Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 21 2012, 02:05 AM   #91
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Generations deleted scenes

Is it lirpa time?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 02:17 AM   #92
los2188
Commander

Don't worry. I tried to be nice. I got it off my ample 21 year old female chest. Just for future reference, Grant has the Trek Holy Bible under his TNG vs. Star wars pillow and knows all. Sorry....no more negative comments from me.
Old September 21 2012, 02:20 AM   #93
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

You're just talking about your chest to get the TOS fogeys to be sweet to you. I can see right through that tactic.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 02:23 AM   #94
los2188
Commander

Hey, whatever works! Never mind the picture of me...I'm a 21 year old female.
Old September 21 2012, 03:01 AM   #95
NrobbieC
Commander

StewMc wrote: View Post
For what its worth, the alternate ending on the Generations DVD is sans almost all effects, however there was a version created with completed effects and a temp music track, see here (although the quality is worse than the one presented on the DVD).

We know however that the original version was presented to test audiences (hence the reason it was re-shot), so I suppose it makes sense that the effects were completed for it.
I prefer the version they went with, Soran jumping up at the Nexus is dodgy and then Picard just shoots him randomly. How Kirk dies makes no difference to the ending, the important thing is he did.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 04:51 AM   #96
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

los2188 wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

You do seem to take the thread a bit more seriously than warranted.
I take it seriously but am having a good time debating this stuff. If I say I saw a rough cut of TWOK--you can be damn sure I'm telling the truth, not just blowing smoke or mis-remembering.

I don't have to concede that I believe the OP any more than he has to admit he might be mistaken--which he hasn't. In fact, he bet his 'VERY LIFE' on it!

Now that's taking it serious!
I've tried to keep somewhat quite about this. Grant...you're an idiot. I thought I put this to rest. I know what I saw whether you buy it or not, and I really don't give a damn if you do or not. What pisses me off about you there son, is how rude and accusatory you are. I'm not selling a damn thing for you to buy. There was a point to what I was trying to make with all this son. Going back to the root of what I was talking about, and that's do deleted scenes count as canon given that there are different versions. As I stated earlier that you obviously didn't...or can't read is that I MAY be mistaken for the Data scene. The rest, I'm sure about and this is just for you.....I would bet your life on it son. But you know what Grant....you're right. Put your Vulcan ears back on....throw up the V....put the VISOR back on...you're right. I'm lying about all of this, and me and this other person, not to mention the guy from the UK are all in on it to try and make your life miserable. We want to ruin your Trek experience. We want you to question everything. That picture of me...it's not even me. I'm actually a 21 year old white woman with 5 kids. Grant....son....let it go. I've got a card from a therapist. They specialize in Trek phobias. Let's do a meet and greet. Live long and prosper my friend. The needs of the one, which is my need to go on websites, conspire and deceive all who approach me, outweigh the needs of the many. Take care Grant....all my very best to you.

One more thing...if you can't understand what I'm saying...I always have a little sign language for you...let me know if you need help on figuring out what I mean.
los2188, calling another poster an idiot isn't acceptable. I thought maybe you all would cool your jets and take the friendlies seriously. So it is with regret that I give los2188 an infraction.

Grant, teacake, cool it or find yourselves with infractions.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 09:22 AM   #97
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The moment you lower yourself to name calling you've lost the argument. Even if someone is acting rudely, meeting them on their level isn't the answer.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 05:04 PM   #98
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I was fortunate to see the workprint for ST IV, before the final version premiered in Australian cinemas. Hilarious unfinished FX work!

A lot of people forget that the original prints for ST II, used in the first few weeks of US release, then sent to Australia and other locales for their premiere weeks, deliberately had no "II" on the title card.

The dropped scene with Katherine Blum's little Vulcan girl, telling Spock to "Live long and prosper" in ST III, is a weird one. We saw the film in several sneak previews in Sydney, plus on premiere night. We got to know it pretty well. The girl's name is listed in the credits, but the scene wasn't there. But... a friend was in Perth for opening night. When she got back to Sydney, we were discussing the film and she swore she'd seen that scene. I've never been able to get anyone to corroborate her story.

A brief scene of the Federation President's consort/female aide is in the ST VI trailer, but not in the release print.

As for people misremembering what was in "Generations"... Wasn't some of the (eventually dropped) footage previewed in "Entertainment This Week", the weekly international compile of the US show, "Entertainment Tonight", long before premiere night? I know there was Kirk, Scotty and Chekov stuff that was aired on that show, but not featured in the final movie.

A lot of people don't realise that there were two versions of Kirk's demise in the novelisation. The original hardcover had the scene that received the bad preview reactions (and is in the bonus scenes on the DVD). The paperback version, published many months later, has the final, reshot version shown in the theatrical prints.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 05:53 PM   #99
Grant
Fleet Captain

I've known and believed the TWOK having no "II" in some prints--never knew about the 'vulcan child' appearing in any prints, though.

Finally got to see the TWOK 'workprint' and it included Chekov and Terrell finding the child outside and then inside the cargo carrier!

I thought that scene never existed! LOL
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 06:02 PM   #100
Grant
Fleet Captain

NrobbieC wrote: View Post
StewMc wrote: View Post
For what its worth, the alternate ending on the Generations DVD is sans almost all effects, however there was a version created with completed effects and a temp music track, see here (although the quality is worse than the one presented on the DVD).

We know however that the original version was presented to test audiences (hence the reason it was re-shot), so I suppose it makes sense that the effects were completed for it.
I prefer the version they went with, Soran jumping up at the Nexus is dodgy and then Picard just shoots him randomly. How Kirk dies makes no difference to the ending, the important thing is he did.
Agree, the second ending is slightly better.
Old September 21 2012, 07:06 PM   #101
22 Stars
Commodore

Grant, what does one need to do to have access to view that ST II print? I know much of Nick Meyer's documents are available: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/M...25/MsC425.html

But I was unaware of this print. I used to handle prints for Paramount, including final prints going to the Library of Congress. Yes they have a print of everything.... including Pootie Tang....
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:21 PM   #102
Grant
Fleet Captain

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Grant, what does one need to do to have access to view that ST II print? I know much of Nick Meyer's documents are available: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/M...25/MsC425.html

But I was unaware of this print. I used to handle prints for Paramount, including final prints going to the Library of Congress. Yes they have a print of everything.... including Pootie Tang....
Well, you need to go to California. Make an appt. with the UCLA film and television archive and have an excuse to see it. (Like research, etc.)

I recently visited Ca. and my 2 nephews set it up as a gift for their old foggy uncle Trek fan--me.

I don't think they had to pull too many strings but you cant just walk in and say I'd like to watch some Star Trek.

It was a sublime experience after first reading about the TWOK deleted scenes in the Making of star Trek II book in 1982 and being obsessed ever since.

Another poster on these threads trailblazed this path and made me aware last year of this little-known treasure and I finally got to go out west and see it for myself!
Old September 21 2012, 07:34 PM   #103
22 Stars
Commodore

That's great, thanks. Next time I am out there I will plan on making that happen! Did they transfer it to some other medium or did they screen the 35mm print for you?
Old September 21 2012, 07:46 PM   #104
Grant
Fleet Captain

No, it was on a DVD. I don't know what medium it was originally on. I guess tape or 35mm.

Very cool. It's B & W, no opening credits, it runs from the simulater scene to the exact point where Spock leaves his station (to fix the engines). We assume it ends there to keep the ending secret to whoever might see it back in 1982.

It has no musical score except some very inappropriate stock music layed over the stock FX fottage from TMP as they leave drydock. It has no FX (except as above) at all and most of the V.O. stuff (intercom voices, communicator voices, computer voices) are being read by script persons-male and female.

It does include almost every famous deleted scene that you might know fropm the script (which you can read at Trekcore and other places online).
Including...........

Saavik's Rom heritage scene in full
Kirk trying on the glasses
David bemoaning Starfleets lazziness
the mentioning of Sulu's promotion to captain of Excelsior
the mentioning of Marla by name by Khan
Terrell tricking Beach and Kyle into beaming guests aboard
the mentioning by Kirk that Chekov is serving on Reliant
the original Kirk/David fight that David wins.
the 'Eden cave' dialogue of Saavik/Davids attraction

and YES Chekov/Terrell finding the child outside and then inside the cargo carrier!

and a lot of other stuff.
Old September 21 2012, 08:14 PM   #105
22 Stars
Commodore

Thanks again. I am honestly shocked that since this has been transferred from a rough cut film print to probably tape , now DVD, that it hasn't been leaked out. Copies of things have been leaked from much more secure sources, that's for sure.

I once had a film print stolen from a theater of mine, and the culprit tried to extort money from Paramount for its return! Little did the thief know that all prints can be traced, and that the federal authorities can and do pursue this kind of thing on a regular basis and take it very seriously.