Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 20 2012, 11:16 PM   #16
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

Re: There's no one like Kubrick

Characters we actually care about. Non-cookie-cutter personalities. Suspense in who lives or doesn't. The music and effects in JURASIC PARK were its only assets. It sure as hell wasn't the acting.
BizarroStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 11:43 PM   #17
Creepy Critter
Admiral

The premise of Jurassic Park was intriguing, and you can thank Michael Crichton for that. I hated the parade of Spielberg clichés, such as his "patented" shot of the face of an emotional child, but overall I really enjoyed the film, and I'm very glad it was made.
Old September 20 2012, 11:58 PM   #18
sojourner
Admiral

Spielberg has 3 types of movies. His "sense of wonder" movies like E.T. and Close Encounters. His blockbusters like Indiana Jones and Jaws. And his "serious" films like Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List. Some of his movies fit in more than one of those categories.
Old September 21 2012, 12:05 AM   #19
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Steering the thread back on topic, I think Kubrick is da bomb. (His films still are.)
Old September 21 2012, 01:19 AM   #20
Harvey
Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Robert Wise did historical drama, disaster, musical, horror, thriller, war, science fiction, and crime. I can't think of a comedy off hand.
Briefly perusing his filmography, I don't think he ever did a comedy. Unless you count Star! (heh).

As for Spielberg, I can't say I really care either for Jurassic Park or Schindler's List. One is a rather rote blockbuster elevated by its visual effects, a good cast, and a great John Williams score. The other is shameless Oscar-bait that's filled with sentimentalism and fails to dramatize the most interesting (and least heroic) aspects of Schindler's character. Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind remain as his three best movies. I suppose I like E.T. quite a lot, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:09 AM   #21
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

There are good and bad popcorn movies. JURASSIC PARK and INDIANA JONES IV need lots more work than JAWS or RAIDERS. I prefer SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and MUNICH to even SCHINDLER'S LIST, incidentally. But I don't like Spielberg to be gutless, as when he takes out a kid's death from Crichton's novel despite having freaked us out with Alex Kintner's death in JAWS, or eliminating the guns from his classic E.T. over 20 years later while taking all the drama from the scene just because he claims he thought he made a mistake. He made a mistake by changing it in the first place, so he changed it back after getting scores of millions for the second version of E.T. Are we supposed to believe he's as dumb as George Lucas? Why didn't he remove the guns from SCHINDLER'S LIST or take out the dead girl in the red clothes if he's against children at risk? Pardon the digression. But Kubrick had guts in every movie and was willing to unsettle his audience, including his summer popcorn film FULL METAL JACKET.
Old September 21 2012, 03:20 AM   #22
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
My genre categories may not line up with everyone's, but:

Robert Wise did historical drama, disaster, musical, horror, thriller, war, science fiction, and crime. I can't think of a comedy off hand.

Robert Altman did period drama, contemporary drama, fantasy, comedy, thriller, mystery, science fiction, musical, western and crime.

John Ford did period drama, biopic, current-event drama, documentary, war, romance and of course western. Borderline on comedy and mystery and no real musical but there was so much song and dance in Ford movies that one critic said they felt like long trailers for imaginary musicals.

Justin
Altman is a really good one. Same with Ford.

And I love Kubrick, but I wasn't expecting to like "Barry Lyndon", which I finally saw a couple of months ago, as much as I did.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 04:37 AM   #23
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

as when he takes out a kid's death from Crichton's novel
I read the novel for JP and don't remember Lex or Tim dying
Old September 21 2012, 06:12 AM   #24
sojourner
Admiral

foxhot wrote: View Post
, including his summer popcorn film FULL METAL JACKET.
That. was not. a summer popcorn film.
Old September 21 2012, 07:07 AM   #25
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

He never did anything that would remind you at anything Michael Bay did.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:54 AM   #26
Tom Servo
Commodore

There are good and bad popcorn movies. JURASSIC PARK and INDIANA JONES IV need lots more work than JAWS or RAIDERS. I prefer SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and MUNICH to even SCHINDLER'S LIST, incidentally. But I don't like Spielberg to be gutless, as when he takes out a kid's death from Crichton's novel despite having freaked us out with Alex Kintner's death in JAWS, or eliminating the guns from his classic E.T. over 20 years later while taking all the drama from the scene just because he claims he thought he made a mistake. He made a mistake by changing it in the first place, so he changed it back after getting scores of millions for the second version of E.T. Are we supposed to believe he's as dumb as George Lucas? Why didn't he remove the guns from SCHINDLER'S LIST or take out the dead girl in the red clothes if he's against children at risk? Pardon the digression. But Kubrick had guts in every movie and was willing to unsettle his audience, including his summer popcorn film FULL METAL JACKET.
What kid dies during the novel Jurassic Park? I just re read it, and not one kid does, unless you're counting the baby in a scene with the compys, which would have an unnecessary scene for the film. If you're gonna call out Spielberg for removing something, get your facts straight.

Jurassic Park is a fantastic film, and is the upper level of the big budget summer blockbuster. There is a reason that it is revered as it is today, besides its revolutionary VFX work. If that weren't the case it'd simply be another The Last Starfighter.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 11:29 AM   #27
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Characters we actually care about. Non-cookie-cutter personalities. Suspense in who lives or doesn't. The music and effects in JURASIC PARK were its only assets. It sure as hell wasn't the acting.
But that's not "the story".
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 12:01 PM   #28
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

You and I clearly have different defintions of "popcorn movie." In fact, your definition is completely and utterly alien to the term as used by the vast majority of the world's population. (Hint: "Popcorn movie" != "summer movie" != "critical acclaim" != "blockbuster." Those are all separate terms.)
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 06:17 PM   #29
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

All too true. FULL METAL was a summer movie, and it was the closest thing Kubrick ever got to a popcorn movie....which is to say, not very. Technically, people ate popcorn watching it, but that's not the same thing. But when Lee Ermey cuts loose on his men, those are the film's popcorn moments. I also follow your distinctions.

Tom Servo: What kid dies during the novel Jurassic Park? I just re read it, and not one kid does, unless you're counting the baby in a scene with the compys, which would have an unnecessary scene for the film. If you're gonna call out Spielberg for removing something, get your facts straight.

Jurassic Park is a fantastic film, and is the upper level of the big budget summer blockbuster. There is a reason that it is revered as it is today, besides its revolutionary VFX work. If that weren't the case it'd simply be another The Last Starfighter. ''

Me: Take away the FX work, and what's left? What's the other reason it's revered? It's a massive moneymaker, but so are Adam Sandler and Preparation H. The difference between it, JAWS and RAIDERS is painfully clear. And one kid does die: the baby. Babies are kids. That's a straight fact.

Not that I'm calling for Spielberg to get all bloodthirsty on infants a la the horrible AVP 2 REQUIEM, but for me JP was all predictability by-the-numbers with a third-rate story in comparison to Spielberg's better works. Even those not reading the book could tell who would die and who would not. There's good popcorn movie like RAIDERS and JAWS, because of their stories. Then there's JURASSIC.
Old September 21 2012, 06:49 PM   #30
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

All too true. FULL METAL was a summer movie, and it was the closest thing Kubrick ever got to a popcorn movie
That would be Spartacus.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote