RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,701
Members: 24,832
Currently online: 450
Newest member: eltonlight

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 24 2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Redfern
Commodore

Re: When I see people who have played the doctor in stuff

Oh, Christopher, your mentioning Tom Baker as the villain Kurra (sp?) in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad reminded me of something.

I read something once, most likely apocryphal, that Baker would not have minded continuing with the production if if he could have played a villain, particularly the Master. Consider how Kurra looked once he dropped the talisman segments into the enchanted fountain and it rejuvinated him. Remove the turban and slick back his hair, and he'd look like a successor to Roger Degado. Again, I'll point out this more likely just fannish rumor run wild, but I see the perfect opportunity where Baker's Master could have been introduced.

In this scenario, there would not have been a "Logopolis", at least not the way it unfolded. Instead, the regeneration story would have been the previous one, "The Keeper of Traken". Remember, the "burnt bacon" Master as played by Beevers, wanted to absorb the rest of the Doctor's regenerations for himself using the Source Manipulator. As depicted in the actual story, his efforts failed due to Adric's sabotage. But he gained enough power to take over Nyssa's father, Tremas and continued in that form until the cancellation of the original series.

But...I see how it could have played out very differently (at least "in universe" if not snactioned by the real life production). What if the Master were partially successful? I can imagine he starts his "leeching", but only manages the Doctor's current form as played by Tom Baker, but not all his potential regenerations. The Master takes on the guise of a van dyke bearded Baker and the Doctor himself is forced into a regeneration, introducing the next performer to play him (we'll assume it's still Peter Davison). Given the limitations of the BBC effects, I picture something akin to a simple "blurring" with a wash of light as Beever's scarred form grabs Baker, maybe "clawing" at his face. The optical makes the figures grow indistinct as both collapse. Adric and Nyssa approach the Doctor's form and remove a length of scarf that has fallen across his face to reveal his new form. The other body, still in the burnt robes rises with a menacing chuckle that only one actor can mange. He whips back the cowl to reveal Tom Baker with a mustache and beard rather like the reinvigurated Kurra from Golden Voyage... Cue the "sting" for the closing credits and the wait for the next season (series).

Again, I highly suspect Baker's comments about playing the Master are just that, suspect, but there was a perfect point in the series where Baker could have switched roles. And remembering him as Kurra, I think he could have made the role his own.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 11:16 PM   #17
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

William Hartnell was a well-known British film actor in the 40s and 50s. Famous enough to have his own fan club, for instance. His breakout role was playing Sergeant Fletcher in the war film "The Way Ahead", which is (rightly) an acclaimed performance. It did though serve to typecast him a bit, and he often ended up with gruff NCO type parts. To a certain extent, he was parodying that image when he appeared in Carry On Sergeant, and also the tv sitcom The Army Game - it's probably worth noting that he is effectively the straight man in these productions though. Other notable films he's in include Yangtse Incident, Brighton Rock, Hell Drivers, The Mouse That Roared and This Sporting Life. (It was this latter that made Verity Lambert think he might be a good choice for the Doctor.) Getting him for Doctor Who would have been seen as a big coup in those days. He's one of my favourite actors of all time, even regardless of his role in Doctor Who.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 11:36 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Oh! I remember seeing The Mouse That Roared on TV more than once in my youth, so that must mean I actually saw Hartnell long before I ever saw Doctor Who. I had no idea.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 01:19 AM   #19
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Oh! I remember seeing The Mouse That Roared on TV more than once in my youth, so that must mean I actually saw Hartnell long before I ever saw Doctor Who. I had no idea.
Yea, I'm pretty sure I saw The Mouse That Roared and the Sequel (Or The First one, if that's the Sequel?) back to back a couple times in the 1970s. Didn't see any Hartnell Who until the Mid 80s, earliest.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 01:34 AM   #20
Christopher
Writer

No, as I recall, The Mouse that Roared was the original book and movie, and The Mouse on the Moon was the sequel.

Ahh, here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mouse_That_Roared

Turns out there were two other sequels and a prequel in the book series, but only the two movies.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 03:25 PM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

The pre-DW Hartnell role that intrigues me is always Hell Drivers. In addition to a pre-DW Hartnell, it has a pre-Prisoner/ Danger Man Patrick McGoohan, a pre-007 Sean Connery, a pre-Professionals Gordon Jackson and a pre-Man from UNCLE David McCallum. In addition to having Jill Ireland, who was Spock's love Leila in Star Trek's This Side of Paradise (and who would marry McCallum and later Charles Bronson), it also features Herbert Lom (Dreyfuss in the Pink Panther films) and British comedy legends Sid James and Alfie Bass.
Old September 25 2012, 08:42 PM   #22
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Who isn't in that film? It's a bloody good movie as well.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 12:19 AM   #23
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Troughton was the priest impaled in the original The Omen. He was making a movie called the Viking Queen when he got the news he was the new Doctor.
Old September 28 2012, 04:29 PM   #24
Iamnotspock
Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
...it also features Herbert Lom (Dreyfuss in the Pink Panther films)
Who sadly passed away in the last couple of days.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 05:28 PM   #25
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^At the age of 95. A pretty good innings but RIP.