Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 20 2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

Are there too many "convenient" planets or scenarios to beam down to ?

In the Star Trek universe

By this I`m saying, too many Class Ms, virtually 99% of landing parties did so minus Space or Environmental Suits to protect them.

Off the top of my head I can only recall suits being worn in The Naked Time and The Tholian Web (no doubt someone will correct me), and it got me thinking that some situations could have been more interesting with oxygen supplies, or lack of them, as a hindrance.

They did have those mask things, briefly, in The Squire of Gothos I believe.

Just a thought for your discussion.

Tam
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 10:28 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Are there too many "convenient" planets or scenarios to beam down

Well given that there are billions of stars in our galaxy and even if only 1% of those had class M worlds that still leaves millions of class M worlds. Hence little or no need for suits, given that Class M is basically Earth Like.

We don't ofetn see other Class words, the odd Class L and Class Y worlds,
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 10:29 PM   #3
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I thought so too, but some current real-life estimates put an insane ten billion earth-type planets in our galaxy.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...illion-earths/
Old September 20 2012, 10:30 PM   #4
marksound
Fleet Captain

They didn't have a lot of money to work with, so lots of Class M planets. That's why they came up with the transporter too, by the way. Much cheaper than landing a ship every week.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 11:36 PM   #5
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I don't think it was ever confirmed onscreen, but in-universe Kirk had orders to explore and investigate Class M Earth-approximate planets.

So maybe not just convenient that we always saw the Enterprise stumbling across Class M planets. It seems those were the ones the ship was sent to explore. Or something.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

Delta Vega wrote: View Post

By this I`m saying, too many Class Ms, virtually 99% of landing parties did so minus Space or Environmental Suits to protect them.

Off the top of my head I can only recall suits being worn in The Naked Time and The Tholian Web (no doubt someone will correct me), and it got me thinking that some situations could have been more interesting with oxygen supplies, or lack of them, as a hindrance.

Tam
There was the Season 3 episode "Whom Gods Destroy" which took place on planet Elba Two, which was not Class M.

Here are screencaps courtesy of trekcore. It shows 2 criminally insane members wearing environment suits (which were also used in "The Tholian Web") dragging the green Orion woman, Marta, out to her death on the planet's surface (outside the protective domes), per Criminal Leader Garth's instructions. Garth blew her up before she had time to choke to death and he forced Captain Kirk to watch.

Courtesy of website: http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/71.htm
Captain's Log, stardate 5718.3. The Enterprise is orbiting Elba Two, a planet with a poisonous atmosphere where the Federation maintains an asylum for the few remaining incorrigible criminally insane of the galaxy. We are bringing a revolutionary new medicine to them, a medicine with which the Federation hopes to eliminate mental illness for all time. I am transporting down with Mister Spock, and we're delivering the medicine to Doctor Donald Cory, the governor of the colony.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Mr_Homn
Captain

yeah it's not a stretch to imagine that class -m planets would be at the top of the list of planets to explore.. and as it has already been pointed out, they did go to some non m class planets as well
Old September 21 2012, 12:43 AM   #8
kythe
Commander

I have a hard time believing there are that many planets that are "exactly" like Earth. It's one thing to say that a planet has an atmosphere that can support life. It's another thing to say that it's atmosphere has 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen.

In dinosaur times, it is believed that the oxygen concentration on Earth was as much as 30% higher than today. Clearly the Earth was already a planet that could support life, but that doesn't mean we could breathe the air for long without appropriate gas masks. Yet in Star Trek, the air of "M class" planets is always identical to what we breathe.
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 01:11 AM   #9
jayrath
Fleet Captain

Well, I enjoy a TV series where a crew visits planets filled with humanoid life forms a lot better than a show where they visit lifeless gas giants composed primarily of ammonia.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 08:54 AM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

kythe wrote: View Post
I have a hard time believing there are that many planets that are "exactly" like Earth. It's one thing to say that a planet has an atmosphere that can support life. It's another thing to say that it's atmosphere has 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen.

In dinosaur times, it is believed that the oxygen concentration on Earth was as much as 30% higher than today. Clearly the Earth was already a planet that could support life, but that doesn't mean we could breathe the air for long without appropriate gas masks. Yet in Star Trek, the air of "M class" planets is always identical to what we breathe.
So in dinosaur times the Oxygen content would have been around 27%, I'm fairly sure we could breath that. We didn't hear that often the actual make-up of the Atmosphere, so they may not all be "exactly" Earth Like

We've seen Class L worlds:-

ENT: "Bounty"
DSN: "The Ascent"
DSN: "The Sound of Her Voice"
VOY: "Timeless"
VOY: "Muse"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.

Last edited by MacLeod; September 21 2012 at 09:14 AM.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Timo
Admiral

I have a hard time believing there are that many planets that are "exactly" like Earth.
Why settle for less?

I mean, there's no need to settle for what nature provides. Star Trek assumes the existence of civilizations, and those will have an incentive to engineer the planets to their liking. And all we need then is a single dominant civilization at some specific era: all later civilizations will thrive if they survive on the type of planet preferred by that once-dominant civilization, and will terraform even more planets to that standard - and will remain second-rate if they are incompatible.

Eventually, all planets that somewhat resemble Earth will be exactly like Earth. Even planets that are quite unlike Earth (such as the one from "Paradise Syndrome") will be engineered to be exactly like Earth, although the terraforming in those cases may wear off in an aeon or two.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

The thing that always irritated me about the planets that the crew stumbled across mostly seem to just be there. They're rarely mentioned as having their own Sun, or being part of a solar system, or even having any moons. Same with asteroids they just stumble over.

I'm not saying there are never rogue planets, asteroids, and comets roaming the galaxy; it's just that the Enterprise ran across a helluva lot of them.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 09:56 AM   #13
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

Navigator_NCC2120 wrote: View Post
Delta Vega wrote: View Post

Tam
There was the Season 3 episode "Whom Gods Destroy" which took place on planet Elba Two, which was not Class M.

Here are screencaps courtesy of trekcore. It shows 2 criminally insane members wearing environment suits (which were also used in "The Tholian Web") dragging the green Orion woman, Marta, out to her death on the planet's surface (outside the protective domes), per Criminal Leader Garth's instructions. Garth blew her up before she had time to choke to death and he forced Captain Kirk to watch.

Courtesy of website: http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/71.htm
Captain's Log, stardate 5718.3. The Enterprise is orbiting Elba Two, a planet with a poisonous atmosphere where the Federation maintains an asylum for the few remaining incorrigible criminally insane of the galaxy. We are bringing a revolutionary new medicine to them, a medicine with which the Federation hopes to eliminate mental illness for all time. I am transporting down with Mister Spock, and we're delivering the medicine to Doctor Donald Cory, the governor of the colony.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Yeah, thanks for that, I had overlooked that episode and do remember it well
Old September 21 2012, 09:58 AM   #14
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
kythe wrote: View Post

So in dinosaur times the Oxygen content would have been around 27%, I'm fairly sure we could breath that. We didn't hear that often the actual make-up of the Atmosphere, so they may not all be "exactly" Earth Like

We've seen Class L worlds:-

ENT: "Bounty"
DSN: "The Ascent"
DSN: "The Sound of Her Voice"
VOY: "Timeless"
VOY: "Muse"
There are more varied types of planets in later series, I do appreciate that, but I was primarily talking about Star Trek. (TOS is just wrong, its Star Trek)
Old September 21 2012, 10:58 AM   #15
Timo
Admiral

The thing that always irritated me about the planets that the crew stumbled across mostly seem to just be there. They're rarely mentioned as having their own Sun, or being part of a solar system, or even having any moons.
I don't see what additional value a specific mention would give to an episode. Does this scenery require exposition?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote