Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 30 2012, 07:27 AM   #16
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Spider-Men

i look forward to the trade.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Second issue came out yesterday, just finished reading it...and I thought it was ridiculously awesome! I marked out big time to Peter meeting Ultimate Fury, the banter between Peter and Miles during their fight was awesome. Sara's art is just astonishing. Using Ultimate Mysterio as the villain in this was a very interesting decision. I think this is living up to the hype so far.
#2 came out yesterday? Must have overlooked it.
Old June 30 2012, 11:04 PM   #18
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

^ It came out on the 27th, and it was indeed a damn good issue (and I'm not generally fond of most of Bendis's mainstream superhero work). After this one issue, I'm now interested in looking at Ultimate Spider-Man again for the first time in years.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 04:00 AM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

It's so funny to read Bendis talking about wanting people to get bang for their buck with his comics, when they're so ridiculously spread out story wise. 1 and 2 really should have been a single issue. And the New Avengers Iron First / Phoenix thing is just taking forever as well.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 04:30 AM   #20
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I actually disagree with you Mr. Light, the story has been pretty well spaced out for once in this case. Peter being sent and arriving in the Ultimate universe and then meeting Miles at the end in issue one, then Peter and Miles confronting each other and having a little fight and then meeting Ultimate Fury in issue two was perfect pacing for once from Bendis. This has been pretty tight IMO. This is nothing like his usual 616 work. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is similarly paced.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2012, 01:06 PM   #21
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm finding Ult SPM to be extremely spaced out as well

Old July 12 2012, 10:20 AM   #22
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Spider-Men #3: I'm absolutely loving this book. Say what you will about Bendis' pacing style, but this has been terrific. I really wish he would write 616 Peter the way he has been in this book in 616. Sara's art is simply beautiful...and that ending...I knew it was coming, but still...I got emotional. The reaction from May and Gwen...man. I can't wait for next month's issue.

Old August 9 2012, 02:06 PM   #23
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

No one read last issue? I find that hard to believe. Anyway:

Spider-Men #4: This series continues to get better. Easily Bendis's best Marvel work in quite a long time. This consists mainly of conversations between Peter and his family as they react to their being a grown up Peter Parker. Meanwhile Fury and Stark attempt to locate Mysterio. This was a pretty emotional issue...especially the scene where Ultimate Mary Jane sees Peter just as he is leaving with Fury. It's a poignant scene. The beautiful artwork. I can't praise Sara's artwork enough. This has by far lived up to the hype, and the finale should be fascinating indeed.

Old August 9 2012, 03:39 PM   #24
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I read it but forgot there was a separate thread for the mini, so I posted a few thoughts in the ongoing Marvel thread.

Copied from there:

Spider-Men
#4 consisted almost entirely of conversations between Peter, Gwen, Miles, and May - and it was the best issue of the miniseries so far. The bit where May accepted that it really was a Peter was particularly well-done, and fairly low-key too. Watching Miles play with Ultimate Peter's web-shooters was amusing, and has me looking forward to seeing if those are the ones he'll be using in the near future in his own title*.

(* If he has already started using web-shooters, then I haven't gotten to those issues yet - I think the last issue I've read so far was #10.)
Old August 9 2012, 03:39 PM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I've been enjoying both Ultimate Spider-man and Spider-men. Bendis may not be the most action-oriented writer out there at times, but I love his character moments and I think both books are more character-driven than anything else. Bendis does use visuals as much as dialogue to tell a story, so there are times in which things are conveyed solely through the looks and gestures of the characters, IMO.
Old August 9 2012, 05:21 PM   #26
Mr Light
Admiral

Normally I would decry an issue with no action, but this was very well done. Great premise of the family meeting a doppleganger of their dead Peter because it's not just an alternate reality or a clone it's the REAL Peter!

Old August 14 2012, 03:17 AM   #27
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

This latest issue was damn good. It was a good "down issue" given there was little to no action and more "drama." Interesting to me, as I don't follow Marvel let alone Ultimates Marvel, that the "Spider-Man and Wolverine switch bodies" incident still has "really happened" given some of the... "oddities" in that issue(s). (Which I have.)

Isn't Gwen Stacy dead in the main Spider-man line? Or is this Spider-Man from a different "universe" than the one Gwen is dead in? Or has Gwen been retconned/magiked back to life?

Or was Peter just being really good at making it sound like she was still around in his universe when talking to Ultimate Gwen?
Old August 14 2012, 03:44 AM   #28
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

No, it is the "real" Peter from the 616 Universe. That's the entire point behind the crossover, after all. He simply talked around his Gwen's death to avoid upsetting Ultimate Gwen.
Old August 14 2012, 04:44 AM   #29
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah all you had to do was look at the expression on Peter's face to know that he didn't want to be having that conversion with her.

Gwen almost was brought back to life along with Harry during Brand New Day, but Marvel eventually abandoned that plan.

I still maintain, this along with Ultimate Comics Spider-Man are among Bendis' best Marvel work's right now. He's nailing both out of the ball park.

Old September 22 2012, 07:42 PM   #30
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Spider-Men #5...the conclusion was just as great as the beginning. This entire series lived up to the hype surrounding the book IMO. Probably ranks in my opinion among one of the best works that Bendis has ever done. He has finally shown that when he wants to that he can write 616 Spider-Man without merely being comedic fodder. I wish he would do this in his other books. The art is incredible, and the ending...I wonder what Peter saw about 616 Miles? It very much would seem like we will eventually get a follow up to this book at some point.