Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 19 2012, 11:38 PM   #16
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Re: Lying on a resume?

Sounds kind of shady, and I've done my fair share of exaggerating, e.g. if I've spent 5-10 minutes dicking around in a programming language, I'm listing that as "proficient".

I'd say in general I've had nothing but negative experiences with staffing agencies, and this sounds like a similar sort of deal. Does your friend get paid for working at this company when he's not 'on assignment'? I guess I'm not clear if this is the typically scummy staffing-type thing or a more legit consulting-type gig.

I also doubt that the company will have his back if things go poorly, so it's up to him to figure out how far he is willing to stretch things. Personally I will list anything that I feel I can learn in time for a second interview. Fake it till you make it.

Getting hired is a skill that has little to do with one's ability to handle an entry-level software developer's job IMO.
Old September 19 2012, 11:41 PM   #17
Leviathan
Commander

The entire IT industry is unregulated/unlicensed - so a jr out of school with 8 seconds of VB6 can label themselves a senior developer. When they get fired after 1 year they claim "experienced" and charge more.

For reference, see the *entire* IT off-shoring industry.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 11:51 PM   #18
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Lying about aspects of your your professional experience?.... sure sounds like an EXTREMELY bad idea. How could anyone in your profession ever trust what you say (or said) or do (or did)? I pretty sure that is one company that I would not want to be working for.

What else will such an employee also be asked to lie about down the road in order to make the company look good?.....
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 02:10 AM   #19
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Weird RobMax, a friend of mine is in the exact same situation. He went through with it which I worry is gonna blow up in his face...
Old September 20 2012, 01:10 PM   #20
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
While exaggerating one's accomplishments is pretty common on resumes, I've never heard of flat-out lying being a routine practice. Does this happen a lot? Does it follow you around if you're caught? What are the potential consequences?
As far as I'm concerned, that's more or less fraud. If it, in any way, increased their chances of getting hired, it's a problem. I don't see how that can be a tolerable practice. I also don't think it's enough that some outside company wanted you to lie, it's still your resume.

There are ways to hide your lack of experience (for example, I once used paragraph form instead of bullet form, which makes every small thing seem more important and helps fill up space). You can also do small things without having to identify that they were small. Otherwise, the remedy is to actually do things you can put on your resume.
Old September 20 2012, 01:51 PM   #21
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
While exaggerating one's accomplishments is pretty common on resumes, I've never heard of flat-out lying being a routine practice. Does this happen a lot? Does it follow you around if you're caught? What are the potential consequences?
As far as I'm concerned, that's more or less fraud. If it, in any way, increased their chances of getting hired, it's a problem. I don't see how that can be a tolerable practice. I also don't think it's enough that some outside company wanted you to lie, it's still your resume.

There are ways to hide your lack of experience (for example, I once used paragraph form instead of bullet form, which makes every small thing seem more important and helps fill up space). You can also do small things without having to identify that they were small. Otherwise, the remedy is to actually do things you can put on your resume.
Well, that last part is the Catch-22. Nobody wants to hire you without experience, so you need a resume showing you have experience--but you don't have any. Getting over that initial hump is tough.

Not that it excuses lying, of course.

My friend has decided he won't go along with lying. They're supposed to present him with his employment contract today, and he intends to find some reason to reject that, so it'll be a situation in which he "quit" rather than getting fired (which apparently happened to one of his coworkers who refused to lie.)
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 02:08 PM   #22
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Trust me, I know that quite well. I've had two summers of working for free, volunteering for various projects, and doing school-related events connected to what I want to do on my free time before I'm confident my resume looks full enough to put me on an even playing field (until someone from Georgetown applies for the job, in which case I'm screwed either way).

But lying about it is unethical - even if it won't backfire it can follow you around.
Old September 20 2012, 02:35 PM   #23
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I say don't let him do it, for most of the reasons people have been citing here.

Out here, my resume is very different than the one I had back home when I worked at the university. The Hollywood resume is much more concise; people don't care what you're able to do per se - they just want to see, typically that you know how to use Word and that you've worked on a few shows. Seriously. This is why anybody --and I mean anybody-- can land a job in Hollywood and make it.

This is also why it's so damn important in the biz that people like you -- references on resumes are all the more important -- is he easy to be around? Is he punctual? Will he annoy me, or is he cool? Things like this are valued much more than education or qualification, at least in specific arm of the industry.

Everything else they need to know about you, they find out in your interview or via your reference. And if they like you on that first meeting (or its their boss recommending you), you get the job.

As for your friend - I'm in complete agreement with Timby -- while it may have the benefit of getting him this job now, your friend needs to seriously consider the likelihood that the company would drop him if they were ever called out on his resume.

Last edited by doubleohfive; September 20 2012 at 04:45 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:04 PM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Exaggerating isn't bad, if you can actually walk the walk but never had the chance to officially go on record with it. Some people just never got a fair chance even though they are perfectly qualified, so bending the rules isn't always bad. In other words, don't write cheques your ass can't cash.

I'm not talking about faking a diploma or shit like that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:16 PM   #25
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Exaggerating isn't bad, if you can actually walk the walk but never had the chance to officially go on record with it. Some people just never got a fair chance even though they are perfectly qualified, so bending the rules isn't always bad. In other words, don't write cheques your ass can't cash.

Old September 20 2012, 04:40 PM   #26
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Pretty much it.. everyone is polishing their resume, i.e. highlighting your strengths and experiences and downplaying the not so good parts.

Experienced HR people often enough see through the bullshit and can judge if it's just harmless polishing or actual lying and if you even lie about your qualifications a simple work field related question might let you go up in flames.

If you're really unlucky and the field is small where you apply to chances are that companies talk and this spreads so you've effectively destroyed your career before it even has begun.
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 05:22 PM   #27
marksound
Fleet Captain

I would politely decline to be dishonest about my experience. If my actual history and work ethic isn't good enough to get me in the door, I don't deserve the job.

Character is doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:10 AM   #28
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I wouldn't lie about a job, but I do make sure I omit some jobs I've had in the past that didn't last and fudge the dates by a few months if need be.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2012, 12:57 PM   #29
MNM
Captain

E-DUB wrote: View Post
There's lying and then there are creative ways to tell the truth.
No, both are lying.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 04:44 PM   #30
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I have never heard of a company doing this! That's risky with little reward.

I have bent the truth on resumes, we all do. But it's not lying, it's just making things sound better than they actually were.