Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 25 2012, 11:53 PM   #16
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Paddling a 16-year-old giirl at school: is everyone stupid here?

There's no excuse for a teacher to lay hands on a student. It doesn't matter if someone agrees to it; it simply shouldn't happen.
Old September 26 2012, 12:28 AM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

So why is it legal?

Why isn't it being investigated by child services like it would be if a 16 year old girl was hit by any other person with authority over her, like a manager at work, coach of a sports team, pastor.. etc..?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 12:50 AM   #18
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

BDJ wrote: View Post
(after watching video)

What a nice acting young lady. Her mother seemed rather rational as well. Even going on to say that she didn't think the person administering the punishment meant to hurt her daughter, just that he was "too big and strong" to be paddling "98 pound girls".

The school followed policy and got mom's permission. The school didn't follow policy on the gender appropriate school official to administer punishment. That's the problem here.

What I like about this story is that there was a dispute and both sides seem to be handling it rationally. There was discussion, there was problem solving and there was a resolution.

Isn't that what we, as humans, should be doing?

It seems like everyone here so far has gotten their panties all bunched up over the corporal punishment. Yet you didn't see the young lady freaking out, screaming, yelling, cursing, calling lawyers and such.

She took the punishment like a man! She "cowgirled" up!

For a teeanger today to be that responsible, well...it's refreshing. To see a mother willing that her child be punished and not becoming a screaming, cussing, spitting, freak...that's a miracle all in itself.

(I'm not attempting to ascertain the correctness of the punishment or the reasons for it's being doled out - only that it was refreshing to see a story featuring mothers, teenage girls and a school told without lawyers, guns and money being involved!)
Yes, and the first reaction from the school on this problem?

Change the rule so that there could be cross-gender spankings.

Wonderful school.

Also, is it really logic to spank someone two years away from legally being an adult? I mean isn't a teenager well beyond the age where spankings should be administered?
Old September 26 2012, 01:04 AM   #19
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

What a nice acting young lady. Her mother seemed rather rational as well. Even going on to say that she didn't think the person administering the punishment meant to hurt her daughter, just that he was "too big and strong" to be paddling "98 pound girls".
Actually, he has too much of a penis to be paddling/spanking a curvaceous 16 year old girl whether she weighs 98 pounds or 198 pounds. Yes, the fact that he's a man administering this is a serious problem before the issue of her getting welts from the paddling should ever come up.

Men....are allowed.....to spank teenage girls in Texas as long as it's at school and he's "punishing" her? I don't care if it's a paddle. The dude's giving the teenage cutie a spanking. Once I passed puberty, spanking was only administered in a sexual context with a partner.

In what world are grown men allowed to spank teenage girls? That's completely bizarre and unacceptable.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 01:05 AM   #20
gturner
Admiral

It's not like they flogged her, and it's still a better alternative to detention, where students risk their very lives either trying to dig escape tunnels or going over the wire and through the minefields to get to the woods.

She'll probably suffer much worse when she joins a sorority.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 01:35 AM   #21
T'Preea
Commander

View T'Preea's Twitter Profile

I just think it's plain ridiculous that it's even allowed anymore no matter what state it is. It doesn't solve anything, it just makes the kids immune to the affects and they still do the things that landed them in that situation in the first place. The school boards won't get far as long as it's being headed by Holier-than-thou men that think only they know what's best.
Old September 26 2012, 01:40 AM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Actually, he has too much of a penis to be paddling/spanking a curvaceous 16 year old girl whether she weighs 98 pounds or 198 pounds. Yes, the fact that he's a man administering this is a serious problem before the issue of her getting welts from the paddling should ever come up.

Men....are allowed.....to spank teenage girls in Texas as long as it's at school and he's "punishing" her? I don't care if it's a paddle. The dude's giving the teenage cutie a spanking. Once I passed puberty, spanking was only administered in a sexual context with a partner.

In what world are grown men allowed to spank teenage girls? That's completely bizarre and unacceptable.
So.... Spanking her would've been "more okay" if she wasn't cute?
Old September 26 2012, 03:14 AM   #23
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

No, of course it wouldn't have been "more okay" if she weren't as cute. That wasn't my point. My point was that no grown man has any business spanking a teenage girl. The girl in the video is very, very cute so I included the cute in my phrasing.

If my high school principal had paddled my behind he'd have ended up flat on his back unconscious courtesy of my father. I can't fathom that any teenager is paddled, much less a teenage girl by a grown man.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old September 26 2012, 03:24 AM   #24
kythe
Commander

BDJ wrote: View Post
(after watching video)

The school followed policy and got mom's permission. The school didn't follow policy on the gender appropriate school official to administer punishment. That's the problem here.

What I like about this story is that there was a dispute and both sides seem to be handling it rationally. There was discussion, there was problem solving and there was a resolution.

Isn't that what we, as humans, should be doing?

It seems like everyone here so far has gotten their panties all bunched up over the corporal punishment. Yet you didn't see the young lady freaking out, screaming, yelling, cursing, calling lawyers and such.

She took the punishment like a man! She "cowgirled" up!

For a teeanger today to be that responsible, well...it's refreshing. To see a mother willing that her child be punished and not becoming a screaming, cussing, spitting, freak...that's a miracle all in itself.

(I'm not attempting to ascertain the correctness of the punishment or the reasons for it's being doled out - only that it was refreshing to see a story featuring mothers, teenage girls and a school told without lawyers, guns and money being involved!)
I don't see this as "rational" at all. A 16 year old teenager was beaten hard enough to leave welts, and the mother seems to be in pretty extreme denial to claim the principal just "didn't mean" to hurt her daughter. It sounds like the kind of rationalization victims of domestic violence use.

If these people are honestly able to just talk through this with "discussion, problem solving, and resolution", what was the purpose of the spanking in the first place? Clearly this girl is capable of learning in a way that doesn't involve physical punishment.

You also praise her for "taking it like a man". Spankings are intended to be demeaning, humiliating, and painful. What real man is going to let someone treat him like that? In the workplace? When he's out with his buddies? At home with his family? They don't even do this in the military... There is no time in life where it is necessary to endure this kind of punishment. Teaching kids to just "accept" this doesn't prepare them for real life.
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 03:35 AM   #25
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Not generally a big fan of actions that are either crimes or not crimes depending only on the victims age and relationship to the perpetrator.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 03:37 AM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

^^^

Word. Taking a "beating like a man" is turning around and defending yourself. Interesting to note that the girl and mother seeming "okay" with the spanking itself seems to be a variation on "battered-wife syndrome."

Now I could reasonable see "a" need to maybe spank a grade-school aged kid. I'm not sure on where the line is drawn on disciplining a child but I'm pretty sure it'd be before middle-school and certainly before freaking-HIGH SCHOOL.

This girl is 16 years old. Legally an adult for many purposes in areas of the country. From my understanding she was given a single swat with a paddle that left her with welts and bruises and the inability to sleep on or otherwise use her behind for more than a day. She was given this swat by an adult man.

In what universe is this even slightly okay?

Again, sure, I could see smacking a grade-school child as for young enough kids with little grasp of discipline that can be the only way to get a message across. For a more mature person and they have to choose between the loss of free-time (something that means something to them) with detention or a swat on the ass, sure'll they'll take the latter as it means nothing.

My parents stopped spanking me when I found the concept and experience more funny than meaningful to change my behavior. That was probably in 4th grade at the latest.

This whole thing is messed up and the more messed up part in the initial aftermath of it the school's reaction was simply to alter the "no cross-gender spankings" thing which seemed to be the only real problem the mother had with it.

And she didn't even have a problem with it because her teenage daughter was spanked by a man because it could have sexual implications for either (or both) party/parties (because, yes, the girl is conventionally cute) but simply because a man is stronger and could do more damage with a single hit than a woman potentially could.

Again, WTF Texas?!
Old September 26 2012, 03:43 AM   #27
gturner
Admiral

I think Florida is considering re-introducing corporal punishment.

A lot of older teachers say paddling works, and the few long-term studies on spanking (which are difficult to do because not very many people weren't spanked) show long-term benefits. Those were spanked occassionally for misbehavior (at least up to age 6) outperform those who weren't, and are happier and more succesful.

16 is pushing it though. By that age, teachers should be using more devious or drastic punishments to show the students that as they get older, adults are going to quit holding back. Down South the sweat box would be a good one, but pretty much anything used by the Spanish inquisition should work: flogging, thumb-screws, branding.

The latest trend sweeping the school systems is the use of mass starvation for behavior control. The new high-school food guidelines limit lunch to 850 kcalories a day, whereas active teens need 3,000 to 5,000 kcalories per day. Teachers are telling the students to bring more food from home to avoid weakness, lightheadedness, and other effects of starvation.
Old September 26 2012, 03:50 AM   #28
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The school lunch argument is neither here nor there, but needing a 3,000 calorie per day diet doesn't mean to get most of those calories at lunch. Lunch, in fact, is supposed to be the lightest meal of the day. Properly raised kids will get the rest of the calories they need for breakfast or lunch.

Anyway, I've got no disagreement with using "corporal punishment" on grade-school aged kids up to maybe 4th grade. But such punishment on a teenager is meaningless and stupid.
Old September 26 2012, 03:50 AM   #29
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

The whole thing is extremely bizarre. I agree.

Word. Taking a "beating like a man" is turning around and defending yourself. Interesting to note that the girl and mother seeming "okay" with the spanking itself seems to be a variation on "battered-wife syndrome."
Again, I agree. The mother's reaction is strangely muted and devoid of the "ewwww" reaction one might expect. My own parents believed in limited spankings of their kids if our behavior was particularly egregious (letting someone copy off us at school wouldn't have qualified) but they'd have never allowed school personnel to strike their children. They'd have administered it themselves--when we were in grade school. Once a kid is past puberty spankings never would have been in the thought process.

Old September 26 2012, 04:38 AM   #30
gturner
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The school lunch argument is neither here nor there, but needing a 3,000 calorie per day diet doesn't mean to get most of those calories at lunch. Lunch, in fact, is supposed to be the lightest meal of the day. Properly raised kids will get the rest of the calories they need for breakfast or lunch.
That would be nice, but breakfast is limited to 600 calories and a lot of kids don't get dinner till late. Many poor kids, for whom the program was set up, rely on school lunches for most of the caloric intake. Schools used to make sure they had more than enough to eat, but not any more, so we'll have growing teens on a 1450 calorie a day diet instead of a 3,000 calorie a day diet. Thus the mass protests (some schools have seen 70% of their school-lunch kids boycott the program).

On the bright side, forced starvation is very effective at switching a person's political affiliation, so I'm glad Reagan or the Bush's didn't pull this one.