TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old September 19 2012, 08:34 PM   #31
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Has the Blood & Chrome miniseries aired yet?

Mars wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Vampire shows are cheap, "blah blah blah, I vant to suck your blood!"

Battlestar Galactica was a greater success than the original, and they actually ended the show proper rather than just go into a rerun loop as the original did in the 1970s.

You don't get to see many space operas these days, mostly its shows about modern time investigators running into weird stuff, or some demons or vampires. SyFy is living in the shadow of its former self, if it goes with the cheap and the safe people wonder why it doesn't do shows like Battlestar Galactica anymore.
NuBSG wasn't really more successful than the original. The original got decent ratings, but, was too expensive, so it was cancelled. SyFy kept renewing NuBSG at a loss, for the prestige, because it was a critic darling. If not for the Prestige of Critical praise, NuBSG wouldn't have lasted any longer than TOS BSG, because it was too expensive for the ratings it brought in.

I am definitely happy that NuBSG was allowed to finish it's story, but, that's to SyFy's credit for sticking with it so long, despite it being a loser financially
Cause it didn't have "planet of the week" episodes with humanoid aliens with bumps on their heads? BSG was more intelligent with less rubber science than most typical space operas.
I'm not arguing the quality NuBSG absolutely was art, and deserved all it's critical priase. But, that doesn't make it financially successful. If it's not financially successful, it won't last long, unless, in the case of BSG they were willing to take the loss in order to gain the prestige for keeping the show on the air long enough for it to play out. That kind of backfired on them, though, because despite their loyalty to those fans, they did not get the loyalty back from the fans.

I won't knock TOS BSG, though, because I do have a nostalgic affection for it

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old September 19 2012, 08:35 PM   #32
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Vampire shows are cheap, "blah blah blah, I vant to suck your blood!"

Battlestar Galactica was a greater success than the original, and they actually ended the show proper rather than just go into a rerun loop as the original did in the 1970s.

You don't get to see many space operas these days, mostly its shows about modern time investigators running into weird stuff, or some demons or vampires. SyFy is living in the shadow of its former self, if it goes with the cheap and the safe people wonder why it doesn't do shows like Battlestar Galactica anymore.
SyFy is a business that wants to make money. They do not exist to provide a public service of high quality space opera at a net loss.
Well then tell me, how many sci fi shows has PBS offered? Dr Who? I happen to be a fan of hard science fiction and there are precious few examples of that, one in particular was "Defying Gravity", it is interesting seeing how they write science fiction shows that don't have planet of the week episodes. Mostly Defying Gravity was a soap opera set aboard a spaceship, and only had one planetary landing episode and lots of flashbacks. the walk on Venus was very believable.
There's not much of a market for it, and the public does not want it. (Those mean the same thing, basically.)
Old September 20 2012, 02:18 AM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

If it's not financially successful, it won't last long, unless, in the case of BSG they were willing to take the loss in order to gain the prestige for keeping the show on the air long enough for it to play out.
The ratings certainly declined over the life of the show, but I'd say they were at perfectly fine levels for a basic cable network like SyFy until the second part of the third season (you can see a chart of the series' ratings here).

By that point NBC/Universal (which paid for the series and, importantly, is also the parent company of the SyFy Channel) had already paid for most of the series, and it made financial sense to finish it so that the studio could have a complete product to sell in ancillary markets.

Critical acclaim likely helped with the series renewal, but ancillary markets, not acclaim, was probably the decisive factor in the show receiving a fourth and final season. (The fact that they shot additional footage for the sole purpose of inclusion on home video more and more as the series progressed indicates how important ancillary markets were to NBC/Universal).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 20 2012, 02:34 AM   #34
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

roliver wrote: View Post
Jimi_James wrote: View Post
It's slightly annoying to think that on a shelf somewhere, is the master copy of the completed Blood & Chrome pilot.
And next to it is the master copy to Bear McCreary's score, which needs to get released no matter what.
Indeed. I love McCreay's scores for BSG. They're in heavy rotation on my pc.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Old September 21 2012, 02:08 AM   #35
Mars
Captain

SyFy is a business that wants to make money. They do not exist to provide a public service of high quality space opera at a net loss.
Well then tell me, how many sci fi shows has PBS offered? Dr Who? I happen to be a fan of hard science fiction and there are precious few examples of that, one in particular was "Defying Gravity", it is interesting seeing how they write science fiction shows that don't have planet of the week episodes. Mostly Defying Gravity was a soap opera set aboard a spaceship, and only had one planetary landing episode and lots of flashbacks. the walk on Venus was very believable.
There's not much of a market for it, and the public does not want it. (Those mean the same thing, basically.)
Kind of shows you how much of a science education they got as children. How many people bought into Space 1999 in the 1970s for instance? You know how much science is in that one? Zilch! As a kid who didn't know about such things like the speed of light, momentum and inertia, the show was fun, for a 20 something watching the show, he probably would have had to have had a very bad science education to suspend his disbelief about it. I mean, year and explosion of a nuclear waste dump on the Moon causes it to be hurled out of orbit into "Planet of the Week" adventures. Even Star Trek was harder science fiction than that, the existence of a warp drive at least acknowledges that there is a speed of light barrier to get around, as far as Space 1999 was concerned there was no speed of light limit.
Old September 21 2012, 02:19 AM   #36
Mars
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
If it's not financially successful, it won't last long, unless, in the case of BSG they were willing to take the loss in order to gain the prestige for keeping the show on the air long enough for it to play out.
The ratings certainly declined over the life of the show, but I'd say they were at perfectly fine levels for a basic cable network like SyFy until the second part of the third season (you can see a chart of the series' ratings here).

By that point NBC/Universal (which paid for the series and, importantly, is also the parent company of the SyFy Channel) had already paid for most of the series, and it made financial sense to finish it so that the studio could have a complete product to sell in ancillary markets.

Critical acclaim likely helped with the series renewal, but ancillary markets, not acclaim, was probably the decisive factor in the show receiving a fourth and final season. (The fact that they shot additional footage for the sole purpose of inclusion on home video more and more as the series progressed indicates how important ancillary markets were to NBC/Universal).
I'll have to admit, I didn't watch the show much when it was broadcasted, instead I bought the DVDs for all the shows and Caprica, it is easier to appreciate the individual episodes when they are viewed in order, because the combine to tell a single story. Its hard to enjoy an episode without knowing what went on before, and if you miss an episode, you sort of lose incentive to watch the next one, because seeing the next episode would tend to spoil the plot for the previous episode, that might in part explain the Nielsen ratings decline, the other thing is, it is sometimes hard to tell who the good guys are, you don't know whether your getting the "good Kara" or the "bad Kara" that likes to torturer Cylons. The first big turn off of the show was in the Miniseries when Six decided to kill a baby. I have to be careful when I watch that show because I have children.
Old September 21 2012, 02:28 AM   #37
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

She spared the baby dying in a much worse way shortly after.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 21 2012, 02:34 AM   #38
Mars
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
She spared the baby dying in a much worse way shortly after.
I don't know about that, war is fairly impersonal killing, going up to a baby and snapping its neck is fairly personal. I'll bet there are a lot of people who couldn't do that but had no problems dropping gravity bombs on Dresden in World War II.
Old September 21 2012, 02:37 AM   #39
teacake
Fleet Admiral

You're looking at it from the killer's perspective. From the baby's perspective it could have died quietly in its pram OR it could die in fire and terror with the adults around it screaming.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 21 2012, 02:23 PM   #40
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Her expression upon the baby's neck snapping seemed like one of surprise. Given that the skinjobs didn't have babies at that time, she'd probably never had close contact with one, and didn't realize how fragile they were. I would chalk it up as an accident, just based on how Helfer played it.
Old September 21 2012, 02:33 PM   #41
Mars
Captain

Her expression upon the baby's neck snapping seemed like one of surprise. Given that the skinjobs didn't have babies at that time, she'd probably never had close contact with one, and didn't realize how fragile they were. I would chalk it up as an accident, just based on how Helfer played it.
Naw it wasn't an accident, she meant to do that deliberately, maybe she regretted it afterwards.
Old September 21 2012, 07:41 PM   #42
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

I'm pretty sure that Caprica Six, even post-pregnancy, would do it again if the need arose. Like the rest of the Sixes, and even Head Six, she appears to be something of a solipsist when it comes to human beings who aren't Baltar. At the very least she has an insouciant approach to life and death.
Old September 21 2012, 10:57 PM   #43
teacake
Fleet Admiral

And there's no other reason to be bending a baby's neck, surely? She certainly meant to do it, though she may have had a momentary surprise at how little resistance she got.

This scene is horrible and difficult to watch, but so are the scenes of what happened to the 6 in Razor.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 22 2012, 12:04 AM   #44
Sky
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
And there's no other reason to be bending a baby's neck, surely? She certainly meant to do it, though she may have had a momentary surprise at how little resistance she got.
That's exactly the impression I got. She did it on purpose, and then was surprised at how easy it was / how it felt to do it.

That reminds me; must watch Razor.. still haven't seen it, or The Plan.
Old September 22 2012, 02:13 AM   #45
Mars
Captain

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure that Caprica Six, even post-pregnancy, would do it again if the need arose. Like the rest of the Sixes, and even Head Six, she appears to be something of a solipsist when it comes to human beings who aren't Baltar. At the very least she has an insouciant approach to life and death.
Head Six was never in his head, Kara Thrace was basically the same thing as Head Six after she got killed and came back, the only difference was that everybody could see her. Also Head Six was not really a Cylon, she thought she was for a time, she was different from Caprica Six.