RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 382
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 24 2012, 06:33 AM   #1
magarity
Lieutenant Junior Grade

officers are called 'sir'

When Trip first meets his new captain on the Columbia he actually called her ma'am. No, no, no. Senior officers are called sir regardless of gender. Wasn't there even a scene in Voyager's first episode or so where this was explained for everyone who didn't already know?
magarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 06:40 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: officers are called 'sir'

JANEWAY: Gentlemen, welcome aboard Voyager.
KIM: Thank you, sir.
JANEWAY: Mister Kim, at ease before you sprain something. Ensign, despite Starfleet protocol, I don't like being addressed as sir.
KIM: I'm sorry, ma'am.
JANEWAY: Ma'am is acceptable in a crunch, but I prefer Captain.

Voy, Caretaker

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Maybe it's just his southern charm?

That was something that annoyed me with Janeway, not wanting to be called "sir". When she was a rank grade lower, did she insist on being addressed as Commandher or Cowomander, so as to offset the 'man' in the title?

It's protocol dear, just accept it, get over yourself and move on.
Old September 24 2012, 07:25 AM   #4
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

magarity wrote: View Post
When Trip first meets his new captain on the Columbia he actually called her ma'am. No, no, no. Senior officers are called sir regardless of gender. Wasn't there even a scene in Voyager's first episode or so where this was explained for everyone who didn't already know?
There's no reason why the protocol couldn't change over the 150+ years between Enterprise and Voyager.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 07:27 AM   #5
horatio83
Commodore

Claiming that something cannot be said in Trek because it runs counter to military tradition is just plain crazy.
I would never call anybody Sir by the way, it is a stupid word from aristocratic times and deserves to die out.
Old September 24 2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Shatinator
Commander

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Claiming that something cannot be said in Trek because it runs counter to military tradition is just plain crazy.
I would never call anybody Sir by the way, it is a stupid word from aristocratic times and deserves to die out.

You clearly don't live anywhere near the South (US). Most people despite of age use "Sir" and "Ma'am" as a sign of respect. Nothing 'crazy' 'bout it, just being courteous.

Old September 24 2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Rhaven
Captain

I disagree.
The use of sir, ma'am or miss is just a way of addressing someone you're speaking with.
Old September 24 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

First: Earth Starfleet is not the same organization as the Federation Starfleet. The latter is military; the former is not. So protocol is likely to be different.

Second: Of course Janeway doesn't like to be called 'Sir'. Janeway is female! Sir is a male term. You want to talk to a female superior officer, call her "ma'am", because it bloody well makes logical sense. People outside the military use the word "ma'am", so why shouldn't they use it IN the military?

Third: Strange as it may seem, there are - or were, I don't know if this shit still goes on - some extremely radical feminist groups who make up words like "womyn" and "herstory" because they don't like any word with "man" or "his" in it.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Middleman
Captain

View Middleman's Twitter Profile

Keep in mind that the Enterprise Era is about 200 years before Voyager.
Old September 24 2012, 07:12 PM   #10
horatio83
Commodore

Shatinator wrote: View Post

You clearly don't live anywhere near the South (US). Most people despite of age use "Sir" and "Ma'am" as a sign of respect. Nothing 'crazy' 'bout it, just being courteous.

It's a stupid word from aristocratic times. Strange that you guys in the US who got rid off monarchies earlier than European on average cherish such non-egalitarian language.

Furthermore what you said is simply wrong, sir is often used as formal way to address somebody and doesn't imply any respect.
Old September 24 2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Furthermore what you said is simply wrong, sir is often used as formal way to address somebody and doesn't imply any respect.
This says far more about you than it does about the current meaning behind the term's usage.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 08:18 PM   #12
horatio83
Commodore

Hardly as there is no equivalent of Sir in my native tongue.
If somebody wants to interview a powerful person from politics or business he will call him sir even if he totally dislikes the interviewee. If I were a journalist and would be able to get an interview with Dick Cheney I would call him sir while believing that he is a dick.

This is hardly surprising, all formal forms of courtesy are basically empty and serve mainly one purpose, to create a necessary distance between people. The best example is when you run into somebody else. You retreat and apologize because you invaded his private space, you recreate the distance, you don't warmly embrace him or her.
Back to sir, I have been called sir once precisely in order to signal the increase of personal distance. We got along well but now I want a slighter cooler relationship.
Old September 24 2012, 08:18 PM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral

Sir is still commonly used,
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Wereghost
Commodore

The usage of "sir" for female military superiors in Trek (and BSG) is grating, arguably misogynistic and (as far as I know) possibly Ron Moore's idea as it turned up in TNG once or twice.

Apparently, though, senior naval officers have traditionally referred to juniors using "mister" regardless of gender, so the cringeworthy use of "Mister Saavik" in whichever movie Saavik first appeared in might not be incorrect.
Old September 24 2012, 09:08 PM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Referring to a female officer as "sir," is (iirc) the current practice in the United States Coast Guard.

I very commonly refer to people as sir (or ma'am), it's how I was raised. I use it just about daily with my male friends. Saying something like "Sir, you are wrong," just rolls off the tongue.

it is a stupid word from aristocratic times and deserves to die out.
It is even more widely used in Latin America countries, not referring to someone (especially if they are older) as Señor or Señora is very disrespectful.

I would never call anybody Sir by the way
Using terms like sir shows that you are bem cultivado (well cultured).

Strange that you guys in the US who got rid off monarchies earlier than European on average cherish such non-egalitarian language.
One of the reasons America separated from Britain was that we didn't feel that we were being treated with respect by Britain, why would we dispense with important societal practice like sir?

Like it or not, Starfleet is the armed forces of the Federation, they possess a military hierarchy, and military customs and courtesies.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote