Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 26 2012, 09:26 PM   #16
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: Thomas Edison crime fighter? NBC pilot in development

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard of. Of course, I'm going to go out and write my own spec script where Samuel Clemons works with the first female (and sexy!) police detective to solve crimes in New York. It'll be called Twain.
Old September 26 2012, 09:36 PM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

The idea of Edison fighting crime rather than perpetrating it is rather amusing, considering the man made a living taking credit (and payment) for the inventions of others and did his very best to establish a plainly illegal monopoly on the early film industry before government intervention. Of course, a show that featured his flaws as well as his achievements might be interesting, but this looks rather below that level of ambition. Pass.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 10:12 PM   #18
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Since the big four broadcast networks no longer make miniseries or even TV-movies to my knowledge, a serious Edison film would only be an HBO possibility. But even then, with no violence, drug use, uninhibited sexuality or profanity, I doubt even they would go for it.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 10:53 PM   #19
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Ghandi, war hero.

Ghandi........In the 25th century!

Fighting space aliens and getting the girl in every episode.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 11:26 PM   #20
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I suppose after this, anything is fair game.

Old September 26 2012, 11:52 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Is it really possible that I myself have no rights after my death? Lincoln gets turned into a vampire killer, Edison gets turned into a crime fighter... I kinda dislike stuff like that. It skews the facts and over time, the masses will not know the guys for what they really were, but from what they've seen on TV.
I don't know. I would kill to be remembered by posterity as a crime-fighting wendigo . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 27 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 01:13 AM   #22
the G-man
Commodore

foxhot wrote: View Post
Since the big four broadcast networks no longer make miniseries or even TV-movies to my knowledge, a serious Edison film would only be an HBO possibility...
I was going to suggest the History Channel but, if they made the movie, Edison would construct all his inventions in the back of pawn shop.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 01:20 AM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
Since the big four broadcast networks no longer make miniseries or even TV-movies to my knowledge, a serious Edison film would only be an HBO possibility...
I was going to suggest the History Channel but, if they made the movie, Edison would construct all his inventions in the back of pawn shop.
Actually, History had a huge success with "Hatfieds and McCoys" so they're probably open to more historical miniseries. Whether they'll go for a gripping drama about a famous inventor is another story!

Wanna bet they're thinking about the Shoot-Out at the OK Corral? Or maybe Little Big Horn?
Old September 27 2012, 04:45 AM   #24
TemporalFlux
Commodore

I do find it interesting that General Electric has a 49% stake in NBC, and General Electric was the company that Thomas Edison started. It's the set up for the ultimate product placement as Edison will probably spend time talking about how great his company is.
TemporalFlux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 05:28 AM   #25
scotpens
Vice Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
I do find it interesting that General Electric has a 49% stake in NBC, and General Electric was the company that Thomas Edison started. It's the set up for the ultimate product placement as Edison will probably spend time talking about how great his company is.
And they'll probably gloss over the fact that Edison's rival, George Westinghouse, was right in promoting AC (alternating current), while Edison's direct current was a technological dead end.
Old September 27 2012, 07:06 AM   #26
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

What's next? HG Wells as a time travelling female adventurer? Winston Churchill and Daleks? Mark Twain on the Enterprise? Amelia Earhart in the Delta Quadrant? Madness!

I agree probably a missed opportunity to use the cooler Tesla. After all, no show has ever featured him prominently.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 12:39 PM   #27
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mark Twain, the time traveler. Err...
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 02:31 PM   #28
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Here's an idea for a show: WHEN NBC WASN'T CRAP, Starring Grant Tinker as himself, now a time traveller who travels AHEAD three decades in time to find out what the hell happened to his once-proud network...and eliminate all imbecilic reality shows from the face of the Earth. Co-starring the old, younger, funny version of Jay Leno.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 03:26 PM   #29
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

This just in: NBC casts Idris Elba as Thomas Edison.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 03:33 PM   #30
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kirby wrote: View Post
This is one of the dumbest things I've heard of. Of course, I'm going to go out and write my own spec script where Samuel Clemons works with the first female (and sexy!) police detective to solve crimes in New York. It'll be called Twain.
Love it! But maybe he was pursuing master criminal Edgar Allen Poe, and gets sucked into the present by the end of the pilot? That'd really help with the whole budget thing.

And this is before he grew the bushy mustache, right? We can't have that in there, but maybe his criticising other peoples' mustaches can be a running gag. It shows our intelligence and respect for history. That, and his all-white wardrobe. Hey, how about this: because of a terrorist attack by JD Salinger, the police precint has to commandeer and relocate to... a creaky old steam-wheel riverboat. Fantastic. It's always nice to give a highbrow product such as this an extra sheen of class from time to time.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote