IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 25 2012, 10:08 PM   #46
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

How is it subjective? Non-sanctioned/unlicensed = non-canon/unofficial.

I don't mean that disrespectfully. Quality is not determined by canonicity.

Last edited by F. King Daniel; September 26 2012 at 10:36 AM.
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 01:16 AM   #47
Dukhat
Commodore

Lighthammer wrote: View Post
They actually outright answered me on Facebook saying they have a big a announcement coming in regarding to the CBS thing.
No offense, but all that might mean is that CBS is making a statement that it's fine with them producing this as long as no money is made off of it, just like with Phase II.

I should also mention that, like so of the others in this thread, it really makes them sad that people are making such a big deal about this "Not being a Trek series without CBS".
Excuse me? You were the one who misrepresented what this project is (an officially licensed and approved Trek production, which it is not) with false information (that Rod Roddenberry owns the Trek movie rights, which he does not). All we did was inform you that CBS owns the rights to Trek in its entirely. You seem to be under the impression that we are bashing this project because it is a fan production and not an officially produced CBS production, when in fact no one is bashing it at all. All people have done is point out your misinformation. If the producers of this project are sad that people here think we're bashing them, it's because of your misrepresentation of it. So don't presume to act as if we're the bad guys here.

Last edited by Dukhat; September 26 2012 at 04:22 AM.
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 01:22 AM   #48
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
You seem to be under the impression that we are bashing this project because it is a fan production and not an officially produced CBS production, when in fact no one is bashing it at all. All people have done is point out your misinformation. If the producers of this project are sad that people here think we're bashing them, it's because of your misrepresentation of it.
Perfectly said. Thanks, and seconded. If there's any evidence of anyone in this thread bashing the project, I've missed it.
Old September 27 2012, 01:45 PM   #49
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Here's the big announcement (from their Facebook page):
Star Trek Renegades wrote:
ANNOUNCING OUR FUNDING DRIVE ON
KICKSTARTER.COM!
We are producing ST: Renegades as a pilot episode to present to CBS as a possible online series!
And the best part is – YOU can play an important role in making this happen! We’ve just launched a 60-day funding drive on kickstarter.com – the premiere funding platform on the web for creative projects.
At kickstarter, every project is all-or- nothing funding, supported by friends, fans, and the public in return for rewards. It’s a no-risk situation - if we don’t reach our funding goal within the 60-day time period, you don’t pay!
For as little as a $10 pledge, you can help us produce this new Star Trek project! And every single pledge receives a reward, from exclusive access to online content, to DVDs or Blu-Rays, to limited edition t- shirts, leather jackets, visits to the set – even walk-on roles in the film! You can just watch from a distance or even become involved in the production as an associate producer. The stars are the limit! Check out our kickstarter page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...trek-renegades
Some BIG NEW cast and crew news is on the site as well!
Help spread the word! Tell your friends!
Help us make this a reality!
If they get their money and make this, it'll be "presented to CBS as a possible online series"

The Kickstarter page has plot details and several cast announcements.
Old September 27 2012, 03:34 PM   #50
Dukhat
Commodore

^So in other words, they're not asking CBS to produce it for them or to back it, but rather they're just going to ask CBS's permission to put it on the Internet, just like Phase II. Unless I missed something, there's nothing there to suggest CBS has any interest in having this project be a pilot for a new Trek television or TV movie series.
Old September 27 2012, 03:58 PM   #51
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Few people know that Star Trek: Of Gods and Men was created on a budget of less than $150,000. Yes, a feature-length movie with less than 0.01% of the budget of the recent Star Trek film.
I was unaware that the new Star Trek film cost over $1.5 billion to make.

Also, this whole idea seems really weird of gathering money and then showing it to CBS. Shouldn't they be asking them permission before trying to gather funds from fans?

And why should money even be the difference? Didn't we learn from the Enterprise fundraisers that those with the rights cared more about keeping their brand as not being bottom of the barrel rather than continuing on for measly amounts of money?
Ryan8bit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 04:41 PM   #52
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Few people know that Star Trek: Of Gods and Men was created on a budget of less than $150,000. Yes, a feature-length movie with less than 0.01% of the budget of the recent Star Trek film.

Also, this whole idea seems really weird of gathering money and then showing it to CBS. Shouldn't they be asking them permission before trying to gather funds from fans?

And why should money even be the difference? Didn't we learn from the Enterprise fundraisers that those with the rights cared more about keeping their brand as not being bottom of the barrel rather than continuing on for measly amounts of money?
A reminder: $150,000 is 0.1% of $150 million, not of $1.5 billion. (It looks like you are thinking of 1% instead of one one-hundredth of one percent.)
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/

Last edited by GSchnitzer; September 27 2012 at 08:31 PM.
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 04:45 PM   #53
Tom
Rear Admiral

Phase II asks for paypal donations on there site. CBS knows about that but does not seem to mind. Renegades is trying to do the same thing, the only difference is they want to also present it to CBS that may or may not work.

Kickstarter has recently worked great for Marc Zicree's Space Command project, of course that is an original work but still it shows that fans want more scifi.
Old September 27 2012, 04:56 PM   #54
Tom
Rear Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post

A reminder: $150,000 is 0.01% of $150 million, not of $1.5 billion. (It looks like you are thinking of 1% instead of one one-hundredth of one percent.)
Actually Greg, 150,000,000 x 0.001% is 150k so the 0.01% is a typo on the kickstarter page that will be fixed.
Old September 27 2012, 07:44 PM   #55
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Tom wrote: View Post

A reminder: $150,000 is 0.01% of $150 million, not of $1.5 billion. (It looks like you are thinking of 1% instead of one one-hundredth of one percent.)
Actually Greg, 150,000,000 x 0.001% is 150k so the 0.01% is a typo on the kickstarter page that will be fixed.
You do know that 0.001% is 0.00001, right?
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 08:36 PM   #56
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

You do know that 0.001% is 0.00001, right?
Yea, wouldn't 150,000 be .1% or .001, rather than .001%

150,000,000 * .001 (or .1%) = 150,000

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 08:58 PM   #57
Ryan8bit
Commodore

A reminder: $150,000 is 0.1% of $150 million, not of $1.5 billion. (It looks like you are thinking of 1% instead of one one-hundredth of one percent.)
I think you're confused.

Phase II asks for paypal donations on there site. CBS knows about that but does not seem to mind. Renegades is trying to do the same thing, the only difference is they want to also present it to CBS that may or may not work.
I think the thing about a paypal button is that it is a lot more transparent. It could have generated no money or lots of money, but they don't really know (or probably care). But Kickstarter has definitely had some pretty big influence and the numbers are right there. People doing works based on copyright properties that raise any significant amount of money, the specific amount which is available for all to see, would bring a lot more attention to such a thing. I've already seen it happen to some other Kickstarter projects.
Ryan8bit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 09:40 PM   #58
Tom
Rear Admiral

Good points, at least with Kickstarter they not actually taking money that we could potentially have to return. Pledgers have 60 days and by that time if CBS were to shut it down they would of already.
Old September 27 2012, 10:05 PM   #59
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
AviTrek wrote: View Post

If you think CBS is going to respond to these guys with anything besides a Cease and Desist, then you don't understand how business works.
If I had a dime for everytime somebody on this board thought CBS would give STOGAM and the producers a C&D during the past 5 years, I would be a pretty rich guy. lol
As long as you're not trying to generate a profit off of it, CBS is content to leave you alone. But it also isn't them encouraging you to make a pilot they didn't commission.
Yeah, let's get clear on this:

There is zero chance that this film leads to a Paramount-backed television, theatrical, or even web production. None.

The "never got a C&D" is a red herring and has nothing to do with the actual issues here, some of which have already been addressed succinctly by others in this topic.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 06:05 PM   #60
Savious
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
I'm more excited for this than STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS.

There. I said it.
Ditto; I'm so freaking tired of the time travel, alternate universe, differnt time stream stuff, I'm almost sick of Star Trek.

I hated the REBOOT

If I want time travel, I watch Dr. Who, Star Trek was supposed to be about exploration, interactions, complex cultures, etc etc....

I was .. ok, still am, a die hard trek fan; but voyager got caught up with way to much technobabble, and enterprise was a really good idea, with some very very bad execution; and that REBOOT... I walked out of the theater, so still don't know how it ended, nor do I want to.
Savious is offline   Reply With Quote