RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,734
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 949
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you rate Dredd?
Excellent 40 50.63%
Good 30 37.97%
Average 4 5.06%
A bit poor 3 3.80%
Awful 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 15 2012, 01:36 PM   #31
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Re: Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

Do you hear Urbans regular voice when Dredd is talking?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 01:49 PM   #32
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

What do you mean? It's not computer enhanced if that's what you mean?
Old September 15 2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Does he sound like Bones or more like Bale Batman?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2012, 02:32 PM   #34
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Well neither of his would be his natural accent. This is how he normally sounds. You can hear his Judge Dredd speaking voice in the trailer.
Old September 15 2012, 10:42 PM   #35
Starkers
Admiral

He sounds like Clint Eastwood...exactly as he should

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 09:10 AM   #36
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I loved it. Urban and Thirlby totally nailed their characters. Here's hoping for a sequel.
Old September 18 2012, 08:01 PM   #37
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I thought it was great, except for the fact that they didn't make Dredd black* like the original character it was pretty much everything you could ask for in a JD film with the budget they had.

* If you don't know, don't ask :-)
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 08:43 PM   #38
Reverend
Rear Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
I loved it. Urban and Thirlby totally nailed their characters. Here's hoping for a sequel.
I think Thirlby's performance is what I'm most curious to see in this film.

I'm by no means an expert in Dredd/2000AD lore, but what stories I have read that feature Anderson have left me with a very ill defined sense of her character. Possibly part of the problem is that like Dredd, she's evolved a lot since her initial appearance and I probably read everything either out of order or missing great chunks of story, to say nothing of the general shift in tone over the years.

Still, I'm left with the impression that the various writers who've written her over the years can't decide between making her a flippant, devil-may-care, almost reckless (yet somehow still heroic) character or a much deeper, more withdrawn character with an ironic wit that is almost Dredd like in it's dryness. This also seems to be reflected in the artwork which seems to swing wildly from a blonde Jessica Rabbit type to something much more demure.

So, out of curiosity, which direction does Thirlby take with the Anderson?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 08:55 PM   #39
inflatabledalek
Captain

She's not really like any prior "on page" version as this is her rookie assessment (presumably by coincidence the Big Finish Dredd audios also started by having Dredd taking a rookie on assignment with him, guess it's an obvious intro to the world). It's easy to see her growing into the more confident and flippant version we first met in the Prog though (presumably they'll be a dedicated Psi Division by the second film as well).
Old September 21 2012, 12:56 AM   #40
JudgeDredd
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know at least one person has commented on the 3D, but I'd like to hear from some more people who've seen the film. The budget's tight right now and my wife (aka, "The Boss") would rather I cut corners wherever I can. So would I be missing out on anything if go the 2D route instead? It's a good four bucks cheaper.
JudgeDredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:20 AM   #41
JudgeDredd
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great interview over at Empire. They were writing/prepping this film two years prior to "The Raid." Hopefully, comparisons that film (which is quite overrated, IMO) won't affect Dredd.

http://www.empireonline.com/intervie...w.asp?IID=1530
JudgeDredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 10:34 AM   #42
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I just came back from the midnight showing. Karl Urban really nailed the character of Judge Dredd, and Olivia Thirlby was both captivating and amazingly hot! I have to agree with IGN that the action sequences weren't completely standout but overall they were quite fun and memorable. Other pluses include great music, badass kills and a cool villain in Lena Headey. I understand they were somewhat limited by their $40 million budget (and it showed, at times) but I hope they get a sequel and an even larger budget soon. Definitely worth seeing!
Old September 21 2012, 11:36 AM   #43
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Star-Hawk wrote: View Post
Great interview over at Empire. They were writing/prepping this film two years prior to "The Raid." Hopefully, comparisons that film (which is quite overrated, IMO) won't affect Dredd.

http://www.empireonline.com/intervie...w.asp?IID=1530
Interestingly, the director of 'The Raid' (who has made his opinion clear) may have actually upped the release of his film when he learned what the plot of Dredd was (scroll to about half way down.) It is unfortunate when two films accidentally step on each others toes like this, but honestly I think it's being more than a little overblown. You can tell just from the trailers that they're both *very* different films.

Indeed, if you look at the old Dredd thread, you'll see me describing the leaked script as 'Die Hard' meets 'Training Day' because the focus of the narrative isn't so much about battling all the way up the bloc as it is about this being a rookie's final make or break assessment. To Dredd it's just another day on the job in Mega City One.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 12:52 PM   #44
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I know at least one person has commented on the 3D, but I'd like to hear from some more people who've seen the film. The budget's tight right now and my wife (aka, "The Boss") would rather I cut corners wherever I can. So would I be missing out on anything if go the 2D route instead? It's a good four bucks cheaper.
It's the first film I've watched that was shot in 3-D and it definitely showed.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 02:12 PM   #45
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
It's the first film I've watched that was shot in 3-D and it definitely showed.
Avatar? Up? Ice Age 3? Drive Angry? Shark Night? Three Musketeers? Amazing Spiderman? Prometheus? Katari Veera Surasundarangi? Sex and Zen?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote