with "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons." I love the bit where they have to seduce the elf to get a pegasus.
Oh, absolutely. One of the best episodes of the show. The reason I pointed out Modern Warfare was because it was a season 1 episode, though.

Coincidentally, its one of the ones I was referring to where its obvious Chase filmed his scenes seperately (another forum I'm on had someone who visited the set when they were filming the D&D episode, and Chase was nowhere to be found.) Even the scenes at the begining of the episode where he is sitting at the table were filmed separately (there are few, if any, in-camera shots of Chase with the other castmembers). I think he's repeatedly stormed offset. Harmon even mentioned in an interview that Chase ruined the season finale by not showing up for work the last day, and he had a planned scene for the end of the episode that had to be cut. Unfortunately for Dan Harmon, he was fired from the show shortly afterwards.
Harmon wasn't talking about the season finale being ruined by Chase. The episode Harmon was referring to was the video game episode, which aired the same night, which Harmon later discussed during his AMA on Reddit. The confusion is probably tied to the fact that the last few episodes aired on the same night as well as the fact that the scene in question would have been one of the last to be lensed during the production schedule. Here's the pertinent quote:

Dan Harmon said:
He refused to do the "tag" for the Digital Estate Planning episode (the 8 bit video game episode). In the scripted tag, Abed comes to Pierce with the thumb drive he took, and says "Pierce, I've been able to adjust some of the code for your Dad's video game and I've made a version I think you might like better." He puts the thumb drive into a laptop in front of Pierce. We cut to the laptop screen, where we see Pierce's avatar on a front lawn with the giant floating head of Cornelius. Every time Pierce presses the space bar, his avatar throws a baseball to his father's head, which gives him a thousand points and a "great job, son!" Pierce presses the space bar a few times, pauses, then leans over and embraces Abed and we fade to black. When Adam Countee pitched that tag, tears instantly rolled down my cheeks, and in point of fact, my eyes are getting watery describing it to you. It was the most important part of the episode and possibly one of the most important moments of the season. I was very upset to hear that it wasn't shot because someone didn't feel like shooting it, especially since it was literally the last day of shooting, which meant we'd never be able to pick it up. I regret nothing about how upset I got. My job was to care about my show.
And now Community fans online are trying to re-create the video game, and the lost scene Harmon described above (though the article also incorrectly describes the episode as the season finale):

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...ale-46290.html
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 01:33 AM   #85
Delsaber
Commodore
 
Delsaber's Avatar
 
Location: Parts Unknown
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

I remember reading somewhere that Patrick Stewart was on Dan Harmon's shortlist to play Pierce. That almost certainly would've turned out better for everyone. Even Chevy Chase, apparently, if this is really his attitude about the show.
__________________
• Dr. Del T. Saber DFA, esq.
Delsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 01:47 AM   #86
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: The Force
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Delsaber wrote: View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Patrick Stewart was on Dan Harmon's shortlist to play Pierce. That almost certainly would've turned out better for everyone. Even Chevy Chase, apparently, if this is really his attitude about the show.
Man, that would have been awesome.

I know it's not going to happen, but it would be funny if they just replaced Chase with Stewart as Pierce and didn't even acknowledge the difference; just have everyone be oblivious to the change in appearance and accent except Abed (but no one takes him seriously when he brings it up). You could even have Abed say he looks like Patrick Stewart, Picard, or Professor Xavier so they think he's just mixing up reality and fantasy again.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:21 AM   #87
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Delsaber wrote: View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Patrick Stewart was on Dan Harmon's shortlist to play Pierce. That almost certainly would've turned out better for everyone. Even Chevy Chase, apparently, if this is really his attitude about the show.
Man, that would have been awesome.

I know it's not going to happen, but it would be funny if they just replaced Chase with Stewart as Pierce and didn't even acknowledge the difference; just have everyone be oblivious to the change in appearance and accent except Abed (but no one takes him seriously when he brings it up). You could even have Abed say he looks like Patrick Stewart, Picard, or Professor Xavier so they think he's just mixing up reality and fantasy again.
Oooh.. Stewart would have been excellent!

Coincidentally last nights episode of the Daily Show had him in a comedy bit.. totally was not expecting him on the show as anything but a guest to be interviewed and i laughed my ass off and clapped.. awesome!

As to the replacement idea.. pretty good and has also been done on Roseanne way back in the 90s when they replaced one of the daughters with Sarah Chalke (of Scrubs fame later on) and when they went back to the original actress had quite a bit of fun pointing it out in a *winkwink* style.. was very funny.
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:25 AM   #88
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: The Force
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Coincidentally last nights episode of the Daily Show had him in a comedy bit.. totally was not expecting him on the show as anything but a guest to be interviewed and i laughed my ass off and clapped.. awesome!
Yeah, that was fantastic. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 09:10 PM   #89
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
Good lord, I couldn't stand him on Community. His scenes always brought an episode's momentum to a grinding halt. His character never appeared to "fit" in with the rest of the cast.
In fairness, I think that was part of the point, that Pierce was so impossibly generationally removed from the frame of reference of the rest of the cast, even the older characters like Jeff & Shirley, that it generated a lot of humor.
Remember that conversation Robert Downey Jr. had with Ben Stiller in Tropic Thunder about acting? Downey said that Sean Penn had gone "full retard" in that movie and that was the reason Penn didn't get the Oscar. He was saying that Penn gave a great performance as a retarded person, but failed to get across the character's underlying "wisdom" -- the thing that would have made the character pitiable but endearing and noble rather than just pitiable.

That is how I think of Chevy's performance as Pierce -- he went "full asshole", meaning he presented the asshole part of Pierce while failing to impart to the audience that Pierce really had a heart of gold deep down underneath it all while he was being an asshole. The only time we ever saw Pierce's softer side was when the dialogue was specifically written for Pierce to show that softer side.

Chevy's performance also many times seemed to break the show's natural flow (for lack of a better term). It is as if Chevy never fully "got" his character or the show and consequentely never was able to fully mesh Pierce with the other characters and the episode's story. Chevy, through Pierce, always seemed to me to be looking at his castmates going, "Huh".

The quotes attributed to him in the this thread seem to confirm that this is what was going on.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
chevy chase, community

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.