Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 23 2012, 12:47 AM   #16
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Re: Should Geordi have moved on?

Sho wrote: View Post
I really like the idea of rebooting SCE with LaForge involvement ..
Agreed. LaForge is a great choice to Captain an SCE reboot
Old September 23 2012, 12:57 AM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Admiral M wrote: View Post
I'd rather that Star Trek mirrored real-world military sometimes. In the sense that in real-world military, rank is greatly determined by years of service.
On the other hand, the problem with real-world precedents in Trek is that you're only talking about one world. Lots of people complain that Starfleet is too Earth-dominated and doesn't show enough signs of the influence of the alien cultures that co-founded the Federation. So maybe Starfleet practice shouldn't be too exact a parallel to the real-world, i.e. Earth, military. Maybe the reason it isn't is because there are Vulcan and Andorian and Tellarite influences in the way it deals with rank, position, and promotion.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 01:36 AM   #18
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Admiral M wrote: View Post
I'd rather that Star Trek mirrored real-world military sometimes. In the sense that in real-world military, rank is greatly determined by years of service.
On the other hand, the problem with real-world precedents in Trek is that you're only talking about one world. Lots of people complain that Starfleet is too Earth-dominated and doesn't show enough signs of the influence of the alien cultures that co-founded the Federation. So maybe Starfleet practice shouldn't be too exact a parallel to the real-world, i.e. Earth, military. Maybe the reason it isn't is because there are Vulcan and Andorian and Tellarite influences in the way it deals with rank, position, and promotion.
But don't so trek book series use the you don't have to have captain's rank to captain a ship?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 01:43 AM   #19
Christopher
Writer

^Well, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. There are a lot of different rules in play; that's just one of them.

And of course the real explanation is that various different writers are making it up as they go so it's inconsistent. But at least we can pretend that inconsistency reflects multicultural influence.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 02:00 PM   #20
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
Sho wrote: View Post
I really like the idea of rebooting SCE with LaForge involvement ..
Agreed. LaForge is a great choice to Captain an SCE reboot
This sounds like a good idea to me! Ever since "Timeless" I've wanted to see Captain LaForge. We got just a taste of that in Indistinguishable, but now that I'm reading Mr. George's Typhon Pact books, I see that he has been demoted again. I do think it's time that the character move on and a SCE series would be a good place for him.

Some might feel if Geordi gets promoted he's going to be written out of the novels. That is a possibility, but the way I see it, he barely gets much attention in the novels right now, and if he's going to be sidelined, I would rather have it be that his character has moved on as the reason for him not being written about. It at least offers the potential for new development with him at some future date.

Last edited by DarKush; September 23 2012 at 02:13 PM.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 02:12 PM   #21
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
Well, I am glad that, after choosing to remain on Enterprise, he decided to step back to commander. It felt weird, two captains. I know, it was done in the TOS movie,
With more than one character - Captain Spock, and Captain Scott, Captain of Engineering.

That being said, I'd love to have Geordi in command of his own SCE ship!!!!!!
Would be cool. But enough of the TNG crew have split off already.
Have there really been that many TNG crew that have split off? It's just Riker and Troi. Not counting Data since he's dead.

I haven't finished reading the George duology so I could be in error, but to my knowledge Picard, Worf, Crusher, and LaForge are all still on the Enterprise. The Enterprise-E crew hasn't split up enough.

I think the newer secondary characters introduced during the TNG-R might better be categorized as being split up (or otherwise): Kadohata, Leybenzon, T'Lana, Nave, Battaglia, than the traditional ENT crew.

If anything, Geordi would be the most likely candidate to leave the ENT-E next. The other old hands are in new roles, but Geordi is still stuck doing what he's been doing for 20 years. Though that can be 'realistic', this is fiction, and I would like to see more character growth. Besides, Taurik is a credible replacement.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 02:35 PM   #22
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
Besides, Taurik is a credible replacement.
And with him you still have a TNG character even though he showed up maybe once or twice your just promoting him from secondary to primary status.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote