Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 23 2012, 09:36 PM   #31
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Why No "Captains' Table" Story For Spock?

I also would love to see Charvanek tell a story here...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 10:30 PM   #32
Technobuilder
Commodore

Mage wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
He did command the Challenger at the beginning of Indistinguishable From Magic. He could tell a pre-IFM story.
That could be an interesting setup for a short story. Scott ended up at the Table after Challenger went kaboom, orders something green, and starts talking.
You know... I've always assumed that Scotty got out somehow, but it never occurred to me that this would be the most satisfying way for him to have done it.

LaForge was also Captain of the Challenger, so it would be neato if somehow (despite his recent demotion) LaForge is getting a drink at the bar and bumps into Scotty waiting for someone he can exit with.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 10:55 PM   #33
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I also would love to see Charvanek tell a story here...
Does she leave with Spock afterwards?
Admiral_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 10:57 PM   #34
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ I don't like that bit. Charvanek obviously has a thing for Spock, but - like Benson/Stabler on L&O:SVU - that should remain unrequited, IMHO.

Besides, isn't Spock still married to Saavik?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old September 23 2012, 11:01 PM   #35
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I don't like that bit. Charvanek obviously has a thing for Spock, but - like Benson/Stabler on L&O:SVU - that should remain unrequited, IMHO.

Besides, isn't Spock still married to Saavik?
I never liked that pairing, as Spock was the perfect mentor for Saavik and should have remained such, regardless of whatever feelings Saavik may have harbored toward him.
Old September 23 2012, 11:54 PM   #36
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Admiral_Sisko wrote: View Post
I never liked that pairing, as Spock was the perfect mentor for Saavik and should have remained such, regardless of whatever feelings Saavik may have harbored toward him.
Vulcans live a very long time. They waited several decades before making their decision not to both keep living alone.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 12:06 AM   #37
Christopher
Writer

^Right. Their marriage was in 2329, a whole 55 years after they met. Even for Vulcans, that's a big percentage of a lifetime. By the time they got married, any mentor-pupil relationship was far, far in the past. Also, by that time, Spock was nearly 100 and Saavik would've been in her upper 60s, so the percentage difference in their ages would've become much lower.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 12:06 AM   #38
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Vulcans live a very long time. They waited several decades before making their decision not to both keep living alone.
I understand about the increased lifespan enjoyed by Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, etc. I simply don't agree with the Spock/Saavik pairing, as she doesn't seem the type of woman whom Spock would want to take as his wife. Charvanek seems a much better fit.
Old September 24 2012, 12:59 AM   #39
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

she doesn't seem the type of woman whom Spock would want to take as his wife.
Because...?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 01:27 AM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I think Saavik is exactly the kind of woman Spock would want to marry.
Old September 25 2012, 02:36 AM   #41
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

I'd be very happy to - someday - get a Spock Captain's Table story. I'm a big fan of the Spock-as-Captain concept and haven't gotten nearly enough of it. One of the reasons I'm really enjoying The Sorrows of Empire is Spock in Kirk's shoes plot.

I'd welcome a Reyes or Shran story, too.

Perhaps a Captain's Table e-book series? Hint, hint Pocket!
Old September 28 2012, 01:29 PM   #42
Markonian
Captain

Another installment of The Captain's Table I'd like to read very much. Imho, a two-parter anthology could be a good idea to confront it.

Here's why:
Produce an anthology featuring several captains not represented before. If it sells well, produce the second book with the rest. Hm, it sounded more convincing in my mind, before I wrote it down.

So, do we have a definitive list of captains? IIrc, some Klingon Empire characters were captains, too, by A Singular Destiny. However, I'm not sure whether they are memorable enough to have a short story of their own.

The list, so far:
Spock
Geordi La Forge
Montgomery Scott
Ezri Dax
Sonya Gomez
Hravishran th'Zoarhi
former IKS Gorkon crewmembers

I'd exclude Diego Reyes because we already knew him as post-Captain character and there was a story with him as captain already.

If you don't mind an off-topic question: Why did Kirk become an Admiral directly after Captain, and not a Commodore?
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 03:02 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

Markonian wrote: View Post
If you don't mind an off-topic question: Why did Kirk become an Admiral directly after Captain, and not a Commodore?
Because the commodore rank was apparently phased out around that time. In real life, the US Navy stopped using the commodore rank in 1947, replacing it with rear admiral (although since the '80s commodore has been used as a title for senior captains in certain positions), and apparently the makers of TMP and later Trek productions decided to follow that precedent, perhaps feeling the commodore rank was too old-fashioned. TMP did include a reference to "Commodore Probert" in background dialogue recorded for the Epsilon 9 sequence, but that was just filler dialogue that wasn't meant to be clearly audible. There are also screen graphics listing commodores in TNG: "Conspiracy," but again those probably weren't meant to be clearly legible, and aside from that there are no references to Starfleet commodores at any point after TMP.

Old September 28 2012, 03:06 PM   #44
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

A Captain's Table Captain Robau book would be awesome (but unlikely)

I'd also like a Captain April story, Diane Carey version. Although that presents several problems regarding Carey's old pre-TOS concepets having been trampled by subsequent canon. I'd just lift the characters and put them in a current canon compliant (TM) version of the era, with any references to events from Final Frontier and Best Destiny kept vague.
Old September 28 2012, 03:19 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I'd also like a Captain April story, Diane Carey version.
There is one -- "Though Hell Should Bar the Way" in Enterprise Logs, by our very own Greg Cox. It's not a Captain's Table story, but it is very much about Carey's version of April and his crew.

If you want stories focused on captains, then you really need to get Enterprise Logs as well as The Captain's Table. They overlap pretty well. True, only one story in EL is in the Captain's Table format with the captain narrating a story to the bar patrons, but then, a number of the stories in Tales from the Captain's Table didn't fit that format either, except for brief framing passages.