Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 20 2012, 01:28 PM   #16
Brit
Captain

Re: Q&A with Kirsten Beyer!

teacake wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
At what point was it decided to resurrect Admiral Janeway? Did the online petitions have any impact in the decision at all?
I'd think she HAS to answer no to this one, even if it did have an impact. Otherwise, she loses control of things, it's shown that you can influence her process, and it becomes a series written by committee. Plus, she said in the afterward that she wanted to make it clear that she WASN'T influenced by it....
Do we even know if such a big change is her choice to make?
Especially since we know it was not an author decision to kill Janeway in the first place. But I also agree, Kirsten Beyer has to answer no to the question.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:49 PM   #17
Scout101
Admiral

Might be an interesting road to go down, though. Was the decision to bring her back Kristen's, or editorial?

Assume Kristen had pretty complete control of the HOW in the story, but was the Bring Back Janeway directive given to her, or did she pitch the idea of doing it (and the how), by laying out where she wanted to take things from there.

Puts an interesting light on the subject, knowing whether it was her idea and this is the way she'd prefer the storyline to go, or if it was handed down to her, and this is the spin she decided to put on the story given that direction.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 01:59 AM   #18
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Puts an interesting light on the subject, knowing whether it was her idea and this is the way she'd prefer the storyline to go, or if it was handed down to her, and this is the spin she decided to put on the story given that direction.
Would be interesting to see who made the initial call, since I recall that Peter David mentioned shortly after Before Dishonor came out that the publisher had told him to put that little bit with the female Q and Janeway at the end so that if CBS or Paramount ever wanted too reuse the character in the future, CBS would just have to tell Simon & Schuster "Hey, we need you to bring back Janeway because Paramount's going to be using her in the upcoming movie."

I wonder if JJ Abrams might have a scene with Janeway and a few others talking about what occurred to Prime Spock in the new Star Trek movie, and they wanted to make sure that Janeway was back.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 02:12 AM   #19
Christopher
Writer

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
I wonder if JJ Abrams might have a scene with Janeway and a few others talking about what occurred to Prime Spock in the new Star Trek movie, and they wanted to make sure that Janeway was back.
Of course not. That doesn't make any sense for a variety of reasons, paramount among them (no pun intended) that the movies have always been free to just ignore what was happening in the novels. The novels are read by such a tiny fraction of the moviegoing audience -- 1 to 2 percent -- that it really wouldn't matter what the novels did.

There's also the fact that the whole point of creating the alternate timeline in the first movie was so that they could tell stories in a new continuity that was unburdened by ties to the old one. Now that they've established that universe, their goal is to make it stand on its own, to move forward independently of what came before. These guys aren't going to keep the training wheels on and keep clinging to the old continuity. Naturally they're going to focus on their own creation, their own version of the universe.

And of course there's the most conclusive disproof: The movie's been done filming for months, and a pretty full cast list is known even if many of the character names aren't. If any major Trek actors from past series had been cast in the film, we would've known about it long ago.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 05:17 PM   #20
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

Wonder if it's to late to submit questions but: When writing The Eternal Tide, did you have to go back and read you're previous work or was all this planned outalongside the others?
Old September 26 2012, 06:06 AM   #21
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, but half of these 'questions' demonstrate how completely ignorant some people still are even after the numerous explanations Christopher and other authors have offered as to how, by and large, the general Trek Lit writing process actually works.

Here's a legitimate question for her: did anything change between the initial conception of TET and the final draft(s) of the story?
Old September 26 2012, 03:30 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but half of these 'questions' demonstrate how completely ignorant some people still are even after the numerous explanations Christopher and other authors have offered as to how, by and large, the general Trek Lit writing process actually works.
Well, that's not fair. Remember, this Q&A is not intended for this BBS, but for a podcast interview. Most of the audience for that interview probably hasn't read this board and hasn't already had those questions answered. So it's perfectly valid to suggest that Kirsten address those questions in her interview, for the benefit of the listening audience.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 08:18 PM   #23
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Maybe I went too far by demeaning the questions, and I apologize. It just felt like they were geared towards things that have already been covered ad nauseum.
Old September 27 2012, 04:03 AM   #24
KQuita
Lieutenant

Are plans in motion for the follow up to The Eternal Tide, I just finished it and can't wait for the follow up?
KQuita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 05:24 AM   #25
Declan J Greene
Cadet

The feedback from you guys has been great! Really wonderful! We're just finalizing the dates with the very generous Miss Beyer and hopefully have your questions answered soon. Truly this community is awesome and i'm grateful to have discovered it.

In the meantime you can read our Priority One Review of 'The Eternal Tide' here http://priorityonepodcast.com/wordpr...-eternal-tide/

which features a brief Q&A about the book. A teaser if you will,

Thanks again guys! Legends!
Declan J Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 08:08 AM   #26
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I am really curious how she will answer mine.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote