RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 497
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 24 2012, 06:49 PM   #151
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Christopher wrote: View Post
Indysolo, how much diegetic music will be on the set? I think you did confirm earlier that the "Way to Eden" songs (mostly) would be included, but what about things like the lounge music from a couple of early episodes, Uhura's singing and Spock's lyre playing from "Charlie X," "Beyond Antares," the harpsichord music from "Squire of Gothos," and the Brahms paraphrase from "Requiem for Methuselah?"
Don't forget "Space Radio" from Mudd's Women and the two unused "Trouble With Tribbles" cues, though they were already released.

Neil
Old September 24 2012, 06:56 PM   #152
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

I'll take that as confirmation.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 07:46 PM   #153
Christopher
Writer

I think "Space Radio" is the "lounge music" I was talking about.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 08:38 PM   #154
Harvey
Admiral

The superlative book, "The Music of Star Trek," indicated that when music was tracked from previous seasons (i.e. when the funny music from "Shore Leave" was used any time during seasons two and three) it had to be re-recorded. Do any of these re-recorded cues differ significantly from the original, and, if so, will any of them be on the set?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 08:53 PM   #155
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

From my understanding (from the FSM boards, I think) they will be included.

Can't talk as to how they differ from the original recordings, of course.
Old September 24 2012, 09:00 PM   #156
Christopher
Writer

I have a Lost in Space CD that includes third-season re-recordings of first-season music which is available on other CDs. They're basically just different performances of the same pieces, with the only differences being slight variations in how they were conducted/performed/mixed, the sort of thing you have to be pretty familiar with the cues to pick up on. Things like slight differences in timing, or different relative loudness of two instruments playing at the same time, or the lack/addition of some slight imperfection or flourish in a musician's performance. I'd imagine the TOS re-recordings are much the same, since I know that show's music better than any other music I've ever heard, and I've never picked up on any blatant differences.

Old September 24 2012, 11:09 PM   #157
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Do any of these re-recorded cues differ significantly from the original, and, if so, will any of them be on the set?
The most significant change you'll hear are the re-recordings from The Man Trap for season 3. The electric violin was replaced with a vocalist. This can be heard in "That Which Survives". And yes, the library versions are on this set.

Neil
Old September 25 2012, 12:30 AM   #158
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

$ 225.00 are they nuts ! I`d love to have this CD but forget it !
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 12:56 AM   #159
Christopher
Writer

^It's not one CD, it's 15 CDs. That works out to $15 per CD, which is close to a typical price range for CDs, and quite a bargain for a collector's item like this, particularly given the work that must've gone into creating it.

Old September 25 2012, 01:09 AM   #160
Warped9
Admiral

What are the chances that recordings of the music from TAS or other Filmation shows will ever be recovered?
Great question! I'd love to have recordings of those as well.
Old September 25 2012, 01:43 AM   #161
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, and it's not just the TAS stuff I want, but the music from later Filmation shows like Space Academy/Jason of Star Command, and particularly the gorgeous music from Flash Gordon, Blackstar, The Lone Ranger, and Zorro, which was in a classic vintage-movie style. Although I realize that the market for that music must be very, very tiny, so I doubt there'd ever be a box set.

Old September 25 2012, 07:55 PM   #162
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

^Yeah, and it's not just the TAS stuff I want, but the music from later Filmation shows like Space Academy/Jason of Star Command, and particularly the gorgeous music from Flash Gordon, Blackstar, The Lone Ranger, and Zorro, which was in a classic vintage-movie style. Although I realize that the market for that music must be very, very tiny, so I doubt there'd ever be a box set.
Perhaps Filmation soundtracks would generate attention/interest if a company started off with the biggest, most visible brand Filmation ever used: DC Comics. The primary audience would be in North America, where DC--in comics, cartoons and films--is as recognized as Washington's face on the dollar.

Once DC scores broke ground, I think you would see a vocal demand for more filmation music--like TAS, or the live action shows (ex. Shazam, Isis, Ark II, etc.)
Old September 25 2012, 08:04 PM   #163
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Indysolo wrote: View Post

The most significant change you'll hear are the re-recordings from The Man Trap for season 3. The electric violin was replaced with a vocalist. This can be heard in "That Which Survives". And yes, the library versions are on this set.

Neil
Much information here. Thanks.

Wellll....just to be clear, would fight music from "The Omega Glory" (when Kirk unties himself in the room) which seems to be a rearranged version of the Kirk v. Mitchell track from "Where No Man Has Gone Before," find its way on the box set?

For that matter, i'm guessing the WNMHGB fight music is included?

I recall that was not a part of GNP's TOS pilot album...huge disappointment back in the day.

Last edited by TREK_GOD_1; September 25 2012 at 08:25 PM.
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 08:07 PM   #164
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

If they were created editorially, no.

If they were specifically created, then yes.
Old September 25 2012, 08:08 PM   #165
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

If not, then the pieces exist to recreate it if you wish.

I suspect it was tracked.