RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,189
Posts: 5,345,400
Members: 24,603
Currently online: 727
Newest member: localyokel

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 20 2012, 02:52 PM   #31
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain
 
MatthiasRussell's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Re: What if... ETERNAL TIDE SPOILERS

I thoroughly enjoyed Generations.

Consider it's original concept though where the thought was to find a means to have the TOS crew and the TNG crew in conflict which each other. I understand that idea was ultimately rejected because 1. ship v ship, it would be no contest and 2. one of the crews would end up being portrayed as the bad guys or at least in the wrong.

Then it was decided to have a story where the crews work together in the plot. So we end up with Kirk and Picard working together to fight the anagonist and we get to see them get to know each other. Plus, in the battle, neither Picard or Kirk seemed to be in charge of the other but working together as equals. I loved that scene. Plus in the movie, Kirk died twice saving, not one, but two Enterprise crews. As we saw in the scene before the Nexus came, Picard fails without Kirk. Sure Kirk's final moments of death weren't glorious but his final hour was and Kirk was able to die knowing the battle was over and he made a difference. Many soldier's don't get that in the battlefield.


As to the original question for this thread, i'm glad Janeway wasn't killed in the end. Eden's sacrifice made more sense and seems to be what the character was designed to ultimately do and the Janeway fanatics would have gotten more militant about how their hero was resurrected just so the franchise could kill her again.
__________________
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"
MatthiasRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:21 PM   #32
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: What if... ETERNAL TIDE SPOILERS

Christopher wrote: View Post
And of course the point of this was that it was a TNG movie, not a TOS movie. It wasn't supposed to be centered on Kirk. It was passing the torch to the TNG cast, selling movie audiences on the new team and just using Kirk to ease the transition. He was there to be a special guest, not the center of the story.
And I still would have preferred he not be there at all especially since I would think almost a decade on the air and being a popular show would mean that they wouldn't need yet another torch passing to somehow justify TNG's existence.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:36 PM   #33
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: What if... ETERNAL TIDE SPOILERS

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
And I still would have preferred he not be there at all especially since I would think almost a decade on the air and being a popular show would mean that they wouldn't need yet another torch passing to somehow justify TNG's existence.
Again: the moviegoing audience was not identical with the TV audience. A lot of the target audience they had to draw in for the movie to succeed financially consisted of people who didn't already watch TNG and weren't familiar with these characters. It's just the nature of the business that if you adapt a work to a different medium, you're going after a different audience and have to start over with introducing the work and making it accessible. Of course the people who are already fans will follow you, but they're just going to be a portion of your audience. Assume it's enough to cater to the existing fans and you'll just alienate the new fans. Which doesn't make any sense as a strategy, because the whole point of moving to a different medium is to bring the work to a new audience.

So to a large extent, Generations had to be about drawing in the moviegoing audience that had followed the TOS movies, and that in many cases only followed Star Trek in movie form, or were only fans of the original series. It had to be about introducing those audience members to the TNG cast and selling them on what, to them, was a new change. Heck, that's probably a factor in why they dropped the TNG subtitle for the movies and just called them Star Trek.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:43 PM   #34
Enterpriserules
Fleet Captain
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: What if... ETERNAL TIDE SPOILERS

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
And I still would have preferred he not be there at all especially since I would think almost a decade on the air and being a popular show would mean that they wouldn't need yet another torch passing to somehow justify TNG's existence.
Again: the moviegoing audience was not identical with the TV audience. A lot of the target audience they had to draw in for the movie to succeed financially consisted of people who didn't already watch TNG and weren't familiar with these characters. It's just the nature of the business that if you adapt a work to a different medium, you're going after a different audience and have to start over with introducing the work and making it accessible. Of course the people who are already fans will follow you, but they're just going to be a portion of your audience. Assume it's enough to cater to the existing fans and you'll just alienate the new fans. Which doesn't make any sense as a strategy, because the whole point of moving to a different medium is to bring the work to a new audience.

So to a large extent, Generations had to be about drawing in the moviegoing audience that had followed the TOS movies, and that in many cases only followed Star Trek in movie form, or were only fans of the original series. It had to be about introducing those audience members to the TNG cast and selling them on what, to them, was a new change. Heck, that's probably a factor in why they dropped the TNG subtitle for the movies and just called them Star Trek.
I completely agree with you, but I wish that the story was tighter and better. Passing the torch is great, but it deserved a better and more personal story for everyone involved
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:52 PM   #35
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: What if... ETERNAL TIDE SPOILERS

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
And I still would have preferred he not be there at all especially since I would think almost a decade on the air and being a popular show would mean that they wouldn't need yet another torch passing to somehow justify TNG's existence.
Again: the moviegoing audience was not identical with the TV audience. A lot of the target audience they had to draw in for the movie to succeed financially consisted of people who didn't already watch TNG and weren't familiar with these characters. It's just the nature of the business that if you adapt a work to a different medium, you're going after a different audience and have to start over with introducing the work and making it accessible. Of course the people who are already fans will follow you, but they're just going to be a portion of your audience. Assume it's enough to cater to the existing fans and you'll just alienate the new fans. Which doesn't make any sense as a strategy, because the whole point of moving to a different medium is to bring the work to a new audience.

So to a large extent, Generations had to be about drawing in the moviegoing audience that had followed the TOS movies, and that in many cases only followed Star Trek in movie form, or were only fans of the original series. It had to be about introducing those audience members to the TNG cast and selling them on what, to them, was a new change. Heck, that's probably a factor in why they dropped the TNG subtitle for the movies and just called them Star Trek.
I completely agree with you, but I wish that the story was tighter and better. Passing the torch is great, but it deserved a better and more personal story for everyone involved
And possibly not bring a character back for what seems like the sole purpose of dieing (killing the character in itself isn't bad just don't have it be the primary reason their in the story to begin with) especially after you pretty much already wrapped up their story in a previous installment.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:56 PM   #36
Enterpriserules
Fleet Captain
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: What if... ETERNAL TIDE SPOILERS

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

Again: the moviegoing audience was not identical with the TV audience. A lot of the target audience they had to draw in for the movie to succeed financially consisted of people who didn't already watch TNG and weren't familiar with these characters. It's just the nature of the business that if you adapt a work to a different medium, you're going after a different audience and have to start over with introducing the work and making it accessible. Of course the people who are already fans will follow you, but they're just going to be a portion of your audience. Assume it's enough to cater to the existing fans and you'll just alienate the new fans. Which doesn't make any sense as a strategy, because the whole point of moving to a different medium is to bring the work to a new audience.

So to a large extent, Generations had to be about drawing in the moviegoing audience that had followed the TOS movies, and that in many cases only followed Star Trek in movie form, or were only fans of the original series. It had to be about introducing those audience members to the TNG cast and selling them on what, to them, was a new change. Heck, that's probably a factor in why they dropped the TNG subtitle for the movies and just called them Star Trek.
I completely agree with you, but I wish that the story was tighter and better. Passing the torch is great, but it deserved a better and more personal story for everyone involved
And possibly not bring a character back for what seems like the sole purpose of dieing (killing the character in itself isn't bad just don't have it be the primary reason their in the story to begin with) especially after you pretty much already wrapped up their story in a previous installment.
Well put and my feelings exactly
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 12:19 AM   #37
trekmom
Ensign
 
Location: Minnesota
Re: What if... ETERNAL TIDE SPOILERS

Hi! I'm new here.

Part of what I like about Trek is the endless possibilities. Somebody died? So what? There's always an omnipotent being, alternate reality, B4 android template, or some other type of solution. I'm glad Janeway is back. I do like the evolution that some of the characters have been through in her absence-especially Seven and Chakotay. But to answer the OP's question, IF Janeway had had to sacrifice herself instead of Eden, I would have expected it. Especially with the short forward that Bayer wrote-something like "It's an alternate reality, just go with it." For some reason, that made it sound to me like Janeway's return would be temporary. I couldn't put the book down during the last 20% or so (Kindle-no page numbers!) because I wanted to know if Janeway would survive. I missed her energy and enthusiasm. I also miss Voyager reruns on TV. Now I can't wait for the next book to see what happens!
trekmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
janeway

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.