Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 21 2012, 01:09 AM   #31
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: TNG Characters in the JJ-Verse

Only if there is a compelling story to tell with such a character. The current producers should certainly not feel any obligation to include such a character.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 02:22 AM   #32
los2188
Commander

Maybe it's just me, but I kind of get the feeling that the current Trek writers and producers have very little interest in TNG Trek saga. I just hate to see TNG seem almost buried to some degree. I know, I know...the TNG era doesn't fit in this era. I love what they're doing with Trek now, but I'm also loyal to TNG....like I was to TOS....for me...it'll all blend together in time. Just thought it would be neat to see a TNG presence in one of the movies one day......to see TNG thru JJ's eyes.
Old September 21 2012, 02:24 AM   #33
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I'm waiting for Janeway to crash through a space time thingie and wow NuKirk.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 06:15 AM   #34
robau
Lieutenant Commander

I can just imagine her facepalming in front of a confused Enterprise bridge crew and saying "this is why I hate this space-time crap".
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 10:25 AM   #35
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

Set Harth wrote: View Post
If said TNG character is immortal by human standards and thus should presumably have been around in the Abrams filmverse timeframe, then it would be appropriate.
Guinan! And she would probably know that there is something wrong with this timeline.
Old September 21 2012, 01:30 PM   #36
Mars
Captain

Desert Kris wrote: View Post
los2188 wrote: View Post
I was just curious...who and how would you bring a TNG character into the JJ-verse Trek for a one time cameo or role.
I emphatically wouldn't. I can't remotely fathom what the appeal would be. TNG forged it's own creative direction, with so very few references to Trek's history. I would save all the characters for if/when they jumped forward in Trek's chronology to make Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Movie.

It's stupid, I know but I'm trying my best to see how we could get a TNG character in new Trek outside of playing someone's distant relative, i.e. Colonel Worf.
I have a great deal of difficulty understanding the appeal of this. Why do it? I ran away from the novels when they went crossover-crazy years back. Pass the torch, pass the torch, I'm sick of the damn torch. F*** the torches and the crossovers! What's the appeal?! Obviously it requires formidable logic-hoops to jump through, without even sorting out how the character would interact in a time and place and with characters where they don't belong. Why is this in any way desirable?
Dax exists in the JJ Abrams Universe, a character simply has to be old enough to live in both centuries, they could bring Dax into a movie and have another actor play him or her very easily.

Guinan could also make an appearance since she also lived in the 19th century.

Q could certainly make a show, they might get a different actor to play him, but no matter.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:52 PM   #37
Ryan8bit
Commodore

It's not less deterministic.
It is.

The fact that the same crew got together on the same ship with the same command structure despite all the changes in the timeline shows the Bad Robot method of time travel. They believe that certain things are fated to happen, regardless of if it makes sense. They even said that time tries to repair itself, which is basically mumbo jumbo for fate, not determinism.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 04:33 PM   #38
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Considering that Kirk and co. save the galaxy a few times, the universe can perhaps be forgiven for nudging them together after things went wonky in 2233.
Old September 21 2012, 04:39 PM   #39
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
If said TNG character is immortal by human standards and thus should presumably have been around in the Abrams filmverse timeframe, then it would be appropriate.
Guinan! And she would probably know that there is something wrong with this timeline.
Since it's a parallel timeline that exists beside the "original" one, probably not. Especially if her "time sense" is related to the Nexus, which she hasn't encountered yet in the ST09 timeline.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:46 PM   #40
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Since it's a parallel timeline that exists beside the "original" one, probably not. Especially if her "time sense" is related to the Nexus, which she hasn't encountered yet in the ST09 timeline.
Who is to say that the alternate timeline from Yesterday's Enterprise is not a parallel timeline as well?

About her "time sense" ... it has never been explained how she got it. Could be related to the Nexus, or could be some El Aurian thing.
Old September 21 2012, 07:49 PM   #41
Delsaber
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm waiting for Janeway to crash through a space time thingie and wow NuKirk.
Immediate promotion to Admiral.
Old September 21 2012, 10:06 PM   #42
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
It's not less deterministic.
It is.

The fact that the same crew got together on the same ship with the same command structure despite all the changes in the timeline shows the Bad Robot method of time travel. They believe that certain things are fated to happen, regardless of if it makes sense. They even said that time tries to repair itself, which is basically mumbo jumbo for fate, not determinism.
But that's not Bad Robot's method of time travel. That is what happens after the time travel. The method of time travel is branching or "multiverse theory", whatever you want to call it. The branching model is not less deterministic than the single-timeline model. And as far as the "time tries to repair itself" concept, didn't that get stated somewhere in quantum-mechanical terms rather than "fate" terms?
Old September 21 2012, 10:24 PM   #43
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
The fact that the same crew got together on the same ship with the same command structure despite all the changes in the timeline shows the Bad Robot method of time travel. They believe that certain things are fated to happen, regardless of if it makes sense.
Just like every parallel universe story Trek as ever done.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 10:27 PM   #44
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Who is to say that the alternate timeline from Yesterday's Enterprise is not a parallel timeline as well?

About her "time sense" ... it has never been explained how she got it. Could be related to the Nexus, or could be some El Aurian thing.
Guinan seemed to think it was a timeline gone wrong not a parallel.

Since we've only actually seen three El Aurians its hard to say, but only Guinan seems to have the "timesense".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 10:34 PM   #45
Maple Dog
Lieutenant Commander

Guinan seemed to think it was a timeline gone wrong not a parallel.

Since we've only actually seen three El Aurians its hard to say, but only Guinan seems to have the "timesense".
Could be a timeline gone wrong,or like for ST 2009,a parallel timeline/universe created by the arrival of something/someone from the future "Tasha Yar" and a few things from the E-D.