Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 20 2012, 03:48 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: The title "Star Trek"

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but when Lucille Ball was presented with the title STAR TREK as head of Desilu, she thought it was going to be a show following around celebrities... and she liked THAT idea for a show. She was ahead of her time, as now a good percentage of TV is 'entertainment/celebrity' news.
That's not quite right. According to Inside Star Trek p. 22, what Ball thought was that Star Trek was going to be a work of historical fiction about the USO performers who'd entertained American troops in the South Pacific during WWII. In her realm of experience, the only thing a "star trek" could be was an overseas journey made by movie stars, and to her that suggested the USO.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:20 PM   #17
22 Stars
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
22 Stars wrote: View Post
Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but when Lucille Ball was presented with the title STAR TREK as head of Desilu, she thought it was going to be a show following around celebrities... and she liked THAT idea for a show. She was ahead of her time, as now a good percentage of TV is 'entertainment/celebrity' news.
That's not quite right. According to Inside Star Trek p. 22, what Ball thought was that Star Trek was going to be a work of historical fiction about the USO performers who'd entertained American troops in the South Pacific during WWII. In her realm of experience, the only thing a "star trek" could be was an overseas journey made by movie stars, and to her that suggested the USO.
I think the story is related slightly differently in the video Inside Star Trek, based on that book. I have posted the whole documentary on YouTube, as RM10475. I don't have access to YouTube here at work, but feel free to check it out.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 12:10 AM   #18
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

In french it was shown as "Patrouille Du Cosmos" (excuse the spelling) translated as "Cosmos Patrol" avery different meaning from a Trek.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 02:18 PM   #19
Tiberius
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
It sounds better than "Space Journey".
Personally I wish that the titles of Star Trek and Galaxy Quest had been reversed. Galaxy Quest would work better as the title of the serious, classy space adventure drama, and Star Trek would work better as the title of the comedy spoof thereof.
Of course, we can just assume that Galaxy Quest is the Trek universe's version of Star Trek...

But that leads to a question...

NX-01 was named Enterprise after the space shuttle, but in the Trek universe, how did the space shuttle get that name? After all, it was really named after Kirk's ship!
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 02:35 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

^Probably in-universe it was named after one of the many former oceangoing vessels called Enterprise, much as the space shuttle Challenger was named for the HMS Challenger.

Old September 21 2012, 03:18 PM   #21
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

IIRC, one of the NASA administrator's relatives served on the WWII carrier Enterprise, the shuttle was named after her.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:22 PM   #22
inflatabledalek
Captain

It's one of those titles that just feels right isn't it? Nice and simple and straight to the point.

Though I like Cosmos Patrol, it gives me mental images of a series all about the little fat green UFO Transformer flying about space.
Old September 21 2012, 06:54 PM   #23
Maple Dog
Lieutenant Commander

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
It's one of those titles that just feels right isn't it? Nice and simple and straight to the point.

Though I like Cosmos Patrol, it gives me mental images of a series all about the little fat green UFO Transformer flying about space.
I was about to say that,on french canadian tv Star Trek was "Patrouille du cosmos"
Old September 22 2012, 02:21 AM   #24
Valin
Rear Admiral

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
When Star Trek is exported to different countries and translated for local languages, Star Trek sometimes becomes "Journey to the Stars."

If they ever do a reboot/remake of 24th Century Trek, this has my vote as the perfect theme musc.
Old September 23 2012, 09:45 PM   #25
Warped9
Admiral

It's elegant and to-the-point title just works. Could have helped, too, because just imagine all the cheesy sounding titles it could have had.

- Space Patrol or Outer Space Patrol (redundant since all space beyond the Earth is outer or out there)
- Star Trails

I'm sure there are plenty others. Of course there could be positive alternatives. The Final Frontier or These Are The Voyages comes to mind.
Old September 23 2012, 09:56 PM   #26
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
NTRPRZ wrote: View Post
When Star Trek is exported to different countries and translated for local languages, Star Trek sometimes becomes "Journey to the Stars."

Or in German, "Raumschiff (spaceship) Enterprise."
So what was Enterprise, the series called?
Starting with Deep Space Nine German TV used the original titles, so first "Enterprise", and later "Star Trek: Enterprise".

Just in case you're curious: TNG was named "Raumschiff Enterprise - Das nächste Jahrhundert" ("Starship Enterprise - The next Century"
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 09:59 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

Well, there had already been a well-known US television series called Space Patrol in the 1950s, so naturally Roddenberry wouldn't have used that name. There was also a British marionette-based show of that name in 1963-4 (not from Gerry Anderson, and more realistic than his marionette shows) -- not to mention the German miniseries Raumpatrouille, meaning Space Patrol, which debuted only nine days after Star Trek premiered in the US!

Old September 23 2012, 10:24 PM   #28
iguana_tonante
Admiral

NTRPRZ wrote: View Post

Or in German, "Raumschiff (spaceship) Enterprise."
In Italy it was first broadcast under the name "Star Trek - Destinazione Cosmo" (Destination: Cosmos).
Old September 23 2012, 10:53 PM   #29
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

dub wrote: View Post
I'm guessing since there was already a show called "Lost in Space," they didn't want to use the word "Space" in the title. Anyway, just something I was wondering about tonight and hoped someone had an answer from an obscure interview with him somewhere.
It's possible they were also trying to distinguish themselves from earlier kids shows like "Tom Corbet, Space Cadet" and "Space Patrol."
Old September 23 2012, 11:08 PM   #30
MarsWeeps
Captain

I think in Japan, the title of the show translates into "Sulu: Master of Navigation!"
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote