Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 20 2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Going into a movie blind

Has anyone ever gone to see a movie without having seen anything about it beforehand? I'm including trailers as well. I realize, these days, it's very difficult to avoid publicity for a movie and, if you do, it's hard to imagine why you'd see it. But I'm wondering if a movie is better when you have no preconceptions about it.

I did this once. My friends asked me if I wanted to see District 9, which I somehow hadn't seen anything about. I knew it was a Peter Jackson film and that it had received good word of mouth reviews, but I literally hadn't seen a trailer and didn't even know it was about aliens.

Was it a better experience? Obviously, I can't compare my experience to one who had seen the trailer first since I only know what I experienced. It was different. I felt I was exploring for the first few minutes to figure out what was going on. Luckily, the movie establishes the background pretty quickly (aliens), so I wasn't left confused. I figure movies that take too long to get to the point might not feel the same way (a lot of superhero movies with origin stories can fall into this category).
Old September 20 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: Going into a movie blind

Going in to a movie blind? What, is it in braille? Ba-dum-dum

But seriously, like you said, it's near impossible to not know an awful lot about a movie months before it premieres.

Sometimes I miss the 70's & 80's.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 02:59 PM   #3
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Paycheck, Taken, District 9, Men in Black III, The Avengers, Dark Shadows

Sometimes I'm good at not paying attention to promotional stuff. Couldn't care less about Dark Shadows or District 9, but the others were good.

I'd count The Dark Knight Rises as well, because I didn't see anything except the first trailer on purpose.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I normally wouldn't do this myself, but I was with some family members and we decided on the fly to go to the movies, didn't really even know what was playing. We ended up seeing Lost in Translation. Terrible. The only movie in which my mom fell asleep and I wanted to walk out of. The only reason I didn't was because my dad was willing to give it until the end to improve. It didn't.

So, I learned my lesson. Do a little research before walking into the theater.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:30 PM   #5
billcosby
Commodore

There was one film I saw (a long time ago) which I knew nothing about beforehand.... and really enjoyed it.
Although not enough to remember what it was!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:44 PM   #6
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I got dragged to seeing Safety Not Guaranteed earlier this summer. I'd heard the title mentioned somewhere before, but that was about it. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
Old September 20 2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

I recall going to see The Matrix with a group of friends and not having read or watched a single thing about it beforehand. Boy, was I in for a pleasant (and mindblowing) surprise.
Old September 20 2012, 04:20 PM   #8
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I don't think I have. Usually I'll at least know who it starts (like once I went to see You Don't Mess with the Zohan, didn't know anything about it other than Adam Sandler was in it).

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:38 PM   #9
J.T.B.
Commodore

Raising Arizona, pretty much. A couple of friends and I were driving around and decided we wanted to go to a movie, and chose that one based on the poster in the lobby. One of the funnest movie-going experiences of my life. It had very little promotion behind it as I remember, and it took a couple of years of home video word of mouth before I talked to anyone else who had even heard of it.

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The only film I can recall seeing or hearing nothing about before seeing it was Donnie Darko.

I caught The Matrix by accident after the film I wanted to see had sold out, but I'd seen a few trailers for that.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I think I've always at least seen a trailer or TV spot. I can't say I've ever just picked a movie off the marquee and went in.
Old September 20 2012, 05:06 PM   #12
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Its become a lot more common since I started workin' for a movie theater. Before this job, I would watch a trailer or read up about a movie I was payin' to see. I'd even watch trailers for stuff I had free passes for, just to decide it if was worth waitin' in line.

Now, I just walk up & pick what I haven't seen yet, and sometimes that means goin' into a movie I wouldn't watch in a million years...
Old September 20 2012, 05:53 PM   #13
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yep, I've done it. Like you say, much more difficult these days with the prevalence of the media discussing it and showing too much of it. But I did manage to go into Trek 09 pretty much blind and I had a much better experience because of it. I hadn't even watched the trailer until I was sure I was going to go and see it with a friend which was a few days beforehand. In general, I much prefer not following movies so closely that I know everything beforehand. I think it ruins the element of surprise, but it's frustrating when the publicity is structured as to sometimes ruin those surprises.

But on the other hand, I've come to realize that if they hardly talk about the movie itself, that something sounds wrong. For example, when Harrison Ford was promoting Indy 4 and doing the publicity tour, I remembered watching him on a talk show and while they had spent a lot of time on him, he hadn't talked about Indy 4 or given any details about it other than it was coming out.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; September 20 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 06:00 PM   #14
sojourner
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Paycheck, Taken, District 9, Men in Black III, The Avengers, Dark Shadows

Sometimes I'm good at not paying attention to promotional stuff. Couldn't care less about Dark Shadows or District 9, but the others were good.

I'd count The Dark Knight Rises as well, because I didn't see anything except the first trailer on purpose.
Sequels wouldn't really count as "going in blind" though, unless you somehow failed to see anything of the previous movies they are based on.
Old September 20 2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I have to say I don't think I've ever seen a film at the cinema due to a trailer, or review. But then I don't go to many.

It's really only TV/game big screen adaptions and sequels that interest me, so by that definition I go into them with certain expectations.