Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 21 2012, 03:08 PM   #1
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile
Should Geordi have moved on?

After Indistinguishable from Magic do you think Geordi should have requested his own command? He entered Star Fleet as a command officer so he obviously wanted to go that route at one time?

Going back to engineering seems like a step backwards?
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:42 PM   #2
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Should Geordi have moved on?

YES YES YES he should have. He should have stayed captain of the USS Challenger and become a cameo character, popping up every now and then with his crew.
Old September 21 2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

He really should be a Captain by now.

It would be another novel spin-off series.
Old September 21 2012, 07:08 PM   #4
snakespeare
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to snakespeare

Yes, and re-boot SCE.
snakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
WarsTrek1993
Captain

I've never read IFM-but I have to wonder why Geordi was demoted?

I mean, Spock still remained a captain even when Kirk commanded the E-A. Why can't Geordi still be captain while working as the E's engineer?
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I guess we'll find out what's going on with La Forge in The Cold Equations; I'm sure the reasons for his "setback" will be explored there. That said, I would have liked it if he'd kept the Challenger at the end of IFM. I like big changes, and I'm a little disappointed that he ended up back on the Enterprise.

I'm hoping he'll end the new trilogy as something new; we'll have to wait and see, won't we?
Old September 21 2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

It does seem to be a problem, having the same characters staying with a ship for decades and not letting them advance further. Look at the TOS crew, you would have thought that after at least three decades of service the likes of Uhura and Chekov would have been given their own commands as well.

I know that the Enterprise is always going to be a sought after posting, but it should be a rung on someones career ladder to help them get higher faster, not a plateau where they dwell for years before finally moving on.

In TNG, when they were having difficulty with developing/doing anything more with Riker, they had an automatic out with him. Give him his own ship, that way he can return for the odd guest appearance without killing him off.
Old September 21 2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Mage
Commodore

Well, I am glad that, after choosing to remain on Enterprise, he decided to step back to commander. It felt weird, two captains. I know, it was done in the TOS movie, but I didn't really like it.

That being said, I'd love to have Geordi in command of his own SCE ship!!!!!!
Old September 21 2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
It does seem to be a problem, having the same characters staying with a ship for decades and not letting them advance further. Look at the TOS crew, you would have thought that after at least three decades of service the likes of Uhura and Chekov would have been given their own commands as well.
Well, it's not realistic to expect starship command to be the end goal of every officer's career path. A military hierarchy is basically pyramidal; the higher the rank, the fewer positions there are available. (After all, a starship has hundreds of crewmembers, sometimes more than a thousand, but only one captain.) So only a small percentage of people in the service, probably less than one percent, would reach command rank; the rest would just keep on serving at a lower rank until they retired. And by the same token, presumably, not every career path has command as its end goal. There's evidence that the command track is a specialized career path within Starfleet, one you have to choose to pursue in order to become eligible for a command post.

(Although the novels haven't done much to dispel this misconception that every officer reaches command rank eventually, since they've established both Uhura and Chekov as admirals in the 24th century, meaning that all of the big 7 have reached at least captain's rank. Which is just as unrealistic as having them all serve together on the same ship for over a quarter-century.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Lonemagpie
Writer

Mage wrote: View Post
Well, I am glad that, after choosing to remain on Enterprise, he decided to step back to commander. It felt weird, two captains. I know, it was done in the TOS movie,
With more than one character - Captain Spock, and Captain Scott, Captain of Engineering.

That being said, I'd love to have Geordi in command of his own SCE ship!!!!!!
Would be cool. But enough of the TNG crew have split off already.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 01:13 AM   #11
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
There's evidence that the command track is a specialized career path within Starfleet, one you have to choose to pursue in order to become eligible for a command post.
There's also evidence, in terms of Dr. McCoy and the medical field anyway, you can still be a command officer, but not have been in command of any starship. So I don't see why La Forge couldn't have been a Captain of Engineering, and not been forced into the command chair.

But I recall that LaForge's demotion in rank was mentioned in Plagues Of Night as being a personal choice instead of being demoted for punishment, since I remember that he mentioned that Starfleet wanted to give him command of a ship because he was at Captain rank and Starfleet felt that, with its recent losses to the Borg, they shouldn't have anymore than one Captain aboard a ship, and that Geordi would be of better use on another ship.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Perhaps Starfleet cannot afford officiers of the rank of Captain and qualified not to command a vessel?
Would it really be a good fit for Geordi to command an SCE ship but not be the head of the SCE team?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 09:32 PM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

LaForge was my favorite TNG character from day one and while I would love for him to be a captain and get his own ship, I also think that I'd probably see less of him if that happened. I just don't see Pocket doing a new book series with LaForge as captain, so he'd probably be reduced to occasional brief cameos (if not just brief mentions in passing) in other books. I'd rather him be a continually stronger presence in the TNG books as the Enterprise's new second officer.
Old September 22 2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Sho
Fleet Captain

I really like the idea of rebooting SCE with LaForge involvement ..
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 11:54 PM   #15
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Perhaps Starfleet cannot afford officiers of the rank of Captain and qualified not to command a vessel?
But why?

A Captain doesn't need to command a starship, just as a starship commander doesn't need to be a Captain. Sure, it seems to be the most regular of protocols, for a person to take command of a ship as a Captain, but that's not to say that many officers who are ranked as Captain, don't spend a long period working at non-starship command assignments.

I don't see why Starfleet would hold off promoting somebody to Captain, just because they might decide not to pursue starship command, or there wasn't a suitable ship available (surely a person's experiences and skills dictates the kind of vessel they command? It would be illogical for an officer, whose experience lies in the field of battle tactics, starship combat and defensive manuevers to be given command of a science ship).

At the same time, why promote somebody to Captain, just because they happen to command a starship. Dax was acting Captain of the Defiant, whilst still a Lt. Commander. Matt Decker captained the Constellation, whilst ranked as a Commodore. Let's not forget that Sisko, first received command of the Defiant, whilst ranked as a Commander.

It all comes down to the fact that many instances in Trek, (live action, in particular) have stressed that a person must be a Captain to command a strarship.

I'd rather that Star Trek mirrored real-world military sometimes. In the sense that in real-world military, rank is greatly determined by years of service. You'd be hard pushed to find a traditionally promoted General (not some dictator who has bestowed the title upon themselves) that is under the age of 45. A person can be given command of their own units, vehicles and entire squadrons sometimes, regardless of rank. It all depends on competence, and their suitability for the role. That's how it should be in Star Trek, rather than people being elevated to Captain in their late 20's, (Ezri) because they happen to command a starship.

ETA: I also never liked the idea that Kirk couldn't command the Enterprise, because he had accepted promotion to Admiral. The promotion in rank, shouldn't mean having to accept a desk job, rather the "desk job" should be seen as a job that only an Admiral (or member of Starfleet Command) could take on. In this scenario, Kirk could have simply declined the promotion to Chief of Operations and carried on serving as commander of the Enterprise.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote