Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 18 2012, 06:48 PM   #121
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
Also notice how clean our heroes are, there teeth all perfect, and there there clothes are all super clean with no holes, totaly unrealistic in that senario.
Anwar wrote: View Post
It's a conceit of network television. It was expected right from the start anyways.
Where's the connection between "network television" and "perfectly clean wardrobe"?
Because you know the network suits will never let their characters look too 'dirty' - everyone has to look good, else it would drive down ratings. Everyone has to be clean and photogenic. No one is ever dirty or ugly.
Reminds me of how Voyager was clean and prestine each episode LOL

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 06:50 PM   #122
Dream
Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Reminds me of how Voyager was clean and prestine each episode LOL
Let's not start THAT again!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 06:52 PM   #123
SAndrews10
Captain

It's obvious the loss of power is caused by a low level deunetic (spelling) field. I paid attention when Chief O'Brien talked!
SAndrews10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 08:01 PM   #124
sojourner
Admiral

Well, Gil Scott-Heron was wrong. The revolution has been televised.
Old September 18 2012, 08:48 PM   #125
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Ratings go down when characters look dirty?
That's what network executives seem to think, anyway. Or when was the last time you saw people with anything less than flawless skin, hair, and teeth on a network show?
Old September 19 2012, 04:01 PM   #126
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I didn't think it was very good and found the insurance adjuster the most interesting one of the bunch.
Old September 19 2012, 05:33 PM   #127
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

This show has a lot of potential for Steampunk technology to be used in the post electricity world.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 05:55 PM   #128
FreezeC77
Commodore

You know I also thought it was strange the lead girl was walking around in hip-hugger jeans, but then I thought about it. Let's say 95% of the population of the US died.

There's got to be millions of brand new designer clothes made pre-blackout just sitting in warehouses and department stores across the country. It could very well have become a type of business for some scavagers to find the depots, gather the goods and then take them out by carriages to outposts in order to sell their wares.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:57 AM   #129
indianatrekker26
Captain

I caught the re-airing of the pilot tonight on NBC. I gotta say i really enjoyed it and will be back next week.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 05:46 AM   #130
Talosian
Lieutenant Commander

The pilot was breathtakingly dumb.

I modestly enjoyed it, however. It was a somewhat diverting way to spend an hour. And I always have a weakness for science fiction, dystopian literature, and fantasy.

If the show succeeds, it may do so on the basis of the young adult, Twilight-oriented demographic. But, I doubt it will succeed, because that demo is female led, and young girls are so herd-oriented that they require an initial mass to tell them what to like. That's a tall order for a network television drama.

For the middle aged men - note how jacked the mysterious love interest for Charlie, "Nate" is. For that matter, look at Charlie's brother - he's almost bursting from his henley. As recently as the 90's, an ideal young girl was Charlie like, but an ideal young man was not a ripped muscle-man.

This is a new phenomenon. Young women in 2012 are becoming almost as superficial as young men and demand well built young men. This is why guys in their teens, twenties, and thirties now have to pray before the gym gods to have a chance with young women.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 06:12 AM   #131
sojourner
Admiral

^what's good for the goose is good for the gander, as they say.
Old September 20 2012, 07:52 AM   #132
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Only ganders and pigs are allowed to say that.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:07 PM   #133
indianatrekker26
Captain

Talosian wrote: View Post
The pilot was breathtakingly dumb.

I modestly enjoyed it, however. It was a somewhat diverting way to spend an hour. And I always have a weakness for science fiction, dystopian literature, and fantasy.

If the show succeeds, it may do so on the basis of the young adult, Twilight-oriented demographic. But, I doubt it will succeed, because that demo is female led, and young girls are so herd-oriented that they require an initial mass to tell them what to like. That's a tall order for a network television drama.

For the middle aged men - note how jacked the mysterious love interest for Charlie, "Nate" is. For that matter, look at Charlie's brother - he's almost bursting from his henley. As recently as the 90's, an ideal young girl was Charlie like, but an ideal young man was not a ripped muscle-man.

This is a new phenomenon. Young women in 2012 are becoming almost as superficial as young men and demand well built young men. This is why guys in their teens, twenties, and thirties now have to pray before the gym gods to have a chance with young women.
i basically enjoyed the show for what it was, light escapism for an hour. But i was entertained.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 05:40 PM   #134
davejames
Vice Admiral

I finally got around to watching this, and ugh. It started really well, and there's a pretty cool idea behind it.... but the writing was so painfully generic and hackneyed that after about 30 minutes I just couldn't take it anymore.

What with the cartoonishly evil villain, the pretty model types who looked like they just stepped out of a fashion shoot, and the overly romanticized setting, I just didn't believe a SECOND of it.

I mean, seriously. Is there a requirement that all NBC dramas be written this way now? Flashforward might not have lived up to it's potential, but at least it tried to take it's premise seriously and didn't feel like it was written for the Disney Channel.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 05:49 PM   #135
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
The Walking Dead has one of the most dirty looking group of characters on television, and it always done very well in the ratings. Post-apocalyptic show done right.
Even the Walking Dead characters are only tv dirty, not dirty dirty. It's obvious with the women, their clothes are slightly dirty, their faces and hair? Not so much, I haven't seen a mop of greasy, sweaty hair on any female so far and they still seem to find the time to shave their body hair off. Don't expect to see a naturally hairy female leg or armpit, not even during the zombie apocalypse.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote