Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 20 2012, 04:04 AM   #331
Christopher
Writer

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Icemizer wrote: View Post
^I agree. Now where should they be based? Hall of Justice, Satellite, or Moon Base.
I have mixed feelings about the Hall of Justice. On the one hand, Superfriends was silly. On the other hand, the HoJ's design was based on my favorite building, Union Terminal here in Cincinnati, less than two miles from where I'm sitting. (This is because Superfriends was sponsored by Cincy-based Procter & Gamble, and the developers of the show were in town to meet with the P&G people and they were struck by the design of the Terminal.) It would be awesome if they did location shooting at the Terminal and used it as the HoJ in a movie. (The makers of Batman Forever almost used the Terminal as the exterior of the arena or convention center where the Graysons were killed, but ended up using a similar-looking matte painting instead.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:15 AM   #332
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I like the Hall of Justice/Satellite combo. The JLA should have a presence on Earth.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:18 AM   #333
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I agree. Now where should they be based? Hall of Justice, Satellite, or Moon Base.
I have mixed feelings about the Hall of Justice. On the one hand, Superfriends was silly. On the other hand, the HoJ's design was based on my favorite building, Union Terminal here in Cincinnati, less than two miles from where I'm sitting. (This is because Superfriends was sponsored by Cincy-based Procter & Gamble, and the developers of the show were in town to meet with the P&G people and they were struck by the design of the Terminal.) It would be awesome if they did location shooting at the Terminal and used it as the HoJ in a movie. (The makers of Batman Forever almost used the Terminal as the exterior of the arena or convention center where the Graysons were killed, but ended up using a similar-looking matte painting instead.)
Hey, neighbor. I see the Union Terminal all the time (that is, several times a year passing by, when I drive through Cincinnati). It really stands out from I-75. I never knew they based the HoJ on it, but in retrospect it's completely obvious. That's a great tidbit.

Super Friends was silly, but I have a huge amount of nostalgia for it. I love the theme music, and the voice work was quite memorable. Somehow there is something iconic about the Hall of Justice.
Old September 20 2012, 04:50 AM   #334
Mars
Captain

That's because it was a Saturday morning cartoon for children, and I think it was more interesting to watch than spongebob squarepants, or Adventure Time. They just don't make children's cartoons they way they used to, for instance now they make it about children, when I was a kid I watched cartoons about adults, most cartoons were for kids back then, the concept of an adult cartoon didn't cross my mind back then. You got to admit the concept of the justice league is fairly juvenile.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:53 AM   #335
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mars wrote: View Post
That's because it was a Saturday morning cartoon for children, and I think it was more interesting to watch than spongebob squarepants, or Adventure Time. They just don't make children's cartoons they way they used to, for instance now they make it about children, when I was a kid I watched cartoons about adults, most cartoons were for kids back then, the concept of an adult cartoon didn't cross my mind back then. You got to admit the concept of the justice league is fairly juvenile.
Gosh, maybe because the JLA was a comic book targeted for children?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old September 20 2012, 05:19 AM   #336
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
Good idea -- a tighter core cast, and a more diverse one. Still, I think I'd pick John Stewart over Cyborg. The JL should have a GL. And I think there'd be room for Flash too. The Avengers had six core hero characters, seven if you count Fury. (Although given that Hawkeye was relatively marginalized, maybe it's still six.)
I would have picked a Green Lantern if not for the recent flop and I originally wanted to include Flash as the sixth, but I decided that I liked five members better.
Avengers worked with more heroes but keep in mind that everyone was surpsised that Whedon managed to give everything something meaningful to do as well as he did.
The bigger the line up, the bigger the risk someone gets screwed and/or the movie suffers from trying to focus on everyone. I'd rather not take that risk, start with a smaller line up and when the first movie was a success, introduce one or two additional members in the second.
You could include the Flash but have him taken out of action early in the movie. Injury, coma, taken captive or whatever. That way you could feature the character (and his powers) but the critics wouldn't be asking, "How come the Flash can't just run up at super-speed and disarm them all?"
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 05:21 AM   #337
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
You could include the Flash but have him taken out of action early in the movie. Injury, coma, taken captive or whatever. That way you could feature the character (and his powers) but the critics wouldn't be asking, "How come the Flash can't just run up at super-speed and disarm them all?"
Or maybe just have him do that. Why not? Just have to make better villains rather than handicapping the heroes to make it hard for them.
Old September 20 2012, 05:43 AM   #338
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Okay, but I would hope that's not the resolution of the movie or it will be pretty dull.

However: if they can write a plot that logically explains why the movie can't be resolved by having the Flash disable the enemy army by himself using super-speed, or take the doomsday switch out of the bad guy's hand by himself using super-speed, or (insert more examples here) using super-speed, then I'm all for it.

It's just that an awful lot of the time, there's no reason given why he can't do these things. He just doesn't, at which point his teammates have to step in. It's just another example of the writers handicapping the hero, only in those cases they're apparently handicapping his brain. Or theirs.
Old September 20 2012, 05:57 AM   #339
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Couldn't Superman, Wonder Woman or the Martian Manhunter do the same thing? I think all the heroes who can move at superspeed will have that power toned down in films.
Old September 20 2012, 06:10 AM   #340
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I suppose so, but they can't slow him down too much or he won't be the Flash! Also, he still has to be significantly faster than guys like Superman or else he becomes redundant.

And you may want to talk to Professor Zoom about handicapping the heroes.

(I swear, that is about the last name I'd expect to see arguing in favor of the Flash!)
Old September 20 2012, 06:25 AM   #341
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Okay, but I would hope that's not the resolution of the movie or it will be pretty dull.
Well, yeah.

However: if they can write a plot that logically explains why the movie can't be resolved by having the Flash disable the enemy army by himself using super-speed, or take the doomsday switch out of the bad guy's hand by himself using super-speed, or (insert more examples here) using super-speed, then I'm all for it.

It's just that an awful lot of the time, there's no reason given why he can't do these things. He just doesn't, at which point his teammates have to step in. It's just another example of the writers handicapping the hero, only in those cases they're apparently handicapping his brain. Or theirs.
I always thought the JL cartoon did a good job of showing their powers but not making it easy.

(I swear, that is about the last name I'd expect to see arguing in favor of the Flash!)
BWAH HAH HAH HAH.
Old September 20 2012, 06:58 AM   #342
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I suppose so, but they can't slow him down too much or he won't be the Flash! Also, he still has to be significantly faster than guys like Superman or else he becomes redundant.

And you may want to talk to Professor Zoom about handicapping the heroes.

He just needs to be the fastest man alive to be the Flash.

It's not really a handicap if that how the character is presented.
Old September 20 2012, 03:32 PM   #343
Christopher
Writer

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
At that time, in the '70s, that was much less the case than it had been a decade or two earlier. Marvel's comics had become more intelligent and sophisticated starting in the '60s, and by the '70s DC was catching up, but it was some time more before animation started to catch up with the trend. Superfriends, for most of its run, was far younger-skewing and far stupider than the comics being published at the same time.

Although the last season or two in the mid-'80s, retitled Super Powers Team as a toy tie-in, became somewhat more sophisticated and closer to the comics -- and the story editor on those seasons, Alan Burnett, went on to become one of the key creators behind Batman: The Animated Series and the rest of the DCAU in the '90s-'00s.

Actually I think there's a very good reason, if you take a more realistic approach to the physics of it than the comics usually do. Even if you set aside the biological improbabilities and assume a character could move and think with such incredible speed, there's also the issue of how that would affect the surrounding environment. Running at hundreds of km/h could leave hurricane-force winds in your wake. Try grabbing your damsel in distress and yanking her from a standstill to such a high velocity in a split-second and you'll liquefy her internal organs with the acceleration, if your arms don't simply tear right through her.

And when something cuts through the atmosphere fast enough, it compresses the air in front of it faster than it can be pushed aside, and that heats it considerably. Run at thousands of km/h and you'd heat the air to plasma and have a deadly fireball preceding you. Then there are the limits of gravity to consider. Hit 29,000 km/h (about 8 km/s) and you'll be at orbital velocity and won't be able to keep your feet on the ground -- and get to 39,600 km/h (11 km/s) and you'll reach escape velocity and go flying off into space.

So it's easy to impose practical limits on speedsters if you make a few concessions to realism -- much as The Avengers limited how high the Hulk could jump so that it wouldn't look too ridiculous. It's easier to sell the really absurd stuff in cartoon form than in (apparent) live action.

It's basically the "world of cardboard" principle, to take the term from Superman's speech in the final Justice League Unlimited episode. Superman could exert far more power than he usually does, but he holds back because doing so would cause too much destruction to the environment and people around him. He only cuts loose with his full abilities when the stakes are so high that he has no alternative. (The same principle comes into play in the recent DVD movie Superman vs. the Elite.) You could easily say the same about the Flash -- that he can run as fast as he needs to (short of orbital velocity, at least), but generally keeps it slower out of concern for the safety of the people he's interacting with or the bystanders in the area.

Old September 20 2012, 03:59 PM   #344
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
At that time, in the '70s, that was much less the case than it had been a decade or two earlier. Marvel's comics had become more intelligent and sophisticated starting in the '60s, and by the '70s DC was catching up, but it was some time more before animation started to catch up with the trend. Superfriends, for most of its run, was far younger-skewing and far stupider than the comics being published at the same time.

Although the last season or two in the mid-'80s, retitled Super Powers Team as a toy tie-in, became somewhat more sophisticated and closer to the comics -- and the story editor on those seasons, Alan Burnett, went on to become one of the key creators behind Batman: The Animated Series and the rest of the DCAU in the '90s-'00s.

I know, I was there.
Old September 20 2012, 04:01 PM   #345
Christopher
Writer

If you know, then why did you make such an incorrect statement in the first place?