Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you rate Dredd?
Excellent 40 50.00%
Good 31 38.75%
Average 4 5.00%
A bit poor 3 3.75%
Awful 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24 2012, 10:21 AM   #76
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

^I saw it in 2D for the simple reason that the cinema we opted for only had that version on. I can imagine that its visuals would be even better in 3D and when I go again, I'll try to find a 3D screening.
Old September 24 2012, 02:06 PM   #77
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Are the 3D screenings being pushed as hard at the expense of the 2D ones in the States as they are in the UK?
Well, considering the film was retitled to be Dredd 3D, I'd say yes.

The Agony Booth did a good synopsis and review of the Stallone version of Judge Dredd, and a retrospective of the comic book, which I heard a lot about as a kid (I was a huge Anthrax fan), but had never read. He pointed out that America already had their own version of Judge Dredd by 1995 - it was called Robocop! Which makes sense. After walking out of Dredd, I told my girlfriend it reminded me of Robocop.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 02:50 PM   #78
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The only flaw of Stallone's Dredd is Roy Scheider, err, Rob Schneider.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 03:12 PM   #79
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I found this to be pretty average viewing, so I was surprised when I saw all the high scores and praise. Maybe it's because I'm not into the comics, I don't know. I have to admit though that I'm waming up to this movie a little as it settles in. It felt a lot like Die Hard. I saw a Saturday matinée in 2D and there were about a dozen people in the theatre. I figured it might not do well, but 6.3 million and being beaten out by Resident Evil in its second week is worse than I expected.

Here are some positives...

- Karl Urban is definately not who I would have expected as the rough and tough Judge Dredd, but I found myself buying into his portrayal as the movie progressed. The voice and stiff frown seemed a little forced, but his whole badass cop rountine was pretty well done.

- I like that Dredd had his helmet on the whole time. I read that the character does this and that we rarely see him with his helmet off and even then, don't get a good look at his face. A big name would have wanted face time, so kudos to Urban for being willing and able to immerse himself into the character. I heard that Schwarzenegger dropped out of the 1995 movie because of the helmet issue.

- I don't know anything about Judge Anderson's comic book counterpart, but based on what little I've seen in a Google search, it looks like we've got another "Jessica Alba as Sue Storm" scenario with Olivia Thirlby. I'm a fan of hers though and I liked her in the part. It was great seeing her in a big budget scifi movie. It also looks like her comic book character is quite sexualized with revealing uniforms and titilating poses & still shots. I guess they found a way to work some of that that into the movie with the psychic visions. Unfortunately, I didn't know it was her during the first nude shot.

- Lena Heady was great and appropriately grungy and offputting.

- The city looked great with its mix of FX and real environments. I wish I could compare this to the 1995 movie, but I don't remember enough about it to do so.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 03:16 PM   #80
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I heard that Schwarzenegger dropped out of the 1995 movie because of the helmet issue.
Don't think that's true, because the story of the 1995 film was that he gets imprisoned. Unless the helmet is glued to his head, he would have taken it off no matter what actor played him.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 03:20 PM   #81
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
Oh, the big nitpick I had with it was the whole idea of Slo-mo making time pass at 1% normal speed. They seriously underestimated how slow that is, if 1% was corrected then 6 seconds would be 10 minutes
I heard them say 4%.
Old September 24 2012, 03:21 PM   #82
Starkers
Admiral

Dredd is the only Judge who even keeps his helmet on in the sleep machine (and, in fact, when he's in the bath)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 03:27 PM   #83
Agent Richard07
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I heard that Schwarzenegger dropped out of the 1995 movie because of the helmet issue.
Don't think that's true, because the story of the 1995 film was that he gets imprisoned. Unless the helmet is glued to his head, he would have taken it off no matter what actor played him.
Supposedly it wad during the early stages when Dredd would have had the helmet on for much of the movie. I don't remember much about the 1995 movie, but maybe the resulting story you're describing was intended to give the star enough face time.
Old September 24 2012, 03:41 PM   #84
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
Oh, the big nitpick I had with it was the whole idea of Slo-mo making time pass at 1% normal speed. They seriously underestimated how slow that is, if 1% was corrected then 6 seconds would be 10 minutes
I heard them say 4%.
I'm fairly certain that it was 1% but even if it was 4% it would still take 25 seconds for every 1 second.
Old September 24 2012, 06:01 PM   #85
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I always thought it'd be box-office poison to keep your lead actor under a helmet at all times. Positive reviews aside, this morning's news hardly convinces me otherwise.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 08:46 PM   #86
inflatabledalek
Captain

- I don't know anything about Judge Anderson's comic book counterpart, but based on what little I've seen in a Google search, it looks like we've got another "Jessica Alba as Sue Storm" scenario with Olivia Thirlby.
It's worth remembering that everyone in Dredd ages in "real time", so whilst Anderson is now in her 50's in the comic when she was introduced 30 years ago she'd have been about the same age as Thirlby.
Old September 25 2012, 12:20 AM   #87
DarKush
Rear Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Are the 3D screenings being pushed as hard at the expense of the 2D ones in the States as they are in the UK?
Well, considering the film was retitled to be Dredd 3D, I'd say yes.

The Agony Booth did a good synopsis and review of the Stallone version of Judge Dredd, and a retrospective of the comic book, which I heard a lot about as a kid (I was a huge Anthrax fan), but had never read. He pointed out that America already had their own version of Judge Dredd by 1995 - it was called Robocop! Which makes sense. After walking out of Dredd, I told my girlfriend it reminded me of Robocop.
Funny but I got a Robocop vibe too as I was watching Dredd. I was hoping that the new Robocop has the look and feel of Dredd.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 01:22 AM   #88
The Wormhole
Admiral

This movie is excellent! I have no real prior knowldedge of Judge Dredd, I was aware of it, primarily because of the Stallone movie, but didn't know anything beyond it being set in a dystopian future where law enforcement is handled by cops who apprehend criminals and sentence them. I found myself compeltely immersed in this world and itrigued by it. The Judges basically being one man armies who have virtually free reign in solving crimes, and as we see power does corrupt a few.

Dredd himself is a really cool and interesting character. Basically the uber Judge, the guy is the best one around there. A tough hardened badass he stands up for what is right and tries to be just and fair, despite having free reign to even kill criminals in the right cicumstances and having corrupt comrades he never abuses his powers and always downplays his awesomeness with simple sentences to desribe his accomplishments like "there was a situation and I dealt with it." Karl Urban owns this role and is the perfect actor to cast. I really could not imagine anyone else in the role.

Though gory in the extremes, the gore serves a point of showing how vicious the movie's world is and isn't something thrown in because "it's cool."

I could have done without the slow-mo scenes from the perspectives of the druggies. This got really annoying really quickly. Thankfully, the movie used it sparingly, unfortunately there's something like three slow-mo sequences within the movie's first forty minutes and so it gets rather tiresome.

It's a shame the movie is doing rather poorly at the box office. I would have loved a sequel and possibly a Dredd movie series. Oh well, at least there's still this one excellent movie to enjoy.
Old September 25 2012, 02:15 AM   #89
Mr Light
Admiral

Out of curiosity I started reading the Dredd comic books, and the one I read was surprisingly silly. It was one of the first ones, though. He has a robot butler with a lisp

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 04:00 AM   #90
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Out of curiosity I started reading the Dredd comic books, and the one I read was surprisingly silly. It was one of the first ones, though. He has a robot butler with a lisp
Heh, after seeing the movie I was talking with my uncle and the first thing he asked was if that robot was in the movie.