RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 441
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 21 2012, 11:07 AM   #16
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile
Re: Are there too many "convenient" planets or scenarios to beam down

To some people, like myself, the details matter.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral

I'm curious as for what you mean by details. Specifically, what sort of astronomical detail do you think the landscape on the previous page is missing?

Throwaway dialogue lines? "Look at the size of that moon, Spock!"

Plot-relevant musings? "Captain, it is the tidal forces caused by that satellite that make this world uniquely capable of creating ryetalin in its upper crust."

Graphics?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:45 PM   #18
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

For that image? What's up with the moon and why is it so close? Is it inhabited and indeed, does its proximity effect the planet in some way beyond simple tidal forces? What's with the low cloud cover? Is the atmosphere unusually thin? Are those lakes of water, or so sort other liquid? If it's not water, is it dangerous to go swimming? Is it even liquid, it could be frozen from the looks of it. Why do things looks sort of hazy? What's up with those blue/purple bushes? If that is the local star to the left of the moon, is it flashing or pulsing for some reason and if so why? Why is the sky that color? Why is there no vegetation, other than those blue bushes and what appears to be grass? There are no trees or any other kind of plants anywhere. Are there any animals in the vicinity? Spock, have we been here before? This matte painting looks like the planet we visited a few weeks ago.

I'm kidding, sort of. More specifically though, I was referring to the previously comment about stumbling upon a planet that appeared to have no moons and orbit no star. Sure, they can get away with not explaining why the planet appears to exist on it's own, but some comment about other planetary bodies in the system and the star they're orbiting isn't too much to ask for.

It only takes a moment to include a throwaway line about the rest of the star system. And my point was that if you're going to go to the trouble of doing something, than why not go just a bit further and get the details right. Or at the very least include some details that sound right, even if you make them up. The existence of the Tech Manual suggest there are plenty of people who care about such details, even if they never make it into the show or add any great depth to the story.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:56 PM   #19
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
The thing that always irritated me about the planets that the crew stumbled across mostly seem to just be there. They're rarely mentioned as having their own Sun, or being part of a solar system, or even having any moons. Same with asteroids they just stumble over.

I'm not saying there are never rogue planets, asteroids, and comets roaming the galaxy; it's just that the Enterprise ran across a helluva lot of them.
Examples? I think most of the planets were implied to be in solar systems with suns and other planets in them. Do we really need dialogue like "Mr. Chekov, plot a course to Quadrant 1, Sector 294, Gamma Triangula System, Planet IV. Oh and when we arrive make sure the sun is visible on the viewscreen. I like a good sun shot when entering orbit."
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 06:03 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Jimi_James wrote: View Post
For that image? What's up with the moon and why is it so close? Is it inhabited and indeed, does its proximity effect the planet in some way beyond simple tidal forces? What's with the low cloud cover? Is the atmosphere unusually thin? Are those lakes of water, or so sort other liquid? If it's not water, is it dangerous to go swimming? Is it even liquid, it could be frozen from the looks of it. Why do things looks sort of hazy? What's up with those blue/purple bushes? If that is the local star to the left of the moon, is it flashing or pulsing for some reason and if so why? Why is the sky that color? Why is there no vegetation, other than those blue bushes and what appears to be grass? There are no trees or any other kind of plants anywhere. Are there any animals in the vicinity? Spock, have we been here before? This matte painting looks like the planet we visited a few weeks ago.

But none of that is really important to the scene at hand and would feel unnatural.
Old September 21 2012, 06:31 PM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

If the landing party is walking around in sunlight, that would imply a sun. No?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:08 PM   #22
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
If the landing party is walking around in sunlight, that would imply a sun. No?

Or a big torch off camera
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:15 PM   #23
Grant
Fleet Captain

Janus 4 (the Horta planet) seemed lifeless on the surface and required generators to provide air beneath. Right?

To take one of the most iconic shots in Trek lore and nitpick?--I just don't get it.

Human colonies and planets with similar humanoids would require a sun and breathable air, similar gravity, etc.

I want story not dry exposition for my 50 minutes of entertainment. It's not Forbidden Planet where they have 100 minutes for McCoy to say "wow, look at that purple sky, and that warm sun and that nice clean air." Although he does, sort of, in paradise syndrome.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:24 PM   #24
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

Grant wrote: View Post
Janus 4 (the Horta planet) seemed lifeless on the surface and required generators to provide air beneath. Right?

To take one of the most iconic shots in Trek lore and nitpick?--I just don't get it.

Human colonies and planets with similar humanoids would require a sun and breathable air, similar gravity, etc.

I want story not dry exposition for my 50 minutes of entertainment. It's not Forbidden Planet where they have 100 minutes for McCoy to say "wow, look at that purple sky, and that warm sun and that nice clean air." Although he does, sort of, in paradise syndrome.
As the OP here I think I am being picked up wrongly on this, I`m not nit picking iconic Trek imagery or demanding meaningless and meandering dialogue to explain why theres a certain type of foliage on a certain planet.

I was merely stating that it would have been more challenging for a crew or landing party to encounter a different type of world, one which demanded life support suits or whatever, to give any story another dimension. By using the word "convenient" I was merely saying that its always a sunny terrain, always warm, no need for a jacket eg.
Surely even other Class M worlds would not all be so hospitable weatherwise ?
As for information being given on planets and their Sun which they orbit, I have always believed that info to be in the dialogue.
Surely eg, Eminiar 7 is the seventh planet orbiting the sun Eminiar. surely Talos 4 is the fourth planet in orbit of Talos in the same way as Earth could conceivably be Sol 3 ?
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:32 PM   #25
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Perhaps, in the distant past, the Preservers or others terraformed planets in the Solar neighborhood to be more conducive to huminoid life?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Grant
Fleet Captain

Yes, I agree, it would have been cool to see many types of planets and landscapes/seascapes---it was, as others have stated, purely a money question.

Heck later they even began to really rely on 'paralell planets' with natives wearing on hand wardrobe.

I think we all wanted to see a little more 'outer space' in our outer space show!
Old September 21 2012, 07:41 PM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

Remember ST is a TV show and it has to be produced to a budget, as for it always being sunny, isn't that more a case of were the show was filmed.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:58 PM   #28
Grant
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Remember ST is a TV show and it has to be produced to a budget, as for it always being sunny, isn't that more a case of were the show was filmed.
Was there even one episode of TOS where it rained--on Earth or an alien world?
Old September 21 2012, 08:05 PM   #29
Mr_Homn
Captain

Grant wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Was there even one episode of TOS where it rained--on Earth or an alien world?
Not that I can think of, off hand. Los Angeles is generally a dry region. Of course that doesn't mean they couldn't have simulated rain on the soundstage, but then it would probably mess up Spock's eyeshadow and Kirk's "Hair"!

Plenty of myst and wind, though.

I can scarcely think of many episodes where it Rained in TNG or DS9, either. It happened, but It wasn't all that common even in later trek.
Old September 21 2012, 08:07 PM   #30
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

KIRK: I should have brought a jacket!

SULU:Yeah, everything is fine here. Loving the weather

MCCOY: I thought the report said warm and sunny!!!!???
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote