RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,332
Posts: 5,353,320
Members: 24,619
Currently online: 657
Newest member: nmatos2005

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 26 2012, 04:08 AM   #46
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Dream wrote: View Post
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Chevy-Ch...e-1053692.aspx

Chevy Chase says his decision to participate in Community was a "big mistake" and that he considers sitcoms to be "the lowest form of television," according to the Huffington Post's UK edition.

Though he was quick to compliment his colleagues on the NBC comedy, Chase said he was drawn to it because of the steady paycheck. But that may have been a poor decision in hindsight, he says.

"It was a big mistake!" Chase said when asked why he made the leap from movies to television to play millionaire Pierce Hawthorne on the show. "I saw this pilot script, thought that it was funny, and I went into the room where they were casting and said, 'I would love to play this guy.' Then they mulled it over. Then they hired me and I just sort of hung around because I have three daughters and a wife, and I figured out I might as well make some bread every week. ... [But] the hours in this kind of show are not commensurate with the actual product."

Chase's disdain apparently extends beyond Community to the entire genre.

"The hours are hideous, and it's still a sitcom on television, which is probably the lowest form of television," he told the Huffington Post UK. "I think the reason I have stuck around is because I love these kids, the cast - they are very good. It's not like I am working with the great innovators of all time, but at the same time, they are my friends."
Wow, he sounds like a really nice guy.
So, he already had am extremely low (and ridiculous, considering some of the things he's done which are not much different in style or were much worse in execution) opinion of sitcoms --of which Community is hardly a conventional example, already knew about the work ethic required to do them, and based solely on the strength of the character in the pilot and the desire for a steady paycheck, he used his star power to get on the show in a different way then everyone else and proceeded to make things difficult for the showrunners and cast (whom he allegedly admires while simultaneously dissing them) from day one. What a cockbag.

He knew there would be long hours, so why pursue it? If you're concerned about having a steady paycheck, then bite your fucking tongue and go with the program. It's hard work but it's not like you're standing over a hot stove all day for minimum wage. Be grateful for what you have.

If you think the entire sitcom genre is a wasteland, then why get involved at all? Because you liked the character in the pilot? He seriously didn't consider the implications of that character continuing beyond the first episode? Obviously he did because he wanted the steady paycheck, so again, bite your fucking tongue and do your job, you hypocritical asshole. Really, what's so much more objectionable about the format and execution of sitcoms than variety/sketch shows like SNL, talk shows like his horrid late night show, or comedy movies?

If he liked the cast so much, he wouldn't constantly walk off the set and delay filming like a prima donna, he wouldn't be badmouthing them or their livelihood in public, and he wouldn't put them in the awkward position of having to take sides or remain neutral between him and the showrunners in public statements.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 04:27 AM   #47
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Having just finished a full watch of S1 on DVD, this is a bit of a gut punch to me. :|

Similar to what other have said, I went in not quite knowing what to expect and was underwhelmed by the first few episodes. The show definitely snowballs though, and I was greatly enjoying it by the end of the season!

Was planning to order S2 along with Avengers from Target until stupid Target sold out...
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 01:34 PM   #48
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Betty White is 90? Wow. She looks pretty good for her age!

Ew! No, not like that.

I mean she just doesn't look like she's 90 and she seems like she's in remarkably good health and active compared to most nonagenarians, even celebrity ones.
Would there be something wrong with it if you were attracted to her "that way"?

Elderly women like sex, too, you know.
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 04:22 PM   #49
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

This thread is hilarious.

Actor says: I think sitcoms are the lowest form of television (which isn't that far fetched actually).

Average TrekBBS member go: Fuck you, asshole! He has always been an asshole. Blablabla.


Locutus of Bored wrote:
He knew there would be long hours, so why pursue it? If you're concerned about having a steady paycheck, then bite your fucking tongue and go with the program. It's hard work but it's not like you're standing over a hot stove all day for minimum wage. Be grateful for what you have.

If you think the entire sitcom genre is a wasteland, then why get involved at all? Because you liked the character in the pilot? He seriously didn't consider the implications of that character continuing beyond the first episode? Obviously he did because he wanted the steady paycheck, so again, bite your fucking tongue and do your job, you hypocritical asshole. Really, what's so much more objectionable about the format and execution of sitcoms than variety/sketch shows like SNL, talk shows like his horrid late night show, or comedy movies?

If he liked the cast so much, he wouldn't constantly walk off the set and delay filming like a prima donna, he wouldn't be badmouthing them or their livelihood in public, and he wouldn't put them in the awkward position of having to take sides or remain neutral between him and the showrunners in public statements.
You actually realize he will never read this rant?


And if he did, you would need to get an infraction for flaming or something, lol.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 04:58 PM   #50
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Jono wrote: View Post
He's nearly 70. Doing a TV show with 20-odd episodes a season isn't easy for those half his age.
Betty White is 90 and she is doing a weekly sitcom with 22 - 24 episodes per season.
And even without the sitcom, she's getting so much favorable attention from fans and other actors/actresses. She seems quite thankful and positive for this resurgence, which happened just a few years ago and she's been nurturing it very well ever since. That's opened a lot of doors for her, and rightly so.

Chevy should take notes.
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I've loved Betty White forever. I think it's her openly fun personality that helps.
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Betty White is 90? Wow. She looks pretty good for her age!

Ew! No, not like that.

I mean she just doesn't look like she's 90 and she seems like she's in remarkably good health and active compared to most nonagenarians, even celebrity ones.
She is so much fun to watch in Hot in Cleveland.

As Rose she had a line in Golden Girls, when the girls were talking about taking care of each other in their old age, that seems almost prophetic in a sad way now: "What if only one of us is left?"
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 05:52 PM   #51
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
This thread is hilarious.

Actor says: I think sitcoms are the lowest form of television (which isn't that far fetched actually).

Average TrekBBS member go: Fuck you, asshole! He has always been an asshole. Blablabla....You actually realize he will never read this rant?
By the same token, none of the celebrities we praise are reading it either. So I guess there is no point to this board whatsoever and we should shut it all down.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 06:13 PM   #52
foxhot
Fleet Captain
 
foxhot's Avatar
 
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Make it no. America needs this vent-a-thon.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 06:38 PM   #53
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote:
He knew there would be long hours, so why pursue it? If you're concerned about having a steady paycheck, then bite your fucking tongue and go with the program. It's hard work but it's not like you're standing over a hot stove all day for minimum wage. Be grateful for what you have.

If you think the entire sitcom genre is a wasteland, then why get involved at all? Because you liked the character in the pilot? He seriously didn't consider the implications of that character continuing beyond the first episode? Obviously he did because he wanted the steady paycheck, so again, bite your fucking tongue and do your job, you hypocritical asshole. Really, what's so much more objectionable about the format and execution of sitcoms than variety/sketch shows like SNL, talk shows like his horrid late night show, or comedy movies?

If he liked the cast so much, he wouldn't constantly walk off the set and delay filming like a prima donna, he wouldn't be badmouthing them or their livelihood in public, and he wouldn't put them in the awkward position of having to take sides or remain neutral between him and the showrunners in public statements.
You actually realize he will never read this rant?
Yes, I do, hence the repeated use of the third person "He" before transitioning into a general "you" and "you're" directed at comments on the behavior rather than the man himself and said for the purpose of talking to the other posters about the situation. But you already knew that, and were just trying to be rude because of your weird obsession with protecting celebrities from comments they'll never see by your own admission.

And if he did, you would need to get an infraction for flaming or something, lol.
Whereas your almost always useless and hostile posts just slide right by. LOL.

In other news of pointless things you've said, how's your quest to protect the rights of long dead 19th and early 20th century historical figures from having exaggerated or completely fictionalized accounts of their lives coming? I hope it doesn't interrupt Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Dinosaur Slayer.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 06:46 PM   #54
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Mhmm, good to know you have some personal grudge against me.

Whereas your almost always useless and hostile posts just slide right by. LOL.
You are the moderator, do something about it then if it's legitimate.

In other news of pointless things you've said, how's your quest to protect the rights of long dead 19th and early 20th century historical figures from having exaggerated or completely fictionalized accounts of their lives coming? I hope it doesn't interrupt Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Dinosaur Slayer.
My QUEST that consisted of one post where I said I "kinda dislike" it, followed by an observation, followed by a clearly tongue in cheek post? Yeah, I'm obsessed with it.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 06:59 PM   #55
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Mhmm, good to know you have some personal grudge against me.
Don't flatter yourself. I don't even think about you except when you say something dumb or rude. That's frequent enough for me.

Did you think you would just come in, make a condescending post that basically renders the entire point of message boards moot and not get a negative response in return? Quit playing the victim.

ETA: I'm not a moderator in this forum, so I couldn't "do anything" about it even if I wanted to, which I don't. I'd rather just tell you what I think and hope it makes a dent than do anything mod-wise.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 07:00 PM   #56
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Well I think you clearly need to calm down a bit.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 08:53 PM   #57
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
This thread is hilarious.

Actor says: I think sitcoms are the lowest form of television (which isn't that far fetched actually).

Average TrekBBS member go: Fuck you, asshole! He has always been an asshole. Blablabla.
A did not lead to B, in this instance.

They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but the two facts can exist independently. But one would only need to read some of the things Chevy has done and said about his experiences on Community to know that he isn't exactly a team player.

Did you know that he films a lot of his scenes on different days from the rest of the cast, on his own "schedule"? They are able to mask this with clever editing, but the fact is that he doesn't always share the screen with his coworkers. Not sure what a curmudgeonly 70 year old man has going on that's more important than his job, but he certainly likes to punch the clock and do the bare minimum for the Pierce role.

And yes, I'm fully aware you were being a troll.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 09:35 PM   #58
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I hope it doesn't interrupt Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Dinosaur Slayer.
I would so watch that show . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 09:44 PM   #59
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

All I'm saying is that it's pretty silly to make such harsh opinions about someone based on hearsay and gossip. Calling him asshole and writing emotional rants about his alleged behavior makes you feel better somehow about yourselves, I get that. And no, I'm not going to stop to point that out, ever. Especially since it doesn't matter if it's about a celebrity or not. It could be a thread about 'My coworker is such a dick.' and everyone chimes in 'Yeah, what an asshole.'
And no, I also won't stop pointing out the hypocrisy every time it comes up. Never forget the Chase Masterson thread, that was a hilarious debacle. It was all fun and games and nobody felt obliged NOT to be rude, until she actually showed up. That's a double standard, and you all know it. Stop being rude in front and behind people. You are actually accusing ME of being rudeand of trolling?! Look in the mirror. We have that behavior all over these message boards. 'William Shatner is an arrogant prick, because I heard so.' It's disgusting trash talk from people who are not involved AT ALl that's what it is.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 10:04 PM   #60
foxhot
Fleet Captain
 
foxhot's Avatar
 
Re: Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Though in Madonna's case, it's probably all true. Especially if she shows up.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
chevy chase, community

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.