Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 7 2012, 05:18 AM   #271
teacock
Admiral

Re: My first voyage with Voyager

R. Star wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
I'm waiting for JJ to call. I will do ANYTHING, with some Cumberbatch exceptions.
Even publically denouce Janeway?
That bitch? Sure.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 06:45 AM   #272
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Welcome to the Darkside.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 07:01 AM   #273
teacock
Admiral

Yes well.. the MU does have it's enticements.

EVIL LEZBIAN JANEWAY!!!!

:: pants ::

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 7 2012, 07:04 AM   #274
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Janeway almost always wore pants.

What an odd thing for your unquenchable passion to focus on.

Old September 7 2012, 07:11 AM   #275
teacock
Admiral

You know what I want to see her in? One of those NX-01 jumpsuits.

Here's a manip someone did which gives you the idea of how glorious this would be:

You know why standard issue Starfleet uniforms are so not sexy?

NO BUTTONS. Or snaps or press studs or zippers or whatever.. nothing to undo. Nothing to accidentally come undone. It's a missed opportunity in Trek design.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 7 2012, 08:11 AM   #276
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Does that collar go all the way down to her naval?

Old September 7 2012, 08:52 AM   #277
teacock
Admiral

I haven't had the pleasure.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 7 2012, 08:57 AM   #278
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Why photoshop half measures?

Old September 7 2012, 09:01 AM   #279
teacock
Admiral

I don't know, it comes from some J/C site as I recall so perhaps they were busy unzipping the plank. However I'm happy with this level of reveal, anticipation and all. Plus we already got that black dress

(non HiJS people may have missed this event)

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 12 2012, 05:44 PM   #280
Qutluch
Commander

Investigations
Wow! I really do love Neelix; who else would have thought about a video newsletter to keep moral up? (I interviewed a WWII veteran who was in charge of moral on a naval ship and he set up a written newsletter…this video by Neelix kind of reminds me of his story. He said the newsletter was really cheesy, but that it made people smile)!! Also, I love that Neelix’s cooking cap matched his apron (I want a set… maybe that will be my next convention costume)!

Neelix was contacted by a Talaxian friend who notified him that his ship would rendezvous with the VOY in order to pick up a crew member who no longer wanted to be on board: Paris. Neelix goes to speak with Paris about why he wanted to leave. Paris argues that he never enjoyed being on VOY. Paris explains that he just made a mess of his place on VOY and that he has just sabotaged all of his chances for family and friends on board.

Neelix uses his video newsletter to drum up support for Paris and argue that he is a worthy friend and that the ship would be better off if Paris stayed on board. I like how he said that he originally overlooked Paris’ bravery because he saw it as brashness.

The warp engines are ruined (sabotaged) and Neelix helps Janeway and Chakotay find a planet where they can buy supplies that they need. The Talaxian ship was also attacked by the Kazon and Paris was taken. Neelix is suspicious that Paris was taken after less than a day on the Talaxian ship. Neelix figures out that the Kazon were told about Paris’ movement before it happened. Neelix is acting like a good journalist, but I feel like Tuvok would have reasoned it out already too….Then I realized that Paris’ behavior was a ruse so he could be a spy to find the spy, and Tuvok already knew about it which is why he did not jump on the information that Neelix provided him with. I should have realized that there was something fishy going on during the Neelix/Tuvok scene, but alas they surprised me!

In the end, Paris announces the spy as Jonas. Paris makes it back on VOY, and Neelix kills Jonas. Also, Paris goes onto Neelix’s video announcement and explains what happened and even apologizes for being an ass, even though it was part of his spy-character.

Favorite part: I like the continuity of this episode with the previous episodes. I think it showed that Paris is a strong character who has devoted himself to being accepted on the ship and that he is trying to improve himself. I also think it showed how kind and brave Neelix is. Neelix really does try his best to help the entire crew, and particularly those he has befriended. He may be annoying at times but he has an altruistic attitude. True, he may be a little prideful and know that what he is doing is great, but he is still doing positive things nevertheless.

Least favorite part: I could not figure out who the character Alpha Flyer warned me about was. I had to look it up on Memory Alpha to figure out the guest star was the King of Jordan! Also, the cheesy green background when Neelix and Jonaas fight to the death.
Old September 12 2012, 07:25 PM   #281
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Investigations... sigh. It was a really cliche filled ending to all this Paris/Jonas intrigue that had been quietly building up. Neelix decided he's has a new hobby. The next day he's suddenly an authority on it. Does no one realize that he nearly screwed everything up with his interfering? Janeway asked him NOT to go poking around because it would ruin their plan and coincidentally, everything Paris is doing. He's really a self-absorbed jerk. But we knew from episode 1 when he lied to the crew, and risked their lives that he wasn't quite trustworthy. He was going to get HIS headlines, it didn't matter the consequences.

Then there's Jonas himself. He was doing so well until this episode. There were doubts in him, things he would and wouldn't do in his spy capacity and a depth to him almost. Then he just turned into a stereotypical villain in this one. Complete with the cliche scream and charge the hero who's standing on the edge of a precipice.

Really all this episode did was conclude a long and slow push of the reset button that was so typical on Voyager. All those subplots for the past several episodes, just get hand waved away, there's no lasting effects on the characters, we never see Neelix be a journalist again, and Seska and Culluh are still just tailing Voyager like they have been for over the last year.
Old September 12 2012, 10:46 PM   #282
Alpha Flyer
Lieutenant Commander

View Alpha Flyer's Twitter Profile

Congrats for uncovering King Abdullah! :-) He is a huge Star Trek fan (they're opening a ST theme park near Amman soon, I gather).

I have a higher opinion of Investigations than R. Star. I liked the idea of a macro-plot that develops over 4 or 5 episodes -- they don't happen very often on ST. I also thought it followed nicely on Threshold, and Tom's confession to Janeway that he needs to prove himself. I have this theory that she conceived the plan with Tuvok very shortly thereafter -- in a somewhat calculating way (as in, "he'll do anything ..."). The dynamic between Tom and Chakotay should have been explored better though -- ultimately it was Chakotay who was betrayed by Janeway, who didn't trust him enough to involve him, and the only one who ever really apologizes to him is Tom. (I did write a short story on the C/P dynamic early on in this sequence, called "Far From Home".)

I also liked the awkwardness of Tom's apology to Chakotay. Some people would say he was an ass about it, but frankly I think he just doesn't really know how to act as he's been put between the command team and really was in a difficult situation. He's also used to being a failure, so being lauded as a hero is great, but he's clearly not entirely believing it. So he turns it all into a grand joke -- as he tends to do with most things that matter to him -- and Robbie McNeill is a good enough actor that you can see in his face that it's not a comfortable one.

As for Jonas, he was a serious failure as a spy. In one of the previous episodes you see him communicate with Seska and the Kazon and he is just such a bumbling moron, a real amateur when he tries to impress these people. So I wasn't surprised when he totally overreacted with Neelix throughout the episode. Basically he's a little shit who's in way over his head.

Neelix? Yeah, irresponsible journalism 101. Right up there with Wikileaks for putting people in harm's way. I do, however, like the way he brushes off the Doctor and his ego as a running gag.

You are welcome to check out my fanfic at http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2537553/Alpha_Flyer
Alpha Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 12:40 AM   #283
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I liked Tom's role in this. He really was the hero of the episode. Though the Kazon demonstrate how stupid they are yet again. Their idea of a prison is a room you're told not to leave? That has a working computer with sensitive information? Those morons deserve to lose. How do they even keep those ships they stole working? I can just see a dozen Kazon with "Warp Engineering for Dummies" books fumbling over a warp core.

As for Paris/Chakotay, for awhile I was actually thinking they remembered that Paris and Chakotay didn't like each other as painfully established in the pilot, during this arc. But it was a false alarm of course. No more friction and the reset button was applied.

Neelix brushing the Doctor aside was beautiful. Picardo always delivers a top notch performance and his wounded ego cannot be denied!
Old September 20 2012, 06:47 PM   #284
Qutluch
Commander

Deadlock

The opener starts with Wildman helping Neelix in the kitchen and she goes into labor. Kes and the Doc help her deliver the baby. Wildman is having difficulties in her birth and I am thinking they are going to do a cesarean, but how silly of me, of course they will beam the baby out. (Wouldn’t it just be easier to deliver all babies that way? Why torture women with child birth if it safe to transport babies out?) The Viidian show up on VOY’s censors just as Wildman has her baby.

There is a brief spacial rift because of the plasma rift and there is an alternate reality that occurs. The ship is attacked by the Viidians, The Doc is swamped because the baby is sick, and there is an influx of injured passengers coming in because of the attack. The crew keeps trying to fix the problems, but they are occurring faster than the crew can make repairs. Kim is sucked into space, and B’Elanna reports him as dead. ((Too bad)) When Kes was going to help she disappears into a spacial rift, and there are over 600 fractures in the hull. Things look pretty bad and even worse when Tuvok announces that the baby died. Then the events change and everything is fine.

Wildman’s baby is just fine, but she did have the baby during the time when Janeway had her visions. Kes seems to be able to go back and forth between the two different versions of the VOY. There is a shift throughout the episode from one VOY scene to the other. The two VOY’s eventually figure out how to contact one another. The two Janeways decide to meet (the cut Janeway received on her face in one reality really helped to tell them apart; good planning)! It was so funny to listen to the two of them argue against each other!

The Vidiians infiltrate the Voyager and begin stealing organs and make a dash to get the new baby! Janeway sends Kim to get the baby and bring it to the second Voyager and the infiltrated VOY has set the self-destruct…BOOM!! The Vidiian ship and the VOY have been destroyed….So which VOY was destroyed? This episode confused me a little…too much jumping back and forth!!

Favorite part: Janeway arguing with herself.

Least favorite part: There was too much jumping around. While it was fun to see Janeway argue it against herself it was also confusing. It was a very sci-fi-ish episode with dual realities and the mixing of the two realities, but I just didn’t care for this episode as much. I wonder how the people on the safe VOY felt when there alternate selves died. Were they happy because it would have been too confusing to understand and live with a second them, or were they deeply saddened by the loss of themselves?
Old September 20 2012, 06:57 PM   #285
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The scene of Harry getting blown into space alone makes this episode worthwhile. Really though, apparently the Viidians are tailing Voyager too this whole time in order to harvest a 150 people's organs... or their territory simotaneously spreads for two years along with the Kazon... yeah.

This episode is basically like drugs for Janeway fans. It gets them euphoric and dellusional both at the same time. Bunch of random stuff going on, but really you basically knew how it was going to end. Though this is a more creative push of the reset button than usual.