RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 416
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 27 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Did Vader ever fathom that Palpatine was Darth Sideous?

I read the excellent comics to Ghost Prison today which was set a couple years after the clone wars but Vader seemed to be totally in the dark still about the role the Emperor played in Separatist Movement which (doubly still) "seemed' to be run by Dooku... Which meant that he still had a hard on for frakking back for eveyrthing Dooku did to his friends and "family" even though most of who he eventually killed himself after order 66 came into play.

In the pages of Ghost Prison, Vader saw a recording of Jedi Council meeting where they are saying that they are worried about Anikan, and worried about his relationship with the Chancellor and that they should play things close tot he vest which he took as validation that he made the right choice in killing them all, and not that they were right to be worried becuase he killed them all.

What a nutcake.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
scnj
Captain

Re: Did Vader ever fathom that Palpatine was Darth Sideous?

He must have known. It's been a while since I watched Episode 3, but doesn't Anakin say something along the lines of "You're the Sith lord we've been looking for"?
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Maple Dog
Lieutenant Commander

scnj wrote: View Post
He must have known. It's been a while since I watched Episode 3, but doesn't Anakin say something along the lines of "You're the Sith lord we've been looking for"?
I think so,and he informed Mace Windu about it,so he did know at that point.
Old September 27 2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The rule of two be damned.

A Sith who just coincidentally happens to be there... Compared to Dooku's boss?

Even if Anikan thought that Palpatine was Dooku's apprentice, that put some serious bifurcating in Anikans reasoning that he joined the separatists at the height of the Clones Wars... More so than he just met a kindly old Sith who convinced him the Jedi were crap.

This book was put into print and approved by Lucas.

Someone on the ranch agrees with this silly point of view.

Old September 27 2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^It's Anakin, not Anikan.
Old September 27 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

Despite Anikan being a clueless douchebag (played by a clueless douchebag) I think he probably picked it up along the way, maybe in a late night cuddle session.
Old September 27 2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^It's Anakin, not Anikan.
It's also "big girls blouse" and not Jedi Knight.

When did you figure out that his full name was "Little Orphan Annie"?

I'd take that ginger mutt to guard my 6 in a Barney over that Jedi ponce any day of the week.

Old September 28 2012, 12:46 AM   #8
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Anakin and the Jedi knew there was a Darth Sidious by name (but not who it was) since AotC, when Dooku told Obi-Wan about a Dark Lord of the Sith named Sidious who controlled the Republic Senate. He finally put together that Palpatine was the Sith Lord (after ignoring the metric fuckton of breadcrumbs that Palpatine dropped for him beforehand) when Palpatine told him about how he could only save Padme by joining him and betraying the Jedi.

He should have known the extent of Sidious' control of the Separatists by the fact that he just called them up and ordered them to stand down their droid armies and wait for Anakin on Mustafar, but since Anakin didn't pick up on the massive hints by Palpatine during the Cirque du Mon Calamari sperm penetrating the egg hovering water show or the fact that he had a giant dark side vs light side battle frieze hanging in his office (apparently the Jedi thought it was paying them respect) along with other Sith artifacts, who knows? Anakin and the Jedi can be real dumbasses sometimes.

One of the books I missed probably goes into more detail about what Anakin knew or not.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 12:59 AM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I always took it that Skywalker knew that there was a Sith operating somewhere in the Republic, but didn't know (or rather, didn't believe) that it was the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic until Palpatine all but actually told him. One of the things repeated during the prequel was that the Dark Side was hard to see unless it was pretty much smacking you in the face. As powerful with the Force as Skywalker was, he still couldn't divine the truth about Palpatine being Darth Sidious any more than the other Jedi Masters could, IMO.
Old September 28 2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So Joe Sixpack is fine with a Sith running the show after 10,000 years of Jedi propaganda?

Han doesn't believe in the Jedi, Luke had never heard of them, it's almost like Palpatine had been taking lessons from Big Brother about revisionist history to remove any belief in the force et all along with the ignominy of the Sith.

(Just to repeat, I would never have thought Annie was this dense. I can now see it's possible that he could be that dense because "Ghost Prison" leapt to action from some strange places.)

Old September 28 2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I always took it that Skywalker knew that there was a Sith operating somewhere in the Republic, but didn't know (or rather, didn't believe) that it was the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic until Palpatine all but actually told him. One of the things repeated during the prequel was that the Dark Side was hard to see unless it was pretty much smacking you in the face. As powerful with the Force as Skywalker was, he still couldn't divine the truth about Palpatine being Darth Sidious any more than the other Jedi Masters could, IMO.
Yes, because the Force is the only means of figuring things out...

(Sure, this is Skywalker we're talking about and common sense is a nonexistent concept regarding that bloodline, but the point remains.)
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So Joe Sixpack is fine with a Sith running the show after 10,000 years of Jedi propaganda?

Han doesn't believe in the Jedi, Luke had never heard of them, it's almost like Palpatine had been taking lessons from Big Brother about revisionist history to remove any belief in the force et all along with the ignominy of the Sith.
I think it's true, but I also think that most people didn't believe in the force unless you actually met a Jedi. I get the impression that the Republican was so big that you probably never did so you just assumed stories were exaggerated. You probably started trusting more in the professional army during the Clone Wars and may have even believed Palpatine when he said that they tried to assassinate him. Then you have 30 years of propaganda to essentially erase any belief in the force that was left.
Old September 28 2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Mr Light
Admiral

I don't remember the particular source, but I know that the general public does NOT know that Palpatine has any powers. They think he's a normal man. And they do not know he was behind the Seperatists.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 02:47 PM   #14
DWF
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

It's likely that Luke didn't know that much because of his uncle.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 02:49 PM   #15
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

There's also the remote location of Tatooine to take into consideration. Most inhabitants of the planet probably didn't receive galactic news quickly, and many of them may not have been all that knowledgeable about recent galactic history.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote