Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Power Of Three"
Geronimo! 32 26.67%
Good 60 50.00%
Average 17 14.17%
Bad 7 5.83%
The little boxes will make you angry 4 3.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 22 2012, 11:23 PM   #16
Wereghost
Commodore

Re: 7X04 The Power Of Three (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Liked it. Not perfect, and treading ground that's a little familiar after The Lodger, but a nice little story about the relationship between the three main characters. Enjoyed the one-to-one between Amy and the Doctor, and it was nice to see the nod to Lethbridge-Stewart. The Freak Of The Week was a bit generic, but since it was little more than a McGuffin that's hardly a crippling failure. This is one of those episodes, like Dinosaurs On A Spaceship, that feels like it would stand up to repeat viewings.

So even with a bit of a dip in quality last episode, I think that's four-for-four this season.

Bacl wrote: View Post
They made the mistake of taking a show that kids could watch too, and turning it into a kids show that adults can watch too. There's a difference there, and we're seeing it.
Personally, I think that under Moffat the show is as smart as it's ever been. And wasn't it originally conceived as a kids' show that adults could watch with them?
Old September 22 2012, 11:48 PM   #17
Ghost Bones
Captain

Pindar wrote: View Post
Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Child friendly except for Amy's "Och aye, ah've always wanted a troop of soldiers tay give me a raight good seeing to, hoots mon".
What's with the Scot bashing? It's offensive, she is Scottish, she has a Scottish accent. She doesn't talk like a bad comedy stereotype.
I'm not Scot bashing, just Amy bashing. And she does talk like that when I'm restating what she said in a comic way that makes its meaning clearer.
Old September 22 2012, 11:48 PM   #18
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Anyone notice this?

When the episode hit's Christmas time there's a song playing at Rory's hospital

lyrics

".....Does he ride a red nose reindeer?!"

It's the same song that played when Mickey noticed the doctor was coming back in "The Christmas Invasion"
Old September 22 2012, 11:51 PM   #19
Ghost Bones
Captain

That's because it's the song that's played absolutely everywhere, all day long and all over Britain when it's Christmas. And I'm not joking. It's Slade. Of course, they don't actually play music in hospitals, but I guess they thought the audience might be too stupid to realise it's Christmas just with "December" on the screen and tinsel everywhere.
Old September 22 2012, 11:58 PM   #20
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

I feel it's just as good as last week's, although I still prefer the first two episodes this series.

Incidentally, a black cube has just followed me on Twitter.

"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell
People call me Zion Ravescene...
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 12:09 AM   #21
Wereghost
Commodore

^ As long as you don't get attached to it, you should be okay. At least it isn't a Weeping Angel.
Old September 23 2012, 12:13 AM   #22
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I voted Good. It was amazing how much that felt like an RTD era adventure. Matt once again came off as quite Doctorish.

Now that shes had ten years to mellow, I actually found myself liking Amy. She and Rory seem like a real couple.

I quite enjoyed the cubes, Almost as much fun as the Adipose. My only complaint was the alien menace at the end seemed rather rushed, and thrown in at the last minute. Understandable I guess, as examining the relationship between the Doctor and his companions was the real meat of the story. The rooftop scenes with Amy and the Doctor was really lovely. Probably the best use of Amy so far.

They never did explain why the Shakri was capturing humans though. Everyone seemed to forget that a dozen or so people were still on the ship when it blew up.
And my, those few million people sure seemed to bounce back from being dead for several minutes didn't they?

*Whoo! Zygon reference!

* Heres hoping UNIT goes back to being good guys, now that they're in such capable hands. I'd love to see another story with Kate.

* And such a shame we'll likely never see Rory's dad again after next week.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; September 23 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 12:26 AM   #23
I am not Spock
Commodore

I liked it. I didn't really care about the Shakri McGuffin, the episode was really about the Doctor and his relationship with Amy and Rory. (Although it was cool to see Steven Berkoff, albeit briefly, in Doctor Who. We can now add him to the list of actors who've been in Dr Who and Star Trek. He was the arms dealer in the DS9 episode 'Business as Usual' )

I'm not sure why they brought in Rory's father so late in the game, when we probably won't see him again once Amy and Rory leave the show, but I like him. He's a hoot to have around.

It was awesome to get a Lethbridge Stewart reference as well.

I'm really going to miss Amy She so purdy.
Old September 23 2012, 12:32 AM   #24
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Slightly better than last week's average ep, so I (admittedly, generously) gave it a Good vote.

In all, a strange mix of stuff I really, really liked (UNIT back, Lethbridge-Stewart's cool daughter, the cubes themselves as a concept, the "sides" pun, the Doctor being unable to sit still and his later explanation as to why, the idea of the Shakri being a Gallifreyan bogeyman type fairy tale told to Time Lord kiddies, the Savoy hotel skit complete with the Doctor holding a Savoy cabbage at the end) and stuff I thought was truly dreadful that others have already mentioned (unexplained aspects of the plot/rushed ending, Amy's cringeworthy power of three line, the weak attempts at comedy revolving around Amy/Rory/Rory's Dad, shoehorned lame BBC cameos, people being dead for what seemed about 10-20 minutes then getting up and walking around looking just mildly perplexed).

Next week's ep actually looks genuinely good though. The Angels are the best villains of the new series.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 01:06 AM   #25
jbny67
Commander

Some nonsense bollocks who are Emporer Palpatine
When I saw him I thought he looked more like Vader with his helmet off.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 01:17 AM   #26
Iamnotspock
Captain

wamdue wrote: View Post
As for the Brigs daughter, I guess its nice, but seems a little forced and out of no where, I mean has she ever been mentioned before?
Yes, but not in the main show. It's a nod to the spin-off media.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Anyone notice this?

When the episode hit's Christmas time there's a song playing at Rory's hospital

lyrics

".....Does he ride a red nose reindeer?!"

It's the same song that played when Mickey noticed the doctor was coming back in "The Christmas Invasion"
"Merry Christmas Everybody" by Slade. It's a massively well-known song in the UK, having been the Christmas No.1 in 1973, and tends to be played ad nauseum around that time of year to this day. It was also featured in The Runaway Bride and Turn Left.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 01:21 AM   #27
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I hit IMDB to see who was playing the new Lethbridge-Stewart and thought the internet would explode at who they had listed with her. I can only assume
being listed is a prank.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 01:24 AM   #28
Ghost Bones
Captain

jbny67 wrote: View Post
Some nonsense bollocks who are Emporer Palpatine
When I saw him I thought he looked more like Vader with his helmet off.
I thought that, but before we saw him his voice was very Palps.
Old September 23 2012, 01:41 AM   #29
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Do you think products like this will see a surge in sales?
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 02:01 AM   #30
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Do you think products like this will see a surge in sales?
heh, thats kinda neat. i'd buy it.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote