RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,183
Posts: 5,435,852
Members: 24,947
Currently online: 592
Newest member: CaptainJaymez

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 24 2012, 09:07 PM   #76
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Mage wrote: View Post
I doubt Data will be back. I mean, it's already been made quite clear that B-4 is technologically no way near as advanced as Data was. B-4's positronic network is just not capable of handing the sophisticated programs of Data. They'd need to build a better positronic brain, something that Federation technology is just not capable of yet.
Didn't they replace a portion of a humanoid brain with a positronic one on DS9? If so, I'd say the technology has grown quite a bit over the years.

And just because the hardware isn't as advanced doesn't necessarily mean its incapable of running the software. It may simply not be as efficient.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 09:12 PM   #77
Paris
Commodore
 
Paris's Avatar
 
Location: In the future's past
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Mage wrote: View Post
...They'd need to build a better positronic brain, something that Federation technology is just not capable of yet.
How do we know? Sure...they weren't capable in the 2360's & 2370's, but who's to say that advances haven't been made in the interim by people like Maddox. Quantum Slipstream was beyond their capabilities as well...but that's not the case any more.
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 10:18 PM   #78
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

^^ No one is contesting that the authors are unable to construct a narrative whereby Data is revived by new advances in Federation technology. But it would be an awful idea that undermines what little dramatic integrity Star Trek: Nemesis has and would continue the trend of bowlderizing mortality in the Star Trek Universe.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 11:10 PM   #79
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Sci wrote: View Post
^^ No one is contesting that the authors are unable to construct a narrative whereby Data is revived by new advances in Federation technology. But it would be an awful idea that undermines what little dramatic integrity Star Trek: Nemesis has and would continue the trend of bowlderizing mortality in the Star Trek Universe.
Dramatic integrity left the Trek universe long ago...
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 12:32 AM   #80
Ben
Lieutenant
 
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
^^ No one is contesting that the authors are unable to construct a narrative whereby Data is revived by new advances in Federation technology. But it would be an awful idea that undermines what little dramatic integrity Star Trek: Nemesis has and would continue the trend of bowlderizing mortality in the Star Trek Universe.
Dramatic integrity left the Trek universe long ago...
Heh.

And I think Data was too high a price to pay for some drama in a movie that I rarely ever want to watch. The same isn't true of, say, TWOK.
__________________
Ben
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 01:00 AM   #81
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
^^ No one is contesting that the authors are unable to construct a narrative whereby Data is revived by new advances in Federation technology. But it would be an awful idea that undermines what little dramatic integrity Star Trek: Nemesis has and would continue the trend of bowlderizing mortality in the Star Trek Universe.
Dramatic integrity left the Trek universe long ago...
Then it should be the role of Trek lit to bring it back, not contribute to its loss.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 02:03 AM   #82
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Sci wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
^^ No one is contesting that the authors are unable to construct a narrative whereby Data is revived by new advances in Federation technology. But it would be an awful idea that undermines what little dramatic integrity Star Trek: Nemesis has and would continue the trend of bowlderizing mortality in the Star Trek Universe.
Dramatic integrity left the Trek universe long ago...
Then it should be the role of Trek lit to bring it back, not contribute to its loss.
Agreed.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 07:35 PM   #83
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

BillJ wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
I doubt Data will be back. I mean, it's already been made quite clear that B-4 is technologically no way near as advanced as Data was. B-4's positronic network is just not capable of handing the sophisticated programs of Data. They'd need to build a better positronic brain, something that Federation technology is just not capable of yet.
Didn't they replace a portion of a humanoid brain with a positronic one on DS9? If so, I'd say the technology has grown quite a bit over the years.

And just because the hardware isn't as advanced doesn't necessarily mean its incapable of running the software. It may simply not be as efficient.
I think it was stated in Nemesis that B4 would never fully integrate Data's datatransfer, his technology simply was to...simple, compared to Data.

As for the half humanoid/half positronic brain, that was Vedek Bareil. He died a few days later....
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 08:25 PM   #84
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Mage wrote: View Post
I think it was stated in Nemesis that B4 would never fully integrate Data's datatransfer, his technology simply was to...simple, compared to Data.

As for the half humanoid/half positronic brain, that was Vedek Bareil. He died a few days later....
An obstacle VERY easy to overcome by two whole sentences of technobabble.
It happened at least twice in tie-in fiction; both times, it was underwhelming (despite the technobabble being convincing by trek standards).

If that's your argument for Data's resurrection not coming to pass...well, they say 'hope springs forever'. Of course, 'grasping at straws' is more appropriate as a saying.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 08:39 PM   #85
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
I think it was stated in Nemesis that B4 would never fully integrate Data's datatransfer, his technology simply was to...simple, compared to Data.

As for the half humanoid/half positronic brain, that was Vedek Bareil. He died a few days later....
An obstacle VERY easy to overcome by two whole sentences of technobabble.
It happened at least twice in tie-in fiction; both times, it was underwhelming (despite the technobabble being convincing by trek standards).

If that's your argument for Data's resurrection not coming to pass...well, they say 'hope springs forever'. Of course, 'grasping at straws' is more appropriate as a saying.
Well ofcourse they could change anything with a few lines of whatnot. I still feel that David Mack won't resurrect Data. Sure, it can still happen, and if it does, it does. Personally, I'm a bit 'meh' about the entire Data-subject by now. I prefer for him to stay dead, since death is death. But Trek has shown to overcome that little obstacle when it serves... well what really? Fan pressure? Plotlines? I don't know. All I know is, I used to be quite against bringing Data back. And I still doubt they will. But if they do, and write it well, I'm sort of ok with it.

David has never really disappointed me sofar (only ZSG was something I didn't really like by him), so if he does decide to bring Data back, I trust him to make it worthwhile.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 11:23 PM   #86
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Sci wrote: View Post

Then it should be the role of Trek lit to bring it back, not contribute to its loss.
And while they're at it, they should bring back Tasha Yar.

But with a lot of trilogies I read I find that many people will read books 1 and 3, but then skip book 2 altogether. I remember when I bought the 'Millennium' trilogy, the copies of books 1 and 3 I received (and this was about 3 years after the series was first released) were 2nd printings, but book 2 was a first printing. This wasn't he first trilogy that I bought like that.

Last edited by tomswift2002; September 25 2012 at 11:34 PM.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 08:10 PM   #87
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

You know I find it funny that people are expecting a resurrection in a Davis Mack trilogy of all places, I mean we are talking about the guy who has no problem what so ever killing one or more characters if it served the story.

If anything I'm wondering if someone is going to die in this trilogy.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 08:23 PM   #88
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
You know I find it funny that people are expecting a resurrection in a Davis Mack trilogy of all places, I mean we are talking about the guy who has no problem what so ever killing one or more characters if it served the story.

If anything I'm wondering if someone is going to die in this trilogy.


Ok, that made me chuckle.

Although, I have a sneaky suspision that by the end of this trilogy, the E-E may have a new captain. With some of the talk in other novels about Picard feeling he is in a different place in his life then he thought he would be (husband, father), I can't help but wonder if he'll stay on much longer.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 01:09 AM   #89
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Mage wrote: View Post
Although, I have a sneaky suspision that by the end of this trilogy, the E-E may have a new captain. With some of the talk in other novels about Picard feeling he is in a different place in his life then he thought he would be (husband, father), I can't help but wonder if he'll stay on much longer.
Dare I say it? Captain Data! (so far, TrekLit has not counteracted Countdown)
If Picard retires, he could still be part of the series without being captain. On the other hand, Vulcan isn't the most exciting place in the galaxy...
If Worf becomes captain, Geordi would finally make it back to command track. By the way, why is he a mere Lieutenant Commander on the cover?
If Data returns, he would probably become first officer and a full Commander, the next logical step on his way to E-E captaincy in 2387.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 02:07 AM   #90
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Markonian wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
Although, I have a sneaky suspision that by the end of this trilogy, the E-E may have a new captain. With some of the talk in other novels about Picard feeling he is in a different place in his life then he thought he would be (husband, father), I can't help but wonder if he'll stay on much longer.
Dare I say it? Captain Data! (so far, TrekLit has not counteracted Countdown)
If Picard retires, he could still be part of the series without being captain. On the other hand, Vulcan isn't the most exciting place in the galaxy...
If Worf becomes captain, Geordi would finally make it back to command track. By the way, why is he a mere Lieutenant Commander on the cover?
If Data returns, he would probably become first officer and a full Commander, the next logical step on his way to E-E captaincy in 2387.
Again this is made on the assumption that David Mack would resurrect a character when he is known to do just the opposite, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Data to come back at least in this trilogy.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.