New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old September 25 2012, 05:03 AM   #211
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

No way the replacement refs are working Sunday after this debacle.
Old September 25 2012, 05:12 AM   #212
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

What a game, what an ending. Both the Packers and the Seahawks were on the receiving end of some lousy calls. Golden Tate's catch in the endzone was legit, since the tie goes to the receiver. He did get away with a pushoff beforehand though. I'll take it.
Old September 25 2012, 05:24 AM   #213
Yoda
Rear Admiral

^Look I'm sure you're glad the Seahawks won and all. But either learn the rules or don't tell outright ridiculous lies. That was not simultaneous possession, if there was 'dual possession' it was after the fact and thus defense ball.
Old September 25 2012, 05:29 AM   #214
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

Yoda wrote: View Post
^Look I'm sure you're glad the Seahawks won and all. But either learn the rules or don't tell outright ridiculous lies. That was not simultaneous possession, if there was 'dual possession' it was after the fact and thus defense ball.
Chill, man.

When they hit the ground, both players had possession of the ball. The call was made on the field, and it was reviewed a second time. The Packers' defense failed spectacularly on the play. They should have batted the ball away instead of going for a meaningless interception that was vulnerable to an ambiguous call.
Old September 25 2012, 05:29 AM   #215
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

InklingStar wrote: View Post
What a game, what an ending. Both the Packers and the Seahawks were on the receiving end of some lousy calls. Golden Tate's catch in the endzone was legit, since the tie goes to the receiver. He did get away with a pushoff beforehand though. I'll take it.

What???

That was an abomination.

That was an interception, plain as day.

And yeah, even it was by some miracle "simultanous", Tate shoved that Seahawk defender to the ground! How is that not offensive pass interference?

And even if you don't buy either of those arguments, what about that crappy PI call against Green Bay? The Seahawk had both hands wrapped around the guy (clearly shown on replay), and Green Bay gets flagged? And what was it, 1st and 30 or something crazy like that?

They have to do something about this officials situation. Seriously.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old September 25 2012, 05:30 AM   #216
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

Yeah, Tate got away with a pushoff. I'm not concerned with the pass interference call though, even though it was pretty bogus. The Packers benefited from a bogus PI call on their touchdown drive too, so I figure they balanced out.
Old September 25 2012, 05:33 AM   #217
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Yeah, Tate got away with a pushoff. I'm not concerned with the pass interference call though, even though it was pretty bogus. The Packers benefited from a bogus PI call on their touchdown drive too, so I figure they balanced out.
The whole game was, as my daughter would say, ridonkulous.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old September 25 2012, 05:34 AM   #218
Skywalker
Admiral

That was an absolutely atrocious ending to an absolutely atrocious weekend of football. The NFL needs to bring back the regular officials immediately. All they're doing now is damaging their own brand.
Old September 25 2012, 05:35 AM   #219
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

What a game, what an ending. Both the Packers and the Seahawks were on the receiving end of some lousy calls. Golden Tate's catch in the endzone was legit, since the tie goes to the receiver.
Um, no.

Here's the rule:

NFL Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an
opponent subsequently gains joint control.
Jennings caught the ball two handed and pulled it to his chest. Tate had one arm in there initially, and a second after they fell to the ground. The only person I've seen call that a simultaneous catch tonight is the replacement ref. Now, obviously his was the only vote that mattered...but it *was* wrong.

You'll notice in the second photo that Tate's basically just hugging Jennings. It's very sweet, but it's not like any touchdown I've seen.

Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.

Last edited by IndyJones; September 25 2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old September 25 2012, 05:36 AM   #220
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Unlike last night, I got no dog in this fight, other than the fact that I love the Seahawks' lime green shoes.

I thought it was a pick, but there was no way to reasonably overturn it.
Old September 25 2012, 05:39 AM   #221
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Jennings caught the ball two handed and pulled it to his chest. Tate had one arm in there initially, and a second after they fell to the ground. The only person I've seen call that a simultaneous catch tonight is the replacement ref. Now, obviously his was the only vote that mattered...but it *was* wrong.
Tate had both hands on the ball initially. He let go briefly while they were both in the air and then had his hand on the ball again when they fell to the ground. I can see the call being open to interpretation in this case.

If the losers tonight were someone besides the well-loved Packers, I think there would be a lot less butthurt on the internet tonight.
Old September 25 2012, 05:48 AM   #222
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Oh cool I didn't realize Roger Goodell was a member here.
Old September 25 2012, 05:52 AM   #223
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

Whether the call was right or not, two things are true:

The replacement refs have got to go.

An intense gritty game by both teams is overshadowed by a questionable call.
Old September 25 2012, 05:53 AM   #224
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Tate had both hands on the ball initially. He let go briefly while they were both in the air and then had his hand on the ball again when they fell to the ground. I can see the call being open to interpretation in this case.
I don't mean to fight with you, but can you show me a picture or video where Tate gets two hand on the ball at the same time as Jennings, because the the first photo I put in my last post looks to be pretty early in the sequence (what with they're being pretty high off the ground, and all) and it's clear that Jennings has a better handle on it. The second picture shows Jennings has two hands on it, and it's pressed to his chest, where is Tate's control that you're talking about?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old September 25 2012, 05:56 AM   #225
Caligula
Vice Admiral

I was rooting for the Seahawks to pull the upset, but that was an awesomely bad call. I feel bad for Green Bay. Even if it had been New England, Pittsburgh or Dallas (the three teams I always root against) on the losing end, I STILL would have felt bad.
Closed Thread