Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 26 2012, 04:25 AM   #1
JD
Admiral

British Fantasy Series Sinbad Coming to Syfy

I just found out that Syfy has (possibly?) picked up the British fantasy series, Sinbad. I've been curious about this one since I saw of the first trailer before it aired over in the UK. It looks like it could be fun to me. It definitely gives off kind of a Middle Eastern Merlin vibe. I love Merlin so that is only a plus for me.
Here's the description off of TV.com:
Sinbad finds himself at sea having fled his home - and had a curse put on him by his grandmother - in his hometown of Basra. Of course, it's not plain sailing and his ship, Providence, soon stumbles across a storm which forces the unlikely band of travellers together. The 12-part series promises "a 21st century take on the classic 8th century iconic hero" for Sky1. Newcomer Elliot Knight plays Sinbad while his nemesis Lord Akbari is played by Lost's Naveen Andrews
Old September 26 2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: British Fantasy Series Sinbad Coming to Syfy

I watched the pilot when it came out.

For second century Baghdad they were all just two clean.

In all fairness as the show continued it could have been as bad as Herclues or as good as Xena.

But that's the limits we're talking about here.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The series has been out in Canada for months, it just finished it's first series last week.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 05:15 PM   #4
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Two clean what? Two clean people? Two clean businesses?
Old September 26 2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I watched the pilot when it came out.

I imagine the same thing could be said of every single Sinbad movie ever made, including the classic Ray Harryhausen films.

Who expects gritty, historical realism from SINBAD of all things?
Old September 26 2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Saw an episode awhile back wasn't too impressed. I began by liking it, but as it progressed it became more and more nonsensical, and by the time the episode had ended, I couldn't tell what had happened.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

The depiction of people from the past as squalid and unwashed is largely a fictional conceit. They actually had pretty good hygiene in most civilized parts of the world. It was really only in Northern Europe that bathing was uncommon in medieval times, and that probably had to do with the cold climate.

We're actually talking about the eighth century for this show, not the second; that's the early Islamic era, and Islam has always placed a high premium on physical cleanliness as a fundamental part of ritual purity. And even aside from the ritual aspects, the medieval Islamic world had very sophisticated knowledge of medicine and health, and would have understood the importance of cleanliness. The neighboring Byzantine Empire, with which they would've had active commerce and cultural exchange, had some of the highest hygienic standards in the medieval world.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i'll give it a shot. didn't even know a British Sinbad series existed. anyone remember the late 90s Sinbad series? i remember watching it quite a bit. it was alright.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
anyone remember the late 90s Sinbad series? i remember watching it quite a bit. it was alright.
It was mediocre, neither the best nor the worst of the glut of syndicated fantasy-action series that arose to mimic Xena around that time. It was mainly annoying for having a mostly white cast, and even having Sinbad apparently be a European who'd been displaced to the Mideast -- and for having its one black cast member be stuck playing a mute character. On the plus side, one of its regulars was George Buza, who was the voice of Beast in the '90s X-Men animated series (and a trucker in the first X-Men movie, coincidentally).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Saw an episode awhile back wasn't too impressed. I began by liking it, but as it progressed it became more and more nonsensical, and by the time the episode had ended, I couldn't tell what had happened.
Interested by the trailers, I series linked it to record. I watched the first three and deleted the rest. At best it's just about O.K. - give it a try and make your own mind up though...
Old September 26 2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Ah cool, a new Syfy original series.

Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Christopher wrote: View Post
Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
anyone remember the late 90s Sinbad series? i remember watching it quite a bit. it was alright.
It was mediocre, neither the best nor the worst of the glut of syndicated fantasy-action series that arose to mimic Xena around that time. It was mainly annoying for having a mostly white cast, and even having Sinbad apparently be a European who'd been displaced to the Mideast -- and for having its one black cast member be stuck playing a mute character. On the plus side, one of its regulars was George Buza, who was the voice of Beast in the '90s X-Men animated series (and a trucker in the first X-Men movie, coincidentally).
i haven't watched it in ages but i thought it was a decent show. i remember it had some shoddy CGI monsters and the main girl was pretty hot. thats about the extent of my memories though.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Oh god, I remember the trailers for this (Sky plugged it pretty aggressively). Looked like the worst thing this side of Merlin. I'd assumed it'd get cancelled quickly, but maybe not, I guess?
Old September 26 2012, 11:21 PM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Oh god, I remember the trailers for this (Sky plugged it pretty aggressively). Looked like the worst thing this side of Merlin. I'd assumed it'd get cancelled quickly, but maybe not, I guess?
Hey, some of us like Merlin!