Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 23 2012, 06:31 PM   #136
The Keeper
Commodore

Re: The First Poster for INTO DARKNESS Has Just Been Revealed...

Thank god IT'S A FAKE!

Nicely done!
Old September 23 2012, 06:45 PM   #137
Christopher
Writer

MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
And, the Botany Bay! It even has lasers and missile launchers and everything!
Uhhhhhhhhh... why? The Botany Bay was a sublight sleeper ship, probably designed for interplanetary travel. Even if there'd been anyone for it to fight, there wouldn't have been anyone awake to operate the weapons.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 06:49 PM   #138
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Thanks guys.

Christopher wrote: View Post
And, the Botany Bay! It even has lasers and missile launchers and everything!
Uhhhhhhhhh... why? The Botany Bay was a sublight sleeper ship, probably designed for interplanetary travel. Even if there'd been anyone for it to fight, there wouldn't have been anyone awake to operate the weapons.
Well, sure, it's a sleeper ship, but who knows what they would have found on the other end? I don't think Khan had a specific destination in mind, did he?

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 07:19 PM   #139
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ Regardless of what's supposed to be there or not, it's nice. Avatar's nice too, btw. I like a ship that smiles.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 07:36 PM   #140
Christopher
Writer

Well, sure, it's a sleeper ship, but who knows what they would have found on the other end? I don't think Khan had a specific destination in mind, did he?
Khan didn't design the ship; it was a pre-existing model. As Spock explained:

Captain, the DY-100 class vessel was designed for interplanetary travel only. With simple nuclear-powered engines, star travel was considered impractical at that time. It was ten thousand to one against their making it to another star system.
Khan and his followers had been beaten and were on the verge of arrest. They had to flee. They somehow obtained an existing DY-100-class vessel intended for interplanetary travel and managed to escape in it, taking a mad chance by trying to reach another star. This was a ship designed for going to Mars or the asteroids or the moons of Jupiter, most likely. There's no reason it would've been armed.

And they had to have a specific destination in mind. Space is huge and empty. Any randomly chosen vector will probably just lead you to drift forever in the void. The only way you'd reach another star system is by setting a course for it in advance -- and even then you'd have a good chance of missing it if your calculations were off even minutely. That may well be what happened with the Botany Bay.

Given their course in the direction of Menkar (Alpha Ceti, or "Ceti Alpha" as ST called it for some reason), the most likely candidates for their target star would've been Gliese 105 and Kappa Ceti -- neither of which would be ideal choices for habitability, but they're the only nearby stars in roughly that direction, and they're at least borderline cases.

Old September 23 2012, 08:29 PM   #141
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
That Gep has got a pretty good eye for detail.
Or just an obsessive knowledge of sci-fi hardware. I've only ever seen that style of tall, egg-shaped helmet in about 3 modern sci-fi productions, so it was pretty easy to narrow it down.
And the next one... I'm surprised the helmet got spotted so fast!

Larger:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps915e7463.jpg
Cool! Where'd you find a large enough version of the original? That 640x480 pic I posted is the biggest that seems to be out there.
Old September 23 2012, 09:27 PM   #142
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Or just an obsessive knowledge of sci-fi hardware.
That certainly doesn't hurt.
Old September 23 2012, 09:30 PM   #143
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Agreed with the Botany Bay not having nor needing any weaponry because of the early spacefaring era in which it was built and the nature of its design, but that's still an amazing pair of images. I think that the actual Botany Bay---if it appears in the new film at all---will look a little more like what we saw in the two different versions of "Space Seed" with a conning tower and the like to maintain continuity with the timeline before Nero changed it, but that's an awesome design. Love it!

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 11:31 PM   #144
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Or just an obsessive knowledge of sci-fi hardware. I've only ever seen that style of tall, egg-shaped helmet in about 3 modern sci-fi productions, so it was pretty easy to narrow it down.
And the next one... I'm surprised the helmet got spotted so fast!

Larger:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps915e7463.jpg
Cool! Where'd you find a large enough version of the original? That 640x480 pic I posted is the biggest that seems to be out there.
I'd got a plug-in for Photoshop called "Alien Skin Blowup" that I use to enlarge things like that. It actually converts it to a vector image, blows it up, and turns it back into a raster.

Still amazed you figured it out so quick.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
Old September 24 2012, 02:01 AM   #145
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Khan didn't design the ship; it was a pre-existing model. As Spock explained:

Captain, the DY-100 class vessel was designed for interplanetary travel only. With simple nuclear-powered engines, star travel was considered impractical at that time. It was ten thousand to one against their making it to another star system.
Khan and his followers had been beaten and were on the verge of arrest. They had to flee. They somehow obtained an existing DY-100-class vessel intended for interplanetary travel and managed to escape in it, taking a mad chance by trying to reach another star. This was a ship designed for going to Mars or the asteroids or the moons of Jupiter, most likely. There's no reason it would've been armed.

And they had to have a specific destination in mind. Space is huge and empty. Any randomly chosen vector will probably just lead you to drift forever in the void. The only way you'd reach another star system is by setting a course for it in advance -- and even then you'd have a good chance of missing it if your calculations were off even minutely. That may well be what happened with the Botany Bay.

Given their course in the direction of Menkar (Alpha Ceti, or "Ceti Alpha" as ST called it for some reason), the most likely candidates for their target star would've been Gliese 105 and Kappa Ceti -- neither of which would be ideal choices for habitability, but they're the only nearby stars in roughly that direction, and they're at least borderline cases.
True, Khan and his crew didn't design the ship, but wherever they got it, why couldn't it have had some armaments? I mean, it was built during wartime, so some country or organization might have had other uses for it, especially if there were enemy colonies or ships near Mars, or Jupiter?

It's going to be a retcon, anyway, right? I doubt they would leave the origin of Khan exactly the same, so why should the Botany Bay be any different.

One other thing... if they were just trying to get away, why would they have to pick a destination? What if the plan was just to head into deep space, in a random direction, and head back to Earth after years had passed?

Just thinking.

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
Old September 24 2012, 02:22 AM   #146
Christopher
Writer

True, Khan and his crew didn't design the ship, but wherever they got it, why couldn't it have had some armaments? I mean, it was built during wartime, so some country or organization might have had other uses for it, especially if there were enemy colonies or ships near Mars, or Jupiter?
There weren't. We're talking 1997, remember? Even in the Trek universe, there weren't any offworld colonies yet at that point. The Eugenics Wars were a strictly Earthbound conflict, so a vessel designed for extended interplanetary flights could only have been for civilian use. It's not like all civilian activity ceases to exist when there's a war on. The US has been fighting in Afghanistan for a decade now, but in that period we've managed to send a few probes to Mars and the asteroids, with another heading for Pluto.

And did you forget the part where it was a sleeper ship? Everybody onboard was in suspended animation. Who's gonna fire the weapons? Obviously a sleeper ship is not going to be a combat vessel.

It's going to be a retcon, anyway, right? I doubt they would leave the origin of Khan exactly the same, so why should the Botany Bay be any different.
"Going to be?" You're mistaking rumor for fact. We don't actually know who Cumberbatch is playing, but Simon Pegg has overtly stated that it's not Khan, and Karl Urban claimed at one point that it was Gary Mitchell.

One other thing... if they were just trying to get away, why would they have to pick a destination? What if the plan was just to head into deep space, in a random direction, and head back to Earth after years had passed?
I don't think that would be a very wise strategy. They left because they were beaten and outnumbered. Why would that be any different years or decades later?

Besides, it's not consistent with what Khan offered as the reason for their spaceflight: "A new life, a chance to build a world."

Old September 24 2012, 02:33 AM   #147
MadMan1701A
Commodore

There weren't. We're talking 1997, remember? Even in the Trek universe, there weren't any offworld colonies yet at that point. The Eugenics Wars were a strictly Earthbound conflict, so a vessel designed for extended interplanetary flights could only have been for civilian use. It's not like all civilian activity ceases to exist when there's a war on. The US has been fighting in Afghanistan for a decade now, but in that period we've managed to send a few probes to Mars and the asteroids, with another heading for Pluto.

And did you forget the part where it was a sleeper ship? Everybody onboard was in suspended animation. Who's gonna fire the weapons? Obviously a sleeper ship is not going to be a combat vessel.

"Going to be?" You're mistaking rumor for fact. We don't actually know who Cumberbatch is playing, but Simon Pegg has overtly stated that it's not Khan, and Karl Urban claimed at one point that it was Gary Mitchell.

I don't think that would be a very wise strategy. They left because they were beaten and outnumbered. Why would that be any different years or decades later?

Besides, it's not consistent with what Khan offered as the reason for their spaceflight: "A new life, a chance to build a world."
Hmm... IF they use Khan, what I was getting at is I really doubt they would keep the timeline the same. If they change it to 2097 or something, there certainly could be colonies out there.

As far as being a sleeper ship, not a combat vessel, you're absolutely correct about no one awake to fire the weapons while in flight. But, what about when they arrive at their destination? Defenseless ships are always getting in trouble in Sci-Fi

About coming back years later... it could have turned out just like it did on the Enterprise; they could have been gone long enough no one would remember who they were... They could have blended in, and slowly tried to build up more power. It probably would be easier to do that on Earth than on Enterprise...

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
Old September 24 2012, 03:12 AM   #148
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Hey guys.

Both of the posters was me, messing around. I was just trying to see if I could get some discussion going, while dropping hints about a new model I built.

I had some help from a couple of friends getting them posted earlier on.

So, here's a couple of larger images, and pictures of the new model. I'm going to go and post it in the art section also.

Larger: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/MadMan1701A/Botany%20Bay
I really like how they all look older in this.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 12:55 AM   #149
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Here's another one doing the rounds:

http://imageshack.us/f/571/intodarkness1.jpg/
Old September 28 2012, 12:58 AM   #150
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Nice. Not too shabby.

I just wish Paramount would make with the real thing by now.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote