RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Posts: 5,212,593
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 586
Newest member: Trek's Offender


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 26 2012, 02:22 AM   #466
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Well considering Corporate Luthor is the only one who counts.
In what sense? Luthor was an evil scientist/inventor for the first 45 years of his existence as a character; the corporate persona is only 26 years old to date.
Not even 26 years old when you consider that DC more or less abandoned "corporate Lex" after Lex lost the presidency in 2004. After that he was pretty much back to being an evil scientist (though he did attempt to rebuild LexCorp once or twice)

Besides if we want to look at Superman and how he would appear in a Justice League movie pretty much everything prior to the reboot is probably out.
There is no reason whatsoever to assume that...
I think Hartzilla was referring to the belief that the latest reboot was intended as a way to make the comics more like the upcoming movie in the name of "synergy."
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 05:17 PM   #467
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

[QUOTE=the G-man;7014397]
Christopher wrote: View Post
Besides if we want to look at Superman and how he would appear in a Justice League movie pretty much everything prior to the reboot is probably out.
There is no reason whatsoever to assume that...
I think Hartzilla was referring to the belief that the latest reboot was intended as a way to make the comics more like the upcoming movie in the name of "synergy."
Well that and the Man of Steel trailer has scenes that look like their based on Grant Morrison's run on the rebooted Action Comics. Not to mention the superman suit looks sort of like the NEW 52 version.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 10:32 PM   #468
Kai "the spy"
Commodore
 
Kai "the spy"'s Avatar
 
Location: Here.
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Well that and the Man of Steel trailer has scenes that look like their based on Grant Morrison's run on the rebooted Action Comics. Not to mention the superman suit looks sort of like the NEW 52 version.
You actually believe the New 52 was even planned when MoS started production?!
__________________
Chicks dig red trunks!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 10:58 PM   #469
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Movies have a vastly larger audience and bring in vastly larger profits than comics, so of course it would be the comics trying to emulate the movie, not the other way around. Just as comics have always tried to follow the lead of their mass-media adaptations -- from Superman comics incorporating characters, ideas, and phrases from the radio series (including Jimmy, Perry, the Planet, and kryptonite) to Batman comics adopting Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya, and so on.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 05:56 AM   #470
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Well that and the Man of Steel trailer has scenes that look like their based on Grant Morrison's run on the rebooted Action Comics. Not to mention the superman suit looks sort of like the NEW 52 version.
You actually believe the New 52 was even planned when MoS started production?!
Or it could you know be the other way around where MoS may have inspired the New 52 Superman.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 12:12 PM   #471
Icemizer
Fleet Captain
 
Icemizer's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

^The lawsuit inspired both of them.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 02:15 PM   #472
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Or it could you know be the other way around where MoS may have inspired the New 52 Superman.
As I just said, that's overwhelmingly more likely. The movie was already in the works when the New 52 version came along, and the movie will be far more lucrative for DC/Time Warner than the comics could ever be. So of course the comics would be following the lead of the mass-media version, the same as they've been doing since the 1940s.

Although I have to ask, what evidence of commonalities between the movies and the current comics do we actually have? The only thing I can think of is that both Superman costumes have ditched the red trunks. But that just seems to be a product of modern fashion sense; the trunks-over-tights look of classic superheroes, based on the outfits of '40s circus strongmen and acrobats, are widely ridiculed today as "underwear on the outside." Since it's generally fallen out of fashion, it could just be that both the movie and comics versions are reflecting contemporary tastes, rather than one deliberately copying the other. So is there any other evidence of commonality?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 03:31 PM   #473
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Christopher wrote: View Post
Movies have a vastly larger audience and bring in vastly larger profits than comics, so of course it would be the comics trying to emulate the movie, not the other way around. Just as comics have always tried to follow the lead of their mass-media adaptations -- from Superman comics incorporating characters, ideas, and phrases from the radio series (including Jimmy, Perry, the Planet, and kryptonite) to Batman comics adopting Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya, and so on.
And most recently Chloe appeared in the comics, after being created for Smallville.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 04:48 PM   #474
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Christopher wrote: View Post
Although I have to ask, what evidence of commonalities between the movies and the current comics do we actually have?
Besides the suit I'm pretty sure one of the MoS trailer hinted at Superman not being trusted by people like he usually is which is also happening in the new comics. There was also the whole being captured by the military thing I believe is in one trailer which happened at the end of NuAction #1 and carried on in NuAction #2.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 05:04 PM   #475
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Besides the suit I'm pretty sure one of the MoS trailer hinted at Superman not being trusted by people like he usually is which is also happening in the new comics. There was also the whole being captured by the military thing I believe is in one trailer which happened at the end of NuAction #1 and carried on in NuAction #2.
But that's not unprecedented in earlier Superman tales. There was a subplot in season 1 of Lois and Clark about a government agent investigating Superman as a possibly hostile alien. There was General Hardcastle in an episode of Superman: The Animated Series, the whole Cadmus arc on Justice League Unlimited, the vigilante-registration/Civil War knockoff storyline that Smallville did in its last season, etc. It's got enough of a pedigree, and is enough a part of the modern zeitgeist for alien-on-Earth stories and superhero stories, that the movie and comics could be building on it independently rather than one being directly inspired by the other.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 01:59 AM   #476
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

First Marvel hires Joss Whedon to oversee their movies, then FOX does the same with Mark Millar for their Marvel projects, and now comes the completely unsubstantiated rumor that WB is gauging fan interest in a Justice League movie with Frank Miller's name attached.

Former Justice League artist Kevin Maguire tweeted...

“NO #%&!-ING WAY! JUST NO #%&!-ING WAY!”
and...

“Miller doesn’t love the characters, he $#!^$ on them.”
I'm with Kevin.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 04:14 AM   #477
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

I don't think Maguire was using the same substitution cipher for the different profanities.

And I don't think any movie -- or comic, or anything else -- from Frank Miller would be worthwhile. Whatever talent he may have had in the past, he's become a self-caricature now.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 04:29 AM   #478
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Christopher wrote: View Post
And I don't think any movie -- or comic, or anything else -- from Frank Miller would be worthwhile. Whatever talent he may have had in the past, he's become a self-caricature now.
Are you saying that as a writer or a fan? Is that your professional opinion?
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 04:50 AM   #479
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

I'm not sure I understand the question. I have no professional involvement with anything he does, so of course I can only comment as a spectator.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 05:23 AM   #480
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Well that and the Man of Steel trailer has scenes that look like their based on Grant Morrison's run on the rebooted Action Comics. Not to mention the superman suit looks sort of like the NEW 52 version.
You actually believe the New 52 was even planned when MoS started production?!
Or it could you know be the other way around where MoS may have inspired the New 52 Superman.
Well, in terms of the suit, this is something that Jim Lee came up with ten years ago.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
justice league

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.