Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 23 2012, 11:17 PM   #1036
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Well, we do, in fact, get to see an image of Smaug in the trailers: On the map.

But there's no real reason to show the fully-rendered version until the trailer to The Desolation of Smaug. An Unexpected Journey will be served by the pent-up demand for a Hobbit film and the trailers featuring Gollum. And IIRC, there weren't any trailers attached to the ends of FOTR or TTT. I'm guessing our first look at Smaug may be with the teaser to Desolation, and/or, perhaps, Comic Con 2013.
Old September 23 2012, 11:21 PM   #1037
Skywalker
Admiral

If we do see Smaug in An Unexpected Journey, I think it'd be during flashbacks to his conquest of Erebor.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 11:44 PM   #1038
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ That'd be the most logical place to reveal him in Film 1. And honestly, considering the lack of promotion for Smaug the Magnificent, it'd be one helluva surprise to see him on screen this December. But I still think a trailer for Film 2 is the most likely official reveal.
Old September 24 2012, 12:14 AM   #1039
mswood
Rear Admiral

I would actually be very surprised if we didn't get some history leading to the downfall of Erebor. But they could certainly tell the tale in a way to not really showcase much of Smaug. I mean look at the history of the ring, and how little the actually showed the audience of Gollom in that one scene and saved the big reveal for the Two Towers.
Old September 24 2012, 12:17 AM   #1040
mswood
Rear Admiral

But a ot of that depends on the take Jackson and fellow writers are taking with the material.

Based of the teaser, I was expected a fairly series telling of the story in the exact same style as the previous LOTR films.

Now after the first trailer, I expect a much more humorous take of the tory, possible aimed at the full family. And if that really represents the films, I could see them not focusing on the history of said events.

I want some of the humor as the Hobbit is a lighter tale, but I really want the majority to be told in a manner very similar to LOTR.
Old September 24 2012, 05:20 AM   #1041
mythme
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Surprised to find out that Arwen/Liv Tyler isn't in it. When they are in Rivendell, wouldn't have been a problem to have a small scene with her and Agent Smith.
Arwen was living in Lothlorien with her grandmother Galadriel at the time of The Hobbit.
Old September 24 2012, 05:52 AM   #1042
Skywalker
Admiral

mythme wrote: View Post
Surprised to find out that Arwen/Liv Tyler isn't in it. When they are in Rivendell, wouldn't have been a problem to have a small scene with her and Agent Smith.
Arwen was living in Lothlorien with her grandmother Galadriel at the time of The Hobbit.
But we see Galadriel in Rivendell in the trailers. Granted, that doesn't mean Arwen had to travel with her. She could have stayed in Lothlorien.
Old September 24 2012, 06:23 AM   #1043
mythme
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
But we see Galadriel in Rivendell in the trailers. Granted, that doesn't mean Arwen had to travel with her. She could have stayed in Lothlorien.
Yes but Arwen met Aragorn during his Ranger days in Lothlorien. If she was present in Rivendell at the time of the Hobbit she would have met him then as he was already under Elrond's protection - however Aragorn would have been seven years old! Arwen was over 2000 by this time.
Old September 24 2012, 09:15 AM   #1044
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I would be very surprised if we get a glimpse of Smaug in An Unexpected Journey even in a flashback history tale on Erebor. We might, might a smidgen of him in such a scenario but only enough to tantalize us a la Gollum in Moria in The Fellowship of the Ring.

And I'm very, very, very glad Arwen isn't in this in any shape or form!

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 01:00 PM   #1045
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Yes but Arwen met Aragorn during his Ranger days in Lothlorien. If she was present in Rivendell at the time of the Hobbit she would have met him then as he was already under Elrond's protection - however Aragorn would have been seven years old! Arwen was over 2000 by this time.
There was an army of Elves in Helm's Deep, so any book continuity argument is invalid.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 01:07 PM   #1046
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Emh wrote: View Post
I would be very surprised if we get a glimpse of Smaug in An Unexpected Journey even in a flashback history tale on Erebor. We might, might a smidgen of him in such a scenario but only enough to tantalize us a la Gollum in Moria in The Fellowship of the Ring.
I think it makes more sense dramatically to wait on showing Smaug. I know the rule is normally to show not tell, but it's not a complicated backstory "there's a dragon who stole our mountain." If I'm not mistaken, it's even in song form.
Old September 24 2012, 05:47 PM   #1047
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Not related to the movie itself, but worth posting here:

Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 10:27 PM   #1048
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

mythme wrote:
Robbing the cradle, BIG TIME.
Old September 25 2012, 12:30 AM   #1049
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post
mythme wrote:
And somewhat incestuous too.
Old September 25 2012, 12:46 AM   #1050
Skywalker
Admiral

InklingStar wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
mythme wrote:
And somewhat incestuous too.
What do you expect from a couple of royals?