Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 21 2012, 04:54 PM   #31
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Re: Last Resort was Awesome.

As awesome as people think Last Resort is, it pales in comparison in every measurable way to the real Last Resort.
Old September 21 2012, 05:38 PM   #32
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Which part of the plot is so ridiculous?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 08:57 PM   #33
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Loved it.
Agreed. The Coreys at their finest!

Umm, what? Oh... uuh... nevermind.
Old September 21 2012, 11:01 PM   #34
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The pilot was cool but I don't see how this is a sustainable premise for an entire series. Do the characters sit on the island every episode? Do they infiltrate the mainland? Is each episode about a US spy sneaking onto the island?
Co-Creator Shawn Ryan has acknowledged that this is an important concern:
It's a little bit scary, which I like. I never do things the easy way for whatever reason. We had thought a lot about what season one would be before we ever pitched it to the networks. We thought a lot about what the final episode might be, whether it's in season five, season seven, season nine, whatever. So there was enough there just between the two of us having spent a month half talking about it that I felt that we had a show. You never know for sure until you get into a writer's room and you're trying to break episode 32 whether there is in fact a show, so I can't sit here today and say definitively that I know for sure. I know that we've broken the first six episodes after the pilot and they're all different and I really like them and we haven't lacked for stories there. We know places we're going to go in the final 6 of our 13 episode order, but we'll see.
The entire interview is well worth reading. He drops some small information about a few future episodes too.

Edited to add: CBR has another interview where the breakdown between story locations is addressed.
The show is shot in Los Angeles and Hawaii, so be prepared to see plenty of island scenes. After the pilot sets up Last Resort‘s initial premise, Ryan said the series will spend 60 percent of its time on the island, 20 percent on the sub and 20 percent in Washington. The characters in those locations will interact with each other, even if they’re on the other side of the globe.

[...]

Gajdusek and Ryan said during the chat that they feel one of the big things that sets Last Resort apart from Lost is that it’s not dependent on its mystery. Even if they resolved the conflict of who ordered the nukes fired in the pilot, there would still be plenty more to uncover about these characters and their motivations as time went on.

Last edited by PsychoPere; September 22 2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Added information from second interview.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 01:16 PM   #35
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Even if they stay on the island there are lots of ways it could interesting. It would not suprise me that some other parts of the army/navy would join them or help the covertly.
Old September 25 2012, 01:58 PM   #36
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I love how people here keep sugar-coating the utter BS permeating this episode with the word "implausible..."
Oh, my God, people are using proper words! This is an outrage!
Not outrageous, just tiresome, since a "proper" description is not the same as an "accurate" one, and an accurate description of a show that spends an hour using real life weapons in ways they weren't designed to be used and supposedly realistic line officers acting in ways they simply wouldn't act qualifies as utter BS, not "implausible."
If i can enjoy a Michael Bay movie (and Armageddon is one of my favorite movies of all time because it's so dumb and inaccurate) then i can surely get over the implausabilities in this one.

Edit:
Ok.. i've seen it and it's not worth it. Wooden actors, cliche characters and a really stupid plot. With Bay you have humor and insance action to gloss over the otherwise empty movie.

Last edited by FPAlpha; September 25 2012 at 04:19 PM.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 06:23 PM   #37
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

It was really good, but it has "HBO" written all over it.

The show I can see being amazing for 2-3 thirteen episode seasons, but that is it. A season on the island, a season planning on sneaking into the USA, a season clearing their names. That format doesn't work on Network TV. Actually this show would have been fun following Homeland on Showtime.

On ABC it should have been a miniseries, and it would have been a damn good one. The little plots of the impeachment, the secretive soldiers, the goodie soldiers always for the USA, the island drug lord. There is a lot going on, and I like it, I just don't see it lasting.
Old September 25 2012, 09:53 PM   #38
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They nuked America.

There's no going back unless they trigger a global black out.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 10:09 PM   #39
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

Oh, my God, people are using proper words! This is an outrage!
Not outrageous, just tiresome, since a "proper" description is not the same as an "accurate" one, and an accurate description of a show that spends an hour using real life weapons in ways they weren't designed to be used and supposedly realistic line officers acting in ways they simply wouldn't act qualifies as utter BS, not "implausible."
If i can enjoy a Michael Bay movie (and Armageddon is one of my favorite movies of all time because it's so dumb and inaccurate) then i can surely get over the implausabilities in this one.

Edit:
Ok.. i've seen it and it's not worth it. Wooden actors, cliche characters and a really stupid plot. With Bay you have humor and insance action to gloss over the otherwise empty movie.
Do noncliche characters exist anymore?
Old September 25 2012, 10:16 PM   #40
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

At the end of the eighties they all hid in Tom Selleck's Moustache and claimed that they weren't coming out till all the assholes had left the party.

Old September 26 2012, 12:34 AM   #41
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I saw the pilot the other day...not all that impressed. Not the worst new show I've seen, but not the best either. I think it's strange that there are comparisons to Lost, because it doesn't feel at ALL like that show. There is no central mystery. There is no hint of a possibly supernatural explanation. The only thing they have in common is islands.

I'd say the show is much more like 24, except with more of a focus on war and big weapons. I generally dislike war movies/TV shows, so even though I love 24-like shows, I don't think I can get on board with this one. It's almost good, but not quite. I'll watch one more episode but I doubt I'll stick around any longer. If I do, it's because of a deeper connection to the characters, which hasn't shown hints of emerging yet.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 04:08 AM   #42
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

They nuked America.

There's no going back unless they trigger a global black out.
They nuked the water, they are fine.
Old September 26 2012, 08:14 AM   #43
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

PETA is going to hunt them down.
Old September 26 2012, 08:49 AM   #44
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Aquaman is going to go postal.

Old September 26 2012, 11:10 AM   #45
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Aquaman is going to go postal.
The first time Aquaman came flying toward the sub, they didn't take him very seriously; and who can blame them, really?

So they lobbed a nuke close to Atlantis and told him to back off, or else.

Then, Aquaman brought da ruckus.

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote