RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Posts: 5,430,391
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 435
Newest member: DimeRhyme


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 21 2012, 12:35 AM   #331
Count Zero
Decidedly something
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: The Newsroom.

You'll like this,then, I hope. Charlie is pretty awesome and some of his expressions have found their way into my vocabulary ("What in the name of holy fuck?" and "I'm not fucking around!"). Also, my current signature is something very true he says to Will in the finale. I really have three favourite characters, Will, Mac and Charlie, though all the others are pretty great and enjoyable, too, especially Sloan Sabbith.
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 01:11 PM   #332
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander
 
Jimi_James's Avatar
 
Location: Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky
View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile
Re: The Newsroom.

For some reason, the video wouldn't play on that site. I had to track it down on another site...and it was so worth it. Charlie is awesome.

I was on the fence about Sloan. Being a long time G4 and Attack of the Show watcher, I'm more than familiar with Olivia Munn, but I wasn't sure what she would bring to the show or even that she would be able to handle Sorkin's dialog. Much to my surprise though, her character definitely shined and she's my favorite female character after Mac.
__________________
“I was here,” says Man. “Prove it,” says the Universe.” Method of Life, a post apocalyptic sci-fi ebook available on Amazon.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 11:07 AM   #333
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: The Newsroom.

Jimi_James wrote: View Post
For some reason, the video wouldn't play on that site. I had to track it down on another site...and it was so worth it. Charlie is awesome.

I was on the fence about Sloan. Being a long time G4 and Attack of the Show watcher, I'm more than familiar with Olivia Munn, but I wasn't sure what she would bring to the show or even that she would be able to handle Sorkin's dialog. Much to my surprise though, her character definitely shined and she's my favorite female character after Mac.
Yeah.. they've written Sloan pretty well for Olivia. She is brilliant in her field but outside she fumbles like everyone of us.. still a nerd

And Olivia plays her quite well.. i'd wish that Munn would expand her acting career because she's not bad. She's got the looks (important in Hollywood these days) and she's better that many of the so called young A listers (Kristen Stewart for example) i've seen recently.
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 11:28 AM   #334
Eno
Lieutenant
 
Location: An arts community
View Eno's Twitter Profile
Re: The Newsroom.

Australis wrote: View Post
I've been given to understand that photo id is required (saw it on the news).

BTW, there's an election coming, please vote. Australia has mandatory voting, and most of us this it's a very good thing and take it serious.

And think of McAvoy's show as the Fox News of the Left, though at least rooted in facts.
The above comment is mistaken. Australia does not have mandatory voting. One does not have to register to vote. If one does register and then fails to vote, one is then fined.
Eno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 03:37 PM   #335
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: The Newsroom.

Eno wrote: View Post
Australis wrote: View Post
I've been given to understand that photo id is required (saw it on the news).

BTW, there's an election coming, please vote. Australia has mandatory voting, and most of us this it's a very good thing and take it serious.

And think of McAvoy's show as the Fox News of the Left, though at least rooted in facts.
The above comment is mistaken. Australia does not have mandatory voting. One does not have to register to vote. If one does register and then fails to vote, one is then fined.
That is still ridiculous in what is considered a free country.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 03:00 AM   #336
Australis
Writer
 
Australis's Avatar
 
Location: The Electric Age
Re: The Newsroom.

Hmm, let's go to Wikipedia:
Australia enforces compulsory voting. Compulsory voting at referendums was considered when a referendum was proposed in 1915, but, as the referendum was never held, the idea was put on hold. The immediate impetus for compulsory voting at federal level was the low voter turnout (59.38 percent) at the 1922 federal election. However, it was not on the platform of either the Stanley Bruce-led Nationalist/Country party coalition government or the Matthew Charlton-led Labor opposition to introduce this requirement; rather, the initiative was taken by a backbench Tasmanian senator from the Nationalists, Herbert Payne, who introduced a Private Senator's Bill, the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1924, on 16 July 1924. Senator Payne's bill was passed with little debate (the House of Representatives agreed to it in less than an hour), and in neither house was a division required, hence no votes were recorded against the bill. It received Royal Assent on 31 July 1924. The 1925 federal election was the first to be held under compulsory voting; the turnout figure climbed to 91.4 per cent, an increase of 32 percentage points on the previous election.

Voting is compulsory both at federal elections and at elections for the state and territory legislatures. In the states of South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia voting at local elections is not compulsory. About 5% of enrolled voters fail to vote at most elections. People in this situation are asked to explain their failure to vote. If no satisfactory reason is provided (for example, illness or religious prohibition), a relatively small fine is imposed ($20), and failure to pay the fine may result in a court hearing.
@ Eno - that to me is mandatory voting.

@ bigdaddy - to me it just underlines that it's a serious business, and I feel that if you don't vote, you don't get to complain. More importantly than that, if as many people as possible vote, it gives whoever is in power a more accurate reflection of their true mandate and responsibility, and a snapshot of where the electorate is at.

And oddly enough, we feel freer for it, because we know the voting isn't in the hands of a motivated few or special interests.

To get back to the topic at hand...

I'd only seen Olivia Munn on The Daily Show a few times, and thought her pretty but not anything special. Seeing her with proper dialogue in a drama, yeah, she is pretty good, and I hope they utilise her more next season.
__________________
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 01:18 PM   #337
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: The Newsroom.

Eno wrote: View Post
Australis wrote: View Post
I've been given to understand that photo id is required (saw it on the news).

BTW, there's an election coming, please vote. Australia has mandatory voting, and most of us this it's a very good thing and take it serious.

And think of McAvoy's show as the Fox News of the Left, though at least rooted in facts.
The above comment is mistaken. Australia does not have mandatory voting. One does not have to register to vote. If one does register and then fails to vote, one is then fined.
When you are threathened with punishment if you don't do something iuts mandatory. You don't need a firing squad to make something mandaotory.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 02:13 PM   #338
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: The Newsroom.

Yep. Sounds mandatory to me.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 02:52 PM   #339
Count Zero
Decidedly something
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: The Newsroom.

I think what the poster meant to say was that you don't have to register to vote so you can get out of the mandatory part of voting. While this might be true the Australian system is still commonly referred to as mandatory voting (it's worth noting that you can, of course, void your ballot then).
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 05:18 PM   #340
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: The Newsroom.

Australis wrote: View Post
Hmm, let's go to Wikipedia:
Australia enforces compulsory voting. Compulsory voting at referendums was considered when a referendum was proposed in 1915, but, as the referendum was never held, the idea was put on hold. The immediate impetus for compulsory voting at federal level was the low voter turnout (59.38 percent) at the 1922 federal election. However, it was not on the platform of either the Stanley Bruce-led Nationalist/Country party coalition government or the Matthew Charlton-led Labor opposition to introduce this requirement; rather, the initiative was taken by a backbench Tasmanian senator from the Nationalists, Herbert Payne, who introduced a Private Senator's Bill, the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1924, on 16 July 1924. Senator Payne's bill was passed with little debate (the House of Representatives agreed to it in less than an hour), and in neither house was a division required, hence no votes were recorded against the bill. It received Royal Assent on 31 July 1924. The 1925 federal election was the first to be held under compulsory voting; the turnout figure climbed to 91.4 per cent, an increase of 32 percentage points on the previous election.

Voting is compulsory both at federal elections and at elections for the state and territory legislatures. In the states of South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia voting at local elections is not compulsory. About 5% of enrolled voters fail to vote at most elections. People in this situation are asked to explain their failure to vote. If no satisfactory reason is provided (for example, illness or religious prohibition), a relatively small fine is imposed ($20), and failure to pay the fine may result in a court hearing.
@ Eno - that to me is mandatory voting.

@ bigdaddy - to me it just underlines that it's a serious business, and I feel that if you don't vote, you don't get to complain. More importantly than that, if as many people as possible vote, it gives whoever is in power a more accurate reflection of their true mandate and responsibility, and a snapshot of where the electorate is at.

And oddly enough, we feel freer for it, because we know the voting isn't in the hands of a motivated few or special interests.

To get back to the topic at hand...

I'd only seen Olivia Munn on The Daily Show a few times, and thought her pretty but not anything special. Seeing her with proper dialogue in a drama, yeah, she is pretty good, and I hope they utilise her more next season.
Whilst I agree voting is important, by being fined if you don't vote how are you freer?

In countries without mandatory voting or being fined if you don't you are in essence being force to vote to escape punishment hardly free.

I agree if you don't vote don't complain about the result, you had your chance to make your voice heard. You don't even have to vote you can go into a booth and spoil your ballot. As those are counted and announced in the UK, the Politicans might take more notice if the voting went more like this

5 000 for Party A
4 500 for Party B
3 200 for Party C
7 000 Spoilt ballots.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
aaron sorkin, the newsroom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.