TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 24 2012, 09:26 PM   #196
StewMc
Commodore

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
The cropping was just a result of the steep learning curve the team had to traverse at the start of the project. I've been told that apart from the 13 seconds of missing footage found that will be reinserted, the episode won't be changed for Season 3.
Bit disappointing, I can only assume that the reason for that is that they don't have an uncropped version saved, and would have to rescan the negatives again? I suppose its not the end of the world, the only reason I noticed originally is because the production credits after the opening titles were so close to the bottom of the image.
StewMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 09:32 PM   #197
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

StewMc wrote: View Post
The cropping was just a result of the steep learning curve the team had to traverse at the start of the project. I've been told that apart from the 13 seconds of missing footage found that will be reinserted, the episode won't be changed for Season 3.
Bit disappointing, I can only assume that the reason for that is that they don't have an uncropped version saved, and would have to rescan the negatives again? I suppose its not the end of the world, the only reason I noticed originally is because the production credits after the opening titles were so close to the bottom of the image.
Which is weird. Did they crop the image after adding the new opening titles?
Old September 24 2012, 10:22 PM   #198
StewMc
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Good question. If they had added them after the crop, presumably they wouldn't be as far down, unless they were using the original tape version of the episode as a kind of trace so that they appear in the same position and at the same time as the originals. But if that were the case you'd think someone would clock at that point that something major was wrong with the cropping of the new transfer. And, IIRC, not every shot is cropped is it, I think footage that has FX is uncropped?

Don't suppose we know if CBS are keeping the scanned raw footage files after they have finished each episode?
StewMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 11:22 PM   #199
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Good question. If they had added them after the crop, presumably they wouldn't be as far down, unless they were using the original tape version of the episode as a kind of trace so that they appear in the same position and at the same time as the originals. But if that were the case you'd think someone would clock at that point that something major was wrong with the cropping of the new transfer. And, IIRC, not every shot is cropped is it, I think footage that has FX is uncropped?

Don't suppose we know if CBS are keeping the scanned raw footage files after they have finished each episode?
We know they're keeping them, or we wouldn't have seen images like this:

What's commonly done is that the ENTIRE Full Camera Aperture is scanned at 2K (2048 x 1556) and then they make their 1440 x 1080 cropped version from that. So, in the case of "Sins of the Father" CBS is just being stubborn about it -- refusing to re-adjust the framing for the episode. They consider it done... probably because most of the episode doesn't get any tighter than "action safe", so they feel justified in leaving it alone -- even though it's inconsistent with the VFX shots in the episode and every other episode they're doing.
Old September 25 2012, 02:33 AM   #200
NewHorizon
Captain

Extremely disappointed that they're not fixing it. Sure they have a schedule to keep, but come on.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 02:47 AM   #201
dg1379
Commander

I never even noticed the cropping. I'll have to watch it again and pay closer attention.
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 08:05 AM   #202
Mr_Homn
Captain

Not sure if anyone's ever asked CBS what the deal was with the weird cropping of "Sins of the Father" on the sampling disc? I know one theory is that it was cropped for a 16x9 test but then (accidentally?) cropped from that back to 4:3, but not sure if there was ever an official word on the subject, or whether it would be fixed for the season 3 set.
Not doubting what you are saying at all, but "steep learning curve" seems like a silly excuse. It's just a simple matter of cropping the image correctly from the raw footage. I don't see how that is difficult to understand/implement.
Old September 25 2012, 11:32 AM   #203
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Whilst I understand your views, it's important to remember that the budget is incredibly tight for this project. If CBS went back to re-scan the whole episode (which may be the case if their original scanning was cropped for non-FX scenes), the time and expense would be HUGE. What's more, it would divert funds and man-hours away from other episodes which wouldn't benefit as much as they would have done otherwise.

In perspective, "Sins" is still perfectly watchable, and as someone pointed out - it was only really noticed through looking at the credits text.
Old September 25 2012, 01:08 PM   #204
Mott the barber
Commodore

Whilst I understand your views, it's important to remember that the budget is incredibly tight for this project. If CBS went back to re-scan the whole episode (which may be the case if their original scanning was cropped for non-FX scenes), the time and expense would be HUGE. What's more, it would divert funds and man-hours away from other episodes which wouldn't benefit as much as they would have done otherwise.

In perspective, "Sins" is still perfectly watchable, and as someone pointed out - it was only really noticed through looking at the credits text.

Agreed. Id rather they keep moving forward at this point.
Old September 25 2012, 03:12 PM   #205
NewHorizon
Captain

Doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't keep a pristine copy of the new scans backed up somewhere. All of that work scanning them only to hit 'delete' afterward? It would only make sense to keep the full scans for potential future projects.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 10:13 PM   #206
SNogueira
Cadet

OK, let's hope it is part of their learning curve to first compose the episodes with full aperture and then leaving the cropping for after they ended -- and properly saved -- a full aperture version. If that was done in the first place, it would be piece of cake to create multiple cropped versions, without spending so many man-hours.

Interviewer, since you're talking so much with them, do you know if they are making 16x9 versions (cropped, as the docs suggest) for syndication purposes?

Last edited by Mutai Sho-Rin; September 26 2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Removing an individual's name at their request.
SNogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 03:30 AM   #207
asp7485
Lieutenant Commander

Whoah! Check out this tweet from Roger Meyer Burnett:

"This dude in this STAR TREK PHASE II footage is totally wearing a LOGAN'S RUN costume. #TNGS2"

So, we are getting some Phase II footage on the Season 2 bluray??

https://twitter.com/BurnettRM/status/250778609638322176

Last edited by asp7485; September 26 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: add link
asp7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 04:24 AM   #208
davejames
Vice Admiral

Agreed. It's not like there's anything terribly important we're missing around the edges, and the picture still looks as sharp as ever.

That's more than good enough for me.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 04:28 AM   #209
Dream
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Agreed. It's not like there's anything terribly important we're missing around the edges, and the picture still looks as sharp as ever.

Be glad they didn't screw up on the Best of Both Worlds episodes or something.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 05:30 AM   #210
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post

Be glad they didn't screw up on the Best of Both Worlds episodes or something.
The nerdrage around the world on that one would be hideous.