Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you rate Dredd?
Excellent 40 50.00%
Good 31 38.75%
Average 4 5.00%
A bit poor 3 3.75%
Awful 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 21 2012, 02:51 PM   #46
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

You wouldn't be missing anything. Although it was filmed in 3d and enhanced post for the slow-mo scenes, you won't actually miss out on anything if you can find it on 2d.
Old September 21 2012, 04:59 PM   #47
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Don't they also play with the framing of the shots? In one of the trailers, blood splattered into the black frame outside the image, it's probably supposed to "come right at you" in the cinema. But in 2D, on a TV screen, that looks funny.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 09:08 PM   #48
JudgeDredd
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just got home from seeing it. Sadly, I was one of only four people in theaters. I loved it. I was the only one to laugh out loud at Dredd's one-liners, but I don't think some people get the character. I thought the movie was a great, fun ride, though I feel I wasted my money with regards to the 3D. I really hope this movie manages to do well so that at least one sequel gets made. Urban was awesome (LOVED his line at the end..."Yeah.") and Thirlby was great at acting and extremely cute. I will definitely go see it at least one more time in theaters and it's a BODOR for me (Buy On Day Of Release)
JudgeDredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 09:12 PM   #49
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Avatar? Up? Ice Age 3? Drive Angry? Shark Night? Three Musketeers? Amazing Spiderman? Prometheus? Katari Veera Surasundarangi? Sex and Zen?
Only saw Spidey from that lot. And it wasn't very good. Saw a few in 2D though.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 11:19 PM   #50
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I thought it was great fun. Couldn't believe how violent it was - this was no Rob Schneider co-starrer, that's for sure. I thought Urban totally nailed the character and I loved the grimy lived-in look of MC1 and the uniforms and hardware. I didn't miss the flying bikes at all.

I'll probably go again, as I'd arranged to go with one mate, who couldn't make it last night and then I went spur-of-the-moment with another friend. I saw a 2D showing today, so I'll try to get to a 3D next time.
Old September 21 2012, 11:26 PM   #51
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Are they going to do Judge Death for the next film?
Old September 22 2012, 12:28 AM   #52
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^He's certainly been mentioned as a possibility but I don't think they'll decide one way or the other until they know they even have a second film. Personally I'd prefer they hold off on Judge Death until at least the second sequel. The next one need to give us a wider perspective of The Meg, it's denizens and the Justice Department before they attempt anything that outlandish.

Something along the lines of 'America' might be a good way to go. It'd be a good fit if they intend to do something like 'Necropolis' after that as the second one can end with Dredd taking the long walk. Leaving a tidy set-up for the 'Tale of a Dead Man' lead-in for the third film.

Or they could just avoid the epics altogether and stick with the simpler day-to-day story model. There's certainly abundant material for either approach.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 01:27 AM   #53
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I thought I read an interview with Alex Garland where he said he'd like to introduce Judge Death, butIIRC, he said in the third movie (if it got that far).
Old September 22 2012, 03:32 AM   #54
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I read on either IGN or one of the comic book sites I go to that he wants to do stuff with the desert outside of the city and deal with Dredd's origin in the second movie, and then he'd do Judge Death in the third.
Old September 22 2012, 05:05 AM   #55
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Really good film. Urban was a terrific Dredd and definitely pulls off the role convincingly with the helmet on the entire time. Headley was a scary chick in this film. Thrilby was good too. I'm impressed how they managed to keep the story uncomplicated.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 07:28 AM   #56
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Fantastic flick. I enjoyed every minute of it. From the few comics I read in the early 90s, Urban nailed the attitude and voice of Dredd I had imagined.

Thirlby was great. I liked how they handled her character and what she could do. It was simultaneously unique and so obviously the way to go with it in hindsight. Very pretty girl, too. I don't think I've seen her in anything else, but I'd certainly follow her now.

Headey was awesome as MaMa. I'm rewatching The Sarah Connor Chronicles at the moment and it was a huge disconnect to see her as the thoroughly evil, bloodthirsty villain.

The action was gloriously violent and bloody, which was a huge surprise as I'd expected another PG-13 neutering.

I was so happy the story was just a day on the job, instead of another grimdark sci-fi the world will end if we don't shoot all these people by the final reel plots. I really hope they make more of these and each one follows the same day on the job feel. I love the Die Hard movies, but the first, more personal plot is still the best. The increasing threats of the sequels were not what made those films good.

A

Will definitely see again soon with friends and buy it on release.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 05:43 PM   #57
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Damn - didn't do well at US box office - hopefully the international box-office means we get a sequel.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 06:08 PM   #58
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I truly doubt there will be a sequel, nevermind a third movie with how it did on Friday.
Old September 22 2012, 06:12 PM   #59
Jax
Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Damn - didn't do well at US box office - hopefully the international box-office means we get a sequel.
The 18 cert will hurt it no doubt and TBH I don't get 18 certs compared to you can see at 15. Looks like $10 million opening weekend but hopefully WOM will push it up and overseas will help overcome the $50 million budget minus marketing (Also marketing for the film has been poor IMO).

The film warrants a sequel from a creative standpoint.
Old September 22 2012, 08:43 PM   #60
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I really liked this film. It was very gritty, very R-rated. The cast all did great jobs. I do hope it does well box office wise in the long run. It deserves too.

My only issue was when Wood Harris's character captures Anderson with her own gun. I couldn't see it, but was he holding her finger to the trigger? If not, there was no way he could've shot her. I was also wondering if maybe she allowed herself to be captured so that she could get on the inside.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote