Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 18 2012, 11:55 PM   #1636
STR
Captain

Re: Mass Effect 3

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
I have a question about Mass Effect 3 exactly what do I need to get the final renegade/paragon conversation options for the final talk with the Illusive Man In the Citadel control room thingy?
My understanding is that it's not stats related; it's tied to your dialogue choices with the IM throughout the entire game. You need to always pick the renegade option, or always take the paragon option, during the earlier dialogues.
Oh okay I used the renegade conversation option on Mars so that may have had something to do with it.

Well the renegade interupt still worked so that was good enough for that playthrough
One a second playthough (imported from ME2, played through to end, reimported from ME3) I was able to play out both options in the ending.
Old September 19 2012, 12:04 AM   #1637
Delsaber
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
Personally I hope whatever they decide to do with the Mass Effect franchise from here on out lives up to or even exceeds the standards set by the first trilogy, but I can't help but feel wary of further disappointment. Time will tell.
Exactly this, plus I've seen a lot of franchises over the years that I care about as much as Mass Effect mishandled or sold short by new teams. Suikoden, Phantasy Star, Valkyria Chronicles, Star Control... as many failures in transition as there have been surprising success stories like Fallout, really.

Silver lining: at least we know that due to TOR's failure, whatever comes next for Mass Effect probably won't be an MMO.
Old September 19 2012, 12:56 AM   #1638
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^That is strangely comforting. Personally I have a really hard time understanding the appeal of MMOs and I'd hate to see Mass Effect go down that road.

As for you other point; I think cases like the successful Fallout revival (so far..ish. MMO still a distic danger IIRC) and Deus Ex are the exception rather than the rule. Most of the recent spate of revivals and further "franchising" of existing IPs has been decidedly rocky...the new X-Com looks promising though...

Incidentally what happened to 'Valkyria Chronicles'? I only got a PS3 a few months back and that was one of the first games I bought for it. Loving it so far, though I'm a bit stuck on that mission with the ridiculously giganomous tank thing...have they cacked up the sequels already?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 01:08 AM   #1639
Delsaber
Commodore

I know that mission well. You can grenade the radiators on the giant tank easier than you can hit them with lancer shots.

For reasons that continue to escape me, Sega redirected the Valkyria sequels to the PSP, the last of which didn't even get an English localization. As you'd no doubt expect, the loss of all that hardware muscle meant that PSP versions were mere shadows of the PS3 original.

Last I heard, the franchise is now in social/mobile territory. A boon in Asia I suppose, but certainly not helping the fans over here.

In Sega's defence however, they're in no shape right now to bankroll much else.
Old September 19 2012, 02:42 PM   #1640
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Delsaber wrote: View Post
...on the other hand, Mass Effect is a huge tentpole for me personally, as my favourite franchise of this generation. I'd rather see it end now than be subjected to a "new trilogy" situation where I have to start actively decanonizing stuff in my mind. I don't want to be that guy.
I can sympathize with this view.

ME is my favourite franchise of this generation too, by a long distance, so this news both intrigues and terrifies me. On the one hand I wouldn't want the franchise to outstay its welcome, but on the other, I'm nowhere near ready to say goodbye to it all yet.

Personally, Mass Effect is to me in this generation what Final Fantasy was in the last two.
Old September 26 2012, 08:52 PM   #1641
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well this is a surprise! I wonder how much EA had to pay Microsoft to get ME1 onto the PS3.
Old September 27 2012, 04:46 PM   #1642
John Clark
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
Well this is a surprise! I wonder how much EA had to pay Microsoft to get ME1 onto the PS3.
Good news for PS3er's in particular. I wonder how much they'll edit the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 to take into account all the appropriate choices from ME1.
Old September 27 2012, 04:57 PM   #1643
ATimson
Rear Admiral

John Clark wrote: View Post
I wonder how much they'll edit the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 to take into account all the appropriate choices from ME1.
They shouldn't have to do any editing for that, if they made the game right in the first place: leave all the code/etc. in place, even though there won't be any saves with the flags.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 06:10 PM   #1644
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I wonder how much they'll edit the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 to take into account all the appropriate choices from ME1.
They shouldn't have to do any editing for that, if they made the game right in the first place: leave all the code/etc. in place, even though there won't be any saves with the flags.
Plus lets not forget Mass Effect: Genesis does let you make some of those choices

All they really need to do is change it so you can import a ME 1 save.

So is there a chance of just being able to get Mass Effect for those of us who already have Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 on the PS3?

Last edited by Hartzilla2007; September 27 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 07:38 PM   #1645
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Yeah - ME1 will be available on its own via PSN.
Old September 27 2012, 09:10 PM   #1646
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I imagine it would have actually been *harder* to remove that content and functionality when they did the port than leaving it as-is. So it's all probably still there and it just needs a save file with the right plot flags.
Old September 28 2012, 02:54 AM   #1647
Delsaber
Commodore

I wonder if the PS3 version of ME1 will be ported from the 360 original or the PC version... the former would seem to be the most logical, but if it's the latter, then we'll get all those UI improvements along with it. I might actually have to buy this whole shebang on the PS3 if that happens, and I already have all three on the 360...
Old September 29 2012, 07:51 PM   #1648
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Sweet, I don't have to rebuy the whole trilogy.
Old September 29 2012, 09:40 PM   #1649
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Pretty sure they said that ME1 will be $14.99 on PSN.
Old September 29 2012, 10:14 PM   #1650
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Pretty sure they said that ME1 will be $14.99 on PSN.
Thats good seeing as the full trilogy set is about $60 bucks which is $20 per game I'd really be saving $5 or more depending on how much I would have gotten for the trade in of 2 and 3.