Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 23 2012, 04:51 PM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Kate Mulgrew's decision to not have a romance

That was actually one of my favorite Janeway scenes where she's reprograming that Fair Haven hologram to her specifications, all while she's slowly stalking around it like a preditor.

"Delete the wife."
Old September 23 2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara

I think if you're looking at a 70 year trip home then it's okay to relax the rules a little bit. I understand why she didn't, but I don't think anyone would have looked badly on it if she had given the circumstances.
Old September 23 2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Violet.Phoenix
Commander

If they had been in the Delta Quadrant for a longer period of time I would think that something would have given in, either the rules or Janeway. I highly doubt that she would keep going back to her Irish pub boy whenever she needed to release a little tension.

Of course, we all know that a relationship between her and Chuckles would have gone down the drain if they had remained in the DQ.

Last edited by Violet.Phoenix; September 24 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Violet.Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 08:07 PM   #19
purplebookworm
Ensign

I haven't finished watching season 7 yet, but it seems to me that part of it is that Janeway is punishing herself by staying alone. Starfleet really should send Voyager a counselor hologram.
purplebookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 08:26 PM   #20
Madzilla
Lieutenant

View Madzilla's Twitter Profile

I'm a huge J/C shipper, but I don't know that I'd have wanted it to happen in, I don't know, season 4 or something (although I would have LOVED to see something along the lines of Isabo's Shirt that at least acknowledged and 'resolved' it rather than just letting it hang for seven years and then trolling everybody at the end). I would have preferred it either happen right at the end (either in the last handful of episodes or in the very last ep), or to leave it completely open. (ANYTHING but what we got, lol.)

I've seen relationships happen on shows between couples that previously had a lot of UST and it often ruins the dynamic and the show - a case of 'be careful what you wish for', I guess. On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to seeing how their relationship will work in the novels, so maybe it would have been handled well - I doubt it, though, to be honest.
Madzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I really liked those episodes of MASH where Hotlips and Hawkeye hooked up until he ruined it.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 08:30 PM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

purplebookworm wrote: View Post
I haven't finished watching season 7 yet, but it seems to me that part of it is that Janeway is punishing herself by staying alone. Starfleet really should send Voyager a counselor hologram.
Just have Troi send her a message, "If you can't handle it, maybe you should consider transfering to a transport ship. There's a lot less pressure there."
Old September 23 2012, 08:48 PM   #23
Violet.Phoenix
Commander

Madzilla wrote: View Post
(although I would have LOVED to see something along the lines of Isabo's Shirt that at least acknowledged and 'resolved' it rather than just letting it hang for seven years and then trolling everybody at the end).
I completely agree, the short story "Isabo's Shirt" gives us a scene that really should have been in the show. There was always that sort of unspoken reasoning behind why Janeway didn't pursue a relationship with Chakotay, but it was never explicitly stated. I feel like a scene resembling the events of that story would have given us more clarity and at least something of a 'resolution' to the tension between the two of them.

I would have preferred it either happen right at the end (either in the last handful of episodes or in the very last ep), or to leave it completely open. (ANYTHING but what we got, lol.)
If they had built it up more during "Endgame" (which really would not have been that difficult) then it could have worked, so long as it wasn't just thrown at us like that other relationship, ugh.

I've seen relationships happen on shows between couples that previously had a lot of UST and it often ruins the dynamic and the show - a case of 'be careful what you wish for', I guess.
I've seen this in a couple of shows that I've been following for that past few years. I think that with the kind of tension they had (these couples) it was inevitable, but for one it has been filled with challenges and for the other it remains to be seen what becomes of them getting together.

I think it really depends on the nature of the show and the environment that the characters live in. For Janeway and Chakotay it was trying to lead a group of people through an extremely volatile place where they had no idea of what they would encounter. On the one hand I can understand not wanting to pursue a relationship because it could completely mess with the thinking within the Command structure, but on the other hand I think, wouldn't it be good to have that person there for additional support when you really need it?

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to seeing how their relationship will work in the novels, so maybe it would have been handled well - I doubt it, though, to be honest.
I'm really looking forward to what the novels have in store for them as well, so long as Janeway doesn't start having kids in the next one! Let her enjoy being back for a bit before she starts having little "angry warriors".
Old September 23 2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Janeways don't raise their children. They abandon their litters on far off jungle rainforest planets to fend for themselves.

Old September 23 2012, 09:58 PM   #25
Brit
Captain

Her reasoning was all wrong for the show and the character. Here she is September 2009, and her reasoning was the audience demographic wouldn't accept her as a Captain who also has relationships. She believed the hype that only young men watched Star Trek, and that young men was the audience they needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVOzPUvtww

While the truth is Star Trek and Voyager's demographic was women, who would have loved Janeway in relationships, but not the alien of the week.

Question 8: Select Sex and Age:
71% female, 29% male.
The majority of females fell between 41-50 at 66%. The males in that same age range came in at 34%.
The next highest category were fans between 21-30. 52% female, 48% male.
For those who are familiar with the history of Star Trek fandom, this is not surprising data. It also made sense when placed within the context of the other questions and the resulting data. I had also elaborated more on this data in my first blog, a follow up to the first survey. The detailed report on that survey is also on my site and contains additional information.
http://startrek.com/article/followin...nalysis-part-2

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 10:01 PM   #26
Lynx
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
I think she's right!

Honestly, there have been too many "pairing offs" in too many series (not only Star Trek) between characters who haven't had any chemistry at all, just for the sake of it.

I think that Janeway was right in her statement and I also think that the writers did handle it good. Until the last episode!

However, I wouldn't have objected if they had came up with a "happy ending" between Janeway and Chakotay in the last episode. That's what many fans wanted, there was a chemistry between Janeway and Chakotay and it would have been perfectly OK when the series was about to end.
That's why I am quite thrilled with the ending of The Eternal Tide, that something a sizable chunk of fans wanted (not me, lol) actually took place in TrekLit. I'm happy for them.. and I will just retreat to my J/7 youtubes...
Is "Eternal Tide" a new Voyager book and what's so special about that ending? (Give me a spoiler if you don't want to ruin it for future book buyers).

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 10:11 PM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Janeway died a few years ago, in the end of this book she might come back to life somehow maybe.

Either they brought her back or it was a set up cock tease for when they bring her back in the next book, which again might be another set up cock tease for when they bring her back in the book after that...

Marketing.

We should round up all the publicists & advertising executives in the world and drown them.

Old September 24 2012, 12:53 AM   #28
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

R. Star wrote: View Post
That was actually one of my favorite Janeway scenes where she's reprograming that Fair Haven hologram to her specifications, all while she's slowly stalking around it like a preditor.

"Delete the wife."
That is a great line, "like a predator". Really adds something to the scene!

Violet.Phoenix wrote: View Post
If they had been in the Delta Quadrant for a longer period of time I would think that something would have given in, either the rules or Janeway. I highly doubt that she would keep going back to her Irish pub boy whenever she needed to release a little tension.
Because she created him too close to her men feelings and fell for him? I do think she would be better off with someone she can completely objectify and not read poetry with. Compartmentalize the lust rather than going for the full banquet.
Of course, we all know that a relationship between her and Chcukles would have gone down the drain if they had remained in the DQ.
Why would that have happened?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Janeways don't raise their children. They abandon their litters on far off jungle rainforest planets to fend for themselves.
That's pretty much it in Treklit. People are always on ships for YEARS while their very young children are planetside with a partner or a grandparent. Apparently this does not fuck you up in the 24th century.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 12:55 AM   #29
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
In Night, she stayed in her room for three months rocking back in fourth eating her own hair.
Unfit for command.

END OF LINE.
Old September 24 2012, 12:59 AM   #30
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Yes let's put Chuckles in charge.

They would have all settled on some planet within two years.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote