Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old September 27 2012, 05:05 PM   #31
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Axanar

Linnear wrote: View Post
Since there are going to be two fleets fighting at The Battle of Axanar, we are going to need multiple ship classes for each race. For Starfleet, we will be using the Kelvin class, and will be creating 3-5 more ship classes. Same for Klingons.

So we are thinking of running a contest for 3D modelers to design a ship we would use. I ran it by Tobias and he likes the idea. Thought I would run it by you all and see what you guys think.

Alec
Sounds like an interesting idea. With the kelvin are you going with the jj look or more like the Classic look? As for the fleet that sounds like fun.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 06:17 PM   #32
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Titan Designer wrote: View Post
Sounds like an interesting idea. With the kelvin are you going with the jj look or more like the Classic look? As for the fleet that sounds like fun.
Tobias already has a Kelvin model and since it is basically canon, we are going with that. Remember, everything up until the point at which the Narada shows up is PRIME timeline.

Alec
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 06:55 PM   #33
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Tobias already has a Kelvin model and since it is basically canon, we are going with that. Remember, everything up until the point at which the Narada shows up is PRIME timeline.

Alec
Well, everything up unitl 1930 is the same. If and when the Nu-Kirk goes back through the Guardian of Forever, he might make some subtle changes to the time line that make things different from the timeline that Kirk Prime knew. Nu-Kirk might have created something inadvertantly in 1930 that makes everything in the Prime timeline become the J.J. universe. The interference might all have started a couple of centuries earlier, way back in 1930 before the Narada ever showed up.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 11:14 PM   #34
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

[QUOTE=GSchnitzer;7021801]
Well, everything up unitl 1930 is the same. If and when the Nu-Kirk goes back through the Guardian of Forever, he might make some subtle changes to the time line that make things different from the timeline that Kirk Prime knew. Nu-Kirk might have created something inadvertantly in 1930 that makes everything in the Prime timeline become the J.J. universe. The interference might all have started a couple of centuries earlier, way back in 1930 before the Narada ever showed up.
Incorrect. Everything up to 2233 (Arrival of the Narada) is the same. It is all speculation what will or will not happen in the JJverse. In fact one should assume things will NOT happen the way they do in the Prime timeline as we obviously saw in the first new movie and which we will see as Khan appears in the new movie differently.

Fortunately, the head of brand management for Star Trek, who also runs licensing and who is basically in charge of Current canon for CBS was in my warehouse (I am the archivist for Star Trek for CBS) as I read your post and I addressed this with him. He said everything up to 2233 is the same in BOTH timelines and canon.

The whole point is the original "prime" timeline is intact. The new movie created a new timeline totally separate from the "prime" timeline, with the point of divergence being the arrival of the Narada. Things will happen differently in the new universe and obviously already have.

And then one can argue that any interference with the timeline before 2233 by the new universe will create a NEW alternate universe.

Alec

Last edited by Linnear; September 27 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old September 28 2012, 04:00 PM   #35
E-DUB
Captain

I have a somewhat different take. My theory is that what we saw at the beginning of "Trek '09" was not the prime universe from TOS but a universe altered by all the time-travely stuff from "Enterprise".
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 04:59 PM   #36
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

OK, so here is a question we are discussing on the production team.

"Axanar" takes place in 2245, 20 years before TOS (The Enterprise is launched in 2245). We know the Kelvin (2233) is canon. In the "alternate" timeline of JJ verse, we have ships in 2258 that look Kelvin like, but are obviously older than the new Enterprise. So these ships probably were built before 2233, in fact it makes sense that they were.

We at "Axanar" are not bound by any design aesthetic IMHO, but we want to craft one that makes sense in canon. Our interiors will all look like TOS but with changes. So the ships need to look similar to TOS as well as the Kelvin design aesthetic.

Our designs are squarely BETWEEN 2233 and the Kelvin and 2245 and the TOS Enterprise (launched 2245 and so the pinnacle of Starfleet design). I think we are going to go with the ST 09 ships and assume that they are the generation BEFORE the Ares and two generations before Enterprise.

We might even upgrade some of them with Ares style engines.

I would love to hear what people think about this.

Alec

Old September 28 2012, 06:06 PM   #37
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I think that's a fair enough approach. The only thing about the Kelvin era ships I don't particularly like, is that they just seem a bit too big for the era.
Old September 28 2012, 06:36 PM   #38
Avon
Fleet Captain

i'd say don't get hung up about what is canon, what timeline,etc as at this point its all so convoluted as to become tedious.

coolness and a gripping story is what everyone should want ;D

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 06:43 PM   #39
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

I have forwarded a few ideas to Alec and Tobias to look over. The fleet should look cool when fleshed out.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 07:09 PM   #40
skree
Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, so here is a question we are discussing on the production team.

"Axanar" takes place in 2245, 20 years before TOS (The Enterprise is launched in 2245). We know the Kelvin (2233) is canon. In the "alternate" timeline of JJ verse, we have ships in 2258 that look Kelvin like, but are obviously older than the new Enterprise. So these ships probably were built before 2233, in fact it makes sense that they were.

We at "Axanar" are not bound by any design aesthetic IMHO, but we want to craft one that makes sense in canon. Our interiors will all look like TOS but with changes. So the ships need to look similar to TOS as well as the Kelvin design aesthetic.

Our designs are squarely BETWEEN 2233 and the Kelvin and 2245 and the TOS Enterprise (launched 2245 and so the pinnacle of Starfleet design). I think we are going to go with the ST 09 ships and assume that they are the generation BEFORE the Ares and two generations before Enterprise.

We might even upgrade some of them with Ares style engines.

I would love to hear what people think about this.

Alec

How about some ships from the Spaceflight Chronology
Old September 28 2012, 07:14 PM   #41
USS Intrepid
Commodore

junxon wrote: View Post
i'd say don't get hung up about what is canon, what timeline,etc as at this point its all so convoluted as to become tedious.

I'd agree with that too.
Old September 28 2012, 09:14 PM   #42
FredH
Captain

Honestly, I find it difficult to believe that all, or even most, of the Federation ships other than the Enterprise were of pre-2233 design. Why would the entire available squadron at the heart of the Federation consist of quarter-century-old ships? (Unless they simply haven't been building new hulls for a couple of decades, for some reason, and Enterprise represents the first new construction in a long time. But why would that happen?)

ETA: Also, if they're in existence that long ago and hence part of the Prime timeline's Starfleet as well, why aren't we still using suitably-refit monster ships for the major actions?
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 03:54 AM   #43
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

Alec
That is a little tough to swallow. I personally wouldn't include anything that reflects the design sensibilities and ethos of Sub-Prime Trek. Just not a fan. But, it's your baby. Wish your production all the best. I do like that you are tipping the hat to FASA. They, Star Fleet Battles, and the Technical Manual were important in keeping TOS new during the 70's and 80's. Atleast for me.

On a tangent related to the Trek splintering of TOS Prime... I consider the battle with the Borg in FC to be where the Timelines diverge. I see ENT and, by several references to ENT, Trek 11 as being directly tied to Picard and the Borg interacting with Cochrane in Earth's future past.

Last edited by DestinyCaptain; September 29 2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: I had another idea...
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 04:41 AM   #44
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
junxon wrote: View Post

I'd agree with that too.
Since I think it's a given that you can't please everyone (true enough in real life, even more so here) the first goal should be to please yourselves. You obviously have excellent concepts and the ability to bring them to life. However, much we might collectively grumble and nitpick over minutiae, the bottom line is still telling a good story. So have at it, have fun and don't worry if your attention to detail doesn't quite match someone else's. This is your show and if it doesn't make you (collectively) happy it probably doesn't have much chance of making everyone else happy!
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 05:27 PM   #45
USS Intrepid
Commodore

DestinyCaptain wrote: View Post
On a tangent related to the Trek splintering of TOS Prime... I consider the battle with the Borg in FC to be where the Timelines diverge. I see ENT and, by several references to ENT, Trek 11 as being directly tied to Picard and the Borg interacting with Cochrane in Earth's future past.
Except that's clearly not what the writers and producers intended.