Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Brinkmanship.
Outstanding 24 26.67%
Above Average 44 48.89%
Average 16 17.78%
Below Average 4 4.44%
Poor 2 2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26 2012, 06:29 PM   #61
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: TP: Brinkmanship by Una McCormack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

dodge wrote: View Post
A question for those who have read it...

I've picked this up today but haven't read Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn yet. My local bookshop didn't have them so I've ordered them online, but it'll take a week for them to get here. How spoilery is Brinkmanship regarding the plot of PoN/RtD? I already know that
, but that's the only thing I know.

So, should I wait till PoN/RtD get here, or can I dig in now?
I think you should be safe. DS9 and Bajor don't feature in any way. The presence of the Enterprise-E is the possible point of contact, but no spoilers from that end, either.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 06:40 PM   #62
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

dispatcher812 wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
George Orwell: "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

A person who desires to live in the tzenkethi civilization is a person who wants to be nothing more than a mindless tool. Its choice is irrelevant, by its choice - much like it's nonsensical to consider what a computer wants -, because it forwent anything resembling free will.
At most, one could wonder about the extreme psychic deviancy that leads to such a choice.
Yes and that's what I find I like about it. No responsiblility outside what you are supposed to do, no hard decisions to make. No coworkers not pulling there weight or complaing about the job. In my line of work by the time I get home my head is fried. Sometimes a mindless job would be a blessing.
'home'? Where did this come from?
Perhaps you're talking about family, too?

Home, family, friends, interests, etc - All these things are irrelevant to a mindless slave; they involve abilities that it already forwent.
That's what the tzenkethi civilization is.
Old September 26 2012, 06:40 PM   #63
Markonian
Captain

Tzenkethi looks

Hello,

I've just begun to read Brinkmanship and so far, I like it a lot. However, I was wondering: Are there any pictures of the Tzenkethi? Their description is vivid, so they are among the easier-to-imagine species but maybe it would be a good idea to put one/some of them on a novel cover.

Not that I don't like seeing the main characters on the cover but it would be cool, Imho, to see specimens of the important aliens, too.

Last edited by Markonian; September 27 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 06:55 PM   #64
dispatcher812
Lieutenant Commander

dispatcher812 wrote: View Post
George Orwell: "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

A person who desires to live in the tzenkethi civilization is a person who wants to be nothing more than a mindless tool. Its choice is irrelevant, by its choice - much like it's nonsensical to consider what a computer wants -, because it forwent anything resembling free will.
At most, one could wonder about the extreme psychic deviancy that leads to such a choice.
Yes and that's what I find I like about it. No responsiblility outside what you are supposed to do, no hard decisions to make. No coworkers not pulling there weight or complaing about the job. In my line of work by the time I get home my head is fried. Sometimes a mindless job would be a blessing.
'home'? Where did this come from?
Perhaps you're talking about family, too?

Home, family, friends, interests, etc - All these things are irrelevant to a mindless slave; they involve abilities that it already forwent.
That's what the tzenkethi civilization is.
SPOILERS BELOW

Yes Home, as in where I go after work. Even Efheny went 'home' after her shift. It may not be what we consider home but they have then and from what I was able to get out of it they can and do have relationships. The E class are not all together mindless. Cory was able to make a friend, make her own decsions to follow Efheny. I would not call that minless. EE class, now thats a different story.

My point was that sometimes, for me, that would be refreshing. Just like Efheny found in the end.
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 07:01 PM   #65
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

dispatcher812
Efheny went in a cubicle after her shift in order to 'recharge', physiologically speaking. If you think that has any resemblance to the concept of 'home'... ookay.

Cory, unlike Efheny, wanted freedom, to look around her and see what's there. She did not forgo her 'humanity' (insert alien species name+ity), as Efheny did.
Old September 26 2012, 08:32 PM   #66
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Just started an hour ago. Nothing special so far.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 09:18 PM   #67
Astraea
Commander

I really enjoyed this - both the Venetans and the Tzenkethi were interesting, and I do enjoy the more overly political books. If you don't like the political side of Treklit you're probably not going to enjoy this. This and The Never-Ending Sacrifice are probably my two favorite McCormack books, and I'd look forward to any of her future outings.

I'd like to see more of the Aventine crew, and hope we get an eventual book or two that actually features different crewmembers and more character development for them. I enjoyed seeing Ezri as captain, but I'd love to see more of the Aventine as a whole.

I did enjoy the look at the Tzenkethi, and would love to see an illustration. I always like having some sort of visual reference for alien species. I think a comparison to the showcase on the Breen in Zero Sum Game is more apt than to the Cardassians in Never-Ending Sacrifice: this gives us a closer look at a Typhon Pact member through a lens of espionage.

This is really minor, but I could've lived without the updates at the beginnings of later chapters about the Venetans' preparations for conflict - the warnings about fear, need for water collection, etc. I didn't feel it provided much of an extra insight to the Venetans, and the text did a better job of building suspense and a possible lead-up to conflict than those little pre-chapter summaries.
Old September 26 2012, 09:35 PM   #68
Paris
Fleet Captain

Just got it the mail, and I'm through the first chapter. Enjoying it so far
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 05:01 PM   #69
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

I really liked this one, gave it an outstanding. A fun ride that kept me guessing, great narrative style (Today, XXX was going to make a mistake that would change three lives forever). I kind of figured what would happen to the characters on Ab-Tzenketh but the rest of it had me going till near the end. I thought the book was nicely split between the Enterptise & Aventine, Ezri was shown (at least in my opinion) to being on the cusp of breaking out as one of Starfleets best captains, a little rough around the edges but shehas that advantage of her previous lives. She's one of my favorites, I just wish a better photo could be used, hell I could make one.

Can't wait to see where this leads to next in the Typhon Pact series.
Old September 27 2012, 10:21 PM   #70
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^Indeed. I'm very pleased at how Ezri's characterized in the book. I found myself smiling at a particular moment when, while briefing the senior staff, she throws up her hands and says, "I know, I know, it's crazy! But..."

Just to name one moment, but--through and through, Ms. McCormack has her down pat. We can believe, though she clearly is worthy of her command...she's still the Ezri Dax we know and love.

(Aside from the brief "colorful metaphors"...it's how I'd want to write for Ezri.)

Also--at last, we see Ezri going through an emotional arc. We know not just what she's thinking, but feeling. She's a flesh-and-blood character, in this book. As great and awesome a writer as Mack is--I felt something of a distance from Ezri when reading Destiny and ZSG. Ms. McCormack doesn't do that--we know Ezri, in this book.

Oh...and I didn't take Bowers's remark about Alden being a "fox" as meaning he's attracted to him, or anything. It struck me as Sam teasing Ezri on what he sees as her possibly having feelings. I doubt she does, but Sam's probably taking "My friend dated him" to mean "I (but I won't say it's me) dated him."

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Rush Limborg; September 28 2012 at 03:21 AM.
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 07:16 AM   #71
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

SPOILERS!

I finished reading a moment ago and I enjoyed it a lot. What I liked was that not anyone was presented as infallible and perfect. Even the Federation, which usually is "superior" in everything compared to the others, has its darker moments: keeping a former Obsidian Order agent as their ambassador (hehehe), or having not so skilled spy on Ab Tzenketh. I'm also glad to see Ferengi treated seriously and not as a comic relief as they so often are presented.

I'm not so surprised by Nata's choice, though. A strictly hierarchical Tzenkethi society had to be appealing to a Cardassian with strong hierarchical instincts. In spite of all disadvantages, Nata found the thought of staying there comforting and I can see why. I also found it touching how she cared about Cory.

I don't read all new Trek books anymore, but Ms. McCormack's books will always be on my "to read" list

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew

Last edited by Gul Re'jal; September 28 2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added the warning for spoilers
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 11:13 PM   #72
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Wow, I haven't read this yet, but on Amazon.com, it's getting a downpour of negative reviews. (Not that that's preventing me from reading it soon).
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 12:13 AM   #73
Sho
Fleet Captain

IMHO "downpour" is overstating things. Right now there are only five reviews: One five stars, one four stars, two three stars and one two stars. That's a fairly even distribution and too early to call out a trend in terms of sample size.

Add to that the two star review frankly makes my brow go Klingon ("it's an election year, you should only publish escapism, not politics" - what's next, "I hate that I have to get up early in the morning, did the book have to involve time travel?" on the next DTI?).
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 01:08 AM   #74
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Sho wrote: View Post
IMHO "downpour" is overstating things. Right now there are only five reviews: One five stars, one four stars, two three stars and one two stars. That's a fairly even distribution and too early to call out a trend in terms of sample size.

Add to that the two star review frankly makes my brow go Klingon ("it's an election year, you should only publish escapism, not politics" - what's next, "I hate that I have to get up early in the morning, did the book have to involve time travel?" on the next DTI?).
LOL, very true. I don't agree with people who grip simply because it's too realistic or when the author puts his beliefs in the novel.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 01:28 AM   #75
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Personally, I've only read the Aventine parts of it. However...from what I've read of that, it's actually pretty balanced. I don't see Ms. McCormack as imposing anything (unless it's in the Picard parts, maybe?). She delves into a grey area.

Ezri's not being a dove by any means--and Alden's not being a caricature of a hawk.

BTW...I sincerely hope that, if Alden ever shows up again--and I hope he may...

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Rush Limborg; September 29 2012 at 02:00 AM.
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote