RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 426
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 19 2012, 01:47 AM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: If star trek 2 is successful could CBS make more star trek attract

CBS hits home runs all the time by bunting.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 02:34 AM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Right on cue, Deadline just did a story on CBS's latest bunt err show in development. A doctor show! How daring of them.

Doing a search on CBS development turns up a lawyer show, another doctor show, two cop shows, and a slew of sitcoms on the usual topics - twentysomething friends in LA, young couple movies to LA, wacky family, friends in an apartment complex, workplace comedy.

And these are the people you expect to do a Star Trek series?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 04:48 AM   #18
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

If a new series is created, I don't want to see it on CBS and unfortunately the syndication route through which TNG and DS9 prospered, no longer seems to exist.

Although it's unlikely to ever happen, given CBS's stranglehold of the rights to Trek on TV, I would like to see a major cable channel take on a Trek series, specifically HBO or AMC. Both have proven track records with original programing, strong dramas, and a growing background in sci-fi and fantasy. If anyone ever wanted to do something beyond the standard ship & crew formula we're used to and really push the boundaries of what Star Trek can do, then AMC or HBO would be a great place to do it.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 01:17 PM   #19
StalwartUK
Commander

There probably won't be another Trek show for at least several years, if ever. CBS doesn't exactly look like a company that takes risks. They're happy enough to let Paramount do the heavy lifting and remastering TNG in HD (with DS9/VOY probably to follow) takes care of the HD content problem. Remastering the old shows is probably cheaper and much less risky than creating a all-new show.
Old September 19 2012, 02:28 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

StalwartUK wrote: View Post
There probably won't be another Trek show for at least several years, if ever. CBS doesn't exactly look like a company that takes risks. They're happy enough to let Paramount do the heavy lifting and remastering TNG in HD (with DS9/VOY probably to follow) takes care of the HD content problem. Remastering the old shows is probably cheaper and much less risky than creating a all-new show.
I've said it before in another thread, I think Deep Space Nine will be a barometer on whether we get new, live-action Trek in the near future.

If CBS decides to remaster it, that means they are generating a good profit margin from the HD upgrades and won't see a need to start up a new series that would be nothing but competition for streaming, syndication and home-video dollars.

They won't make the mistakes Paramount did with oversaturating the market.
Old September 19 2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Dream
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I've said it before in another thread, I think Deep Space Nine will be a barometer on whether we get new, live-action Trek in the near future.

If CBS decides to remaster it, that means they are generating a good profit margin from the HD upgrades and won't see a need to start up a new series that would be nothing but competition for streaming, syndication and home-video dollars.
I have my doubts that DS9 will be remastered and put on Bluray. DS9 isn't as popular as TOS or TNG, and all the later CGI space battles need to be redone, which will make the whole thing end up being much more expensive to do than TNG.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 02:53 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post

I have my doubts that DS9 will be remastered and put on Bluray. DS9 isn't as popular as TOS or TNG, and all the later CGI space battles need to be redone, which will make the whole thing end up being much more expensive to do than TNG.
It may or may not be remastered for HD.

But the cost to remaster the entire series will still likely be less than one season of new Trek. If you figure DS9 will cost double what TNG does to be given a facelift, it'll cost roughly $135 million. A new series, depending on distributor, will likely cost $7-10 million an episode with a season running anywhere from 12-22 episodes. Which means a season could cost anywhere from $84-220 million dollars. And smaller season orders, if it went off-network, would slow CBS ability to recoup some of the cost via syndication.
Old September 19 2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Dream
Admiral

It may or may not be remastered for HD.

But the cost to remaster the entire series will still likely be less than one season of new Trek. If you figure DS9 will cost double what TNG does to be given a facelift, it'll cost roughly $135 million. A new series, depending on distributor, will likely cost $7-10 million an episode with a season running anywhere from 12-22 episodes. Which means a season could cost anywhere from $84-220 million dollars. And smaller season orders, if it went off-network, would slow CBS ability to recoup some of the cost via syndication.
I would love if DS9 was remastered. TNG and DS9 are my favorite Trek shows.

I could care less about VOY or ENT, though I guess ENT would be really easy to do since it was already filmed in HD.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote