Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 20 2012, 06:32 PM   #31
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

Yet more pointless splitting hairs over official/fan/independent films? Can anyone honestly answer what difference does the label make? Outside of one's perception of how things "should" be? As if they get to decide?

Since this is on the future of Trek board, people really need to open up to the concept that sure CBS owns rights to Trek, but they're not doing anything with it and likely won't. The majority of the TV audiences would rather watch Survivor.

Paramount seems ready to milk the JJverse for all it's worth, so we might be able to look forward to a film every 3 or 4 years assuming interest doesn't wane, but the fact of the matter is unless something drastic happens to create interest in the franchise as a whole, the future of the franchise as it stands is going to be in the novels and the fan productions. If you worship at the altar of canon, which by all accounts is as inconsistent as any religion, you're in for disapointment.

To the above post, no this isn't exactly a sequel. It likely won't even tie in to the previous movie save that Chekov and Tuvok are in it. Though I suppose it's possible this "new threat" is somehow related. Though being they're secretly assembling a crew, I'd have to imagine that the threat is somehow an internal problem being "they will be hunted down as outlaws." But who knows?
Old September 20 2012, 07:01 PM   #32
Tom
Rear Admiral

Threat is not related to STOGAM's Gary Mitchell or Charlie Evans or anything related. That film was done as a tribute to the 40th anniversary of Star Trek, so it purposely contains several fanboy nods to TOS and it's characters. Beyond some returning characters (Chekov, Tuvok, Kim, etc.. so far) Everything will be all new. It is important to try to be as original as possible and not seem like a tribute to past Trek as STOGAM was meant to be. Established characters help establish give us the a familiar tie-in to the Star Trek universe but it is more important to establish many new characters to achieve a more compelling narrative going forward.
Old September 21 2012, 06:37 AM   #33
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

I haven't poked in this thread for a while because I absolutely agree with R. Star's sentiments. I get really frustrated when people who are able to get enough legal nods to make something really awesome in the Trek world and everyone pounces on it screaming "THIS ISN'T OFFICIAL, ITS NOT WORTH MY TIME".

You *HAVE* to give to get and underground attempts like this are making big splashes, but not enough of a splash to get a real series on the air.

This new project (that's a pilot btw) looks like a really good culmination of everything they've been playing with over the years. The work James Cawley has done has really pathed the way for a lot of things, such as the new Star Trek movies. Sadly he's been more of a footnote in history then anything =(.
Old September 21 2012, 06:50 AM   #34
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Lighthammer wrote: View Post
I get really frustrated when people who are [sic] able to get enough legal nods to make something really awesome in the Trek world and everyone pounces on it screaming "THIS ISN'T OFFICIAL, ITS NOT WORTH MY TIME".
I'm sorry, but who precisely has been saying that it's not worth their time?
Old September 21 2012, 05:48 PM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I haven't poked in this thread for a while because I absolutely agree with R. Star's sentiments. I get really frustrated when people who are able to get enough legal nods to make something really awesome in the Trek world and everyone pounces on it screaming "THIS ISN'T OFFICIAL, ITS NOT WORTH MY TIME".

You *HAVE* to give to get and underground attempts like this are making big splashes, but not enough of a splash to get a real series on the air.

This new project (that's a pilot btw) looks like a really good culmination of everything they've been playing with over the years. The work James Cawley has done has really pathed the way for a lot of things, such as the new Star Trek movies. Sadly he's been more of a footnote in history then anything =(.
You misrepresented what this project is and continue to do so, unless CBS commissioned this pilot.

It is what it is.
Old September 21 2012, 05:54 PM   #36
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
There is no sequel planned for STOGAM at this time. In some aspects, Renegades could be a sequel only where Chekov's character is concerned but thats it.
Doesn't the Trailer Specifically say "Sequel"? Chekov was promoted to Admiral at the end of Of Gods and Men, so, that seems pretty Sequel-ish to me. Sure, the Stories may have nothing in common other than characters and what's gone before, but, I don't think the ST09 Sequel (STID) is going to have much in common with ST09 other than the characters and what came before

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 08:33 PM   #37
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I figure an independent production is when the rights owner greenlight's a movie/series, but then tells the production company that the condition of approval is that they pay their own way, use their own equipment, etc.
An independent movie is one produced and financed outside of the major film studio system. That's all it means.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 03:52 AM   #38
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Because this is not how you get TV shows made. And who involved with this is "able to get enough legal nods to make something"? Tim Russ? He may be able to get himself an audition for a roll in a future show, and might even be able to direct an episode, but as a producer he would be laughed out the door by CBS. And Russ probably has the most impressive resume of the people involved.

You want to know who can get the legal nods to make a new TV show? Abrams, Orci, and co... Or Singer. Fuller may not even be able to get a show off the ground, but at least he wouldn't be laughed out the door. And if/when any of these guys tries to get approval it won't be with a filmed pilot in hand. It will be with a pitch, to be followed by a pilot script, and only then an actual pilot. If you think CBS is going to respond to these guys with anything besides a Cease and Desist, then you don't understand how business works.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 03:53 AM   #39
Tom
Rear Admiral

AviTrek wrote: View Post

If you think CBS is going to respond to these guys with anything besides a Cease and Desist, then you don't understand how business works.
If I had a dime for everytime somebody on this board thought CBS would give STOGAM and the producers a C&D during the past 5 years, I would be a pretty rich guy. lol
Old September 24 2012, 03:50 PM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

If you think CBS is going to respond to these guys with anything besides a Cease and Desist, then you don't understand how business works.
If I had a dime for everytime somebody on this board thought CBS would give STOGAM and the producers a C&D during the past 5 years, I would be a pretty rich guy. lol
As long as you're not trying to generate a profit off of it, CBS is content to leave you alone. But it also isn't them encouraging you to make a pilot they didn't commission.
Old September 24 2012, 04:58 PM   #41
Tom
Rear Admiral

Given the production costs of the project, a profit is not not even possible given CBS ownership of the copyright. CBS would obvious have to sanction the product, for any real profit to be made. Again, if nothing happens it just becomes a film Star Trek fans can watch and enjoy.
Old September 24 2012, 06:53 PM   #42
BillJ
Admiral

Seems like they've ensured nothing will happen. They've bypassed CBS and have information about the project all over the internet.
Old September 24 2012, 07:28 PM   #43
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

I don't think CBS will issue a C&D, but I think a C&D is a lot more likely than CBS licensing it after the fact and making it a pliot for a series.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 09:41 AM   #44
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

They actually outright answered me on Facebook saying they have a big a announcement coming in regarding to the CBS thing.

I should also mention that, like so of the others in this thread, it really makes them sad that people are making such a big deal about this "Not being a Trek series without CBS".
Old September 25 2012, 09:01 PM   #45
Tom
Rear Admiral

It's not regarding CBS per se. Also, "Not being a Trek series without CBS", is subjective in the fact that it is non-canonical if it was not sanctioned by the owners of the product.