Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 20 2012, 07:02 PM   #286
Qutluch
Commander

Re: My first voyage with Voyager

R. Star wrote: View Post
The scene of Harry getting blown into space alone makes this episode worthwhile. Really though, apparently the Viidians are tailing Voyager too this whole time in order to harvest a 150 people's organs... or their territory simotaneously spreads for two years along with the Kazon... yeah.

This episode is basically like drugs for Janeway fans. It gets them euphoric and dellusional both at the same time. Bunch of random stuff going on, but really you basically knew how it was going to end. Though this is a more creative push of the reset button than usual.
Your right, my favorite part really was Harry Kim getting blown up! However, I was sad when he got sent back with the baby...why couldn't they just let him die?? I get the episode for Janeway fans; it really was directed at them, but it just didn't do it for me. There was too much "random stuff going on".
Old September 20 2012, 07:11 PM   #287
Delsaber
Commodore

Qutluch wrote: View Post
Your right, my favorite part really was Harry Kim getting blown up! However, I was sad when he got sent back with the baby...why couldn't they just let him die??
I remember reading somewhere that this was the actual plan, but Garret Wang had certain reservations about, well, not being employed any more, I suppose.

Since they never really developed his character anyway, killing him off here wouldn't have changed much going forward. Although I do wonder if having that extra slot open would've allowed for both Kes and Seven of Nine later on...
Old September 20 2012, 07:48 PM   #288
Qutluch
Commander

Innocence
The shuttle crashed on a moon and a crewman died. Tuvok tried to help him, but alas the un-named man died (anyone surprised?). Tuvok encounters children who live on the moon (they too crash-landed and apparently all of the adults died). When Tuvok told the children that he could help them they all ran up to him and gave him a hug…I loved Tuvok’s expression here!

There are two parts to this episode: Tuvok on the planet with the kids who appear to be scared of the Boogey Man and Janeway who is meeting with a new civilization; the Drayans. It was very amusing to watch Tuvok baby-sit these children…I believe he even showed emotion or lack of emotion (patience)! The kids hear a ship and get scared when it comes close. They tell Tuvok that it is their people coming to hurt them. Tuvok hides in the forest with the small fries, and they explain that their people brought them to this moon so the “Boogey Man” could take them away. That night two of the children disappeared. Tuvok briefly initiates contact with Janeway and she decides to bring another shuttle to the moon without the Drayan’s approval. Tuvok is able to get his shuttle craft off of the moon, but they are fired upon by the Drayans. The Drayans, Tuvok, and Janeway all meet on the planet and it is revealed that the Drayans aging process is the exact opposite of those on Voyager. The “Child” is actually 94. Tressa is comforted by Tuvok who acts like her guardian. It was a really touching moment when the two of them share her death experience together.

Favorite part: We actually get to see some emotion from Tuvok!! I enjoyed hearing him interact with the little people. We even get a feel for how much he misses his own children. This was a nice piece for Tuvok and his character’s development. The episode also gives insight into the Vulcan’s culture.

Least favorite part: No Neelix and no Doctor
Old September 21 2012, 12:24 AM   #289
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I couldn't choke it down, the reverse aging. I have happily sat through all manner of sci fi ridiculousness but that was too much.

Also, I always expect to see Darth Vader in the cave.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 01:03 AM   #290
Alpha Flyer
Lieutenant Commander

View Alpha Flyer's Twitter Profile

Still on Deadlock here -- it's been a tough couple of weeks at work.

Not one of my favourite episodes. What really bugged me is that here's Harry, who has just watched ALL his friends die (Tom particularly messily, as I recall, being butchered in the corridor although I may be having false memories here); then he comes back onboard the ship where everybody thinks HE is dead, and all he gets is a pat on the back and a patronizing "weird is part of the job"??? I mean, yikes.

As for Innocence -- cute, but ... duh. Could have been profound, but wasn't.

You are welcome to check out my fanfic at http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2537553/Alpha_Flyer
Alpha Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 02:16 AM   #291
Qutluch
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
I couldn't choke it down, the reverse aging. I have happily sat through all manner of sci fi ridiculousness but that was too .
I agree. My mind immediately tried to imagine someone giving birth to a full size being and I cringed and decided to ignore the whole idea of reverse aging!
Old September 21 2012, 02:18 AM   #292
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I think they must come from eggs..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 21 2012, 02:19 AM   #293
Qutluch
Commander

One would hope!
Old September 21 2012, 02:21 AM   #294
teacake
Fleet Admiral

And you know they could have taken one sentence to explain it. To stop the leg crossing visuals that the big reveal gave us.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 21 2012, 05:29 PM   #295
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sometimes you wonder if they just have discussions about these... "Hey you know what would be cool?" "What?" "A planet were everyone aged backwards, instead of getting old and dying, they get young and die." "Woaaaaaah!" "Uh... but that doesn't make any sense if you stop and think about it for a second..." "Quiet you, you're just the janitor, your opinions don't matter!"
Old September 21 2012, 06:13 PM   #296
Qutluch
Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
Sometimes you wonder if they just have discussions about these... "Hey you know what would be cool?" "What?" "A planet were everyone aged backwards, instead of getting old and dying, they get young and die." "Woaaaaaah!" "Uh... but that doesn't make any sense if you stop and think about it for a second..." "Quiet you, you're just the janitor, your opinions don't matter!"

NICE!!
Old September 21 2012, 06:15 PM   #297
Qutluch
Commander

The Thaw

Wow! The opening began with Kim whining…so surprised! On a side note, I kind of feel like Paris’ hairline is rapidly receding! I don’t think I have mentioned this before, but I really like the openings music. I often find myself humming it.

Voyager picks up an automated transmission from a damaged world. The transmission suggested that a few members of the world were able to survive the cataclysmic event that “killed” the planet. Five humanoids were put in stasis and three survived. Voyager beams these individuals onto the ship and tries to figure out why they did not reawaken when they were supposed to. We have our plot! A mystery: Who, Why, and How??

In order to figure out the mystery Kim and B’Elanna enter the other two stasis pods to speak with the individuals to figure out why they had not exited the pods. When they enter the pods they are in some kind of evil-cracked-out-circus-of-the-damned-world where the members of the circus want to kill them by beheading. (Were the writers on acid? No, really. Were they)? The three in the stasis pods enter the scene and stop Kim’s beheading (DAMN!)! They keep teasing us with a potential Kim death. One member of the evil-circus-of-the-damned taunts them, and tells the two of them that they cannot allow the humanoids to leave because the evil-circus-of-the-damned would cease to exist. They also pointed out that the reason the other two died was because the fear of beheading caused a heart attack…So, if the fear of losing your head is what causes the heart attacks for the humanoids (because they are in a make-believe world and their physical bodies don’t actually lost their heads)… why can’t Kim and B’Elanna reason out that if they are beheaded in the stasis world their bodies would be fine. It seems like they could rationally withhold the fear and leave…. This is a huge plot flaw right? Or, am I overthinking the whole thing? They need Tuvok…or the DOCTOR!! Yeah, for the Doctor! The Crazy in charge (the embodiment of fear) argues with the Doctor, and is upset because he cannot read the Doctor! Janeway trades herself for all of the other hostages…or at least pretends to via hologram and defeats The Fear, who vanishes into the backdrop.

Least favorite part: 1. If they are going to show a crazy evil circus at least let us see some awesome feats of strength or cool acrobatics in the background. 2. The whole plot flaw thing kind of ruins this episode. 3. The point of the episode was to show that anyone can overcome their fears; okay, I understand the moral rational for the episode, but it could have been executed in a stronger fashion. Finally, The moral of the story: Don’t do drugs!

Favorite part: They torture Kim! Although, this leads to another disappointment in the show…the lack of continuity between episodes. I feel confident assuming Kim will not re-address his stress from the mental torture in this episode.
Old September 21 2012, 07:32 PM   #298
Delsaber
Commodore

Given the VR-esque nature of The Thaw's story, I often wonder how it would've turned out if William Gibson wrote it instead.
Old September 21 2012, 11:04 PM   #299
teacake
Fleet Admiral

The Thaw is one of my least watched eps, I absolutely loathed it the first time round. I'm going to rewatch it tonight. I've been rewatching the ones I avoided recently (most of which are in seasons 1-3, the pre-7 years).

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 21 2012, 11:36 PM   #300
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
The Thaw is one of my least watched eps, I absolutely loathed it the first time round. I'm going to rewatch it tonight. I've been rewatching the ones I avoided recently (most of which are in seasons 1-3, the pre-7 years).
Evil Clowns just don't cut it. Though Janeway basically outeviling the evil clown comes as no surprise. Though she failed to follow through by killing Harry after she "rescued" him.