New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 18 2012, 12:42 PM   #316
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Re: The Newsroom.

Australis posts:
If everyone has a vision, then there's no direction. Everyone just takes off in their own direction.
common interests make them cooperate all the time.

A good leader has a big vision, then extends his hand to you and says, "Come with me, this will be good". I get that vibe from Obama.
I don't thinlk Obama has that anymore, he is just an another politician in most peoples eyes.Blacks will show up because he is the first machiavellian supervillain among them who achieved the presidency. We will see what the rest will decide.

Obama has the vision, but a lot of shit, like the GFC, have got in the way,
Obama made plenty of promises he could had kept like the ones about openess in the US government.

frankly, under Bush or Romney - those guys would just close everything.
What do youu mean by that?

Mitt is an oppurtinist and Bush was a "compassianate conservative". I don't recall government shrinking under Bush.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 07:21 PM   #317
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Australis posts:
If everyone has a vision, then there's no direction. Everyone just takes off in their own direction.
common interests make them cooperate all the time.

A good leader has a big vision, then extends his hand to you and says, "Come with me, this will be good". I get that vibe from Obama.
I don't thinlk Obama has that anymore, he is just an another politician in most peoples eyes.Blacks will show up because he is the first machiavellian supervillain among them who achieved the presidency. We will see what the rest will decide.

Obama has the vision, but a lot of shit, like the GFC, have got in the way,
Obama made plenty of promises he could had kept like the ones about openess in the US government.

frankly, under Bush or Romney - those guys would just close everything.
What do youu mean by that?

Mitt is an oppurtinist and Bush was a "compassianate conservative". I don't recall government shrinking under Bush.
This post contains nothing about The Newsroom, and you have expressed little interest in discussing or watching the show, preferring to pontificate at great length about your particular political hobbyhorses. While obviously politics are going to be discussed from time to time in conjunction with the show due to its subject matter, that's not what you're doing any more. Why not take the unrelated political discussion to TNZ and let the actual fans have their thread back?

I don't mod this forum, so that's not an order in any way (only a request), it's just kind of annoying that this entire thread has become about discussing your political views.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 08:46 PM   #318
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

I agree. Whenever I see there's a new post in this thread I end up disappointed because they aren't about the show anymore.

On that note, are there any news about a Blu-Ray/DVD release? And how are you guys holding up now that we've entered the long time of no new episodes? I've become addicted to show-related posts on tumblr.
Old September 18 2012, 08:57 PM   #319
MacLeod
Admiral

Overall the first season was ok, not as good as "The West Wing" but better than "Studio 60...".

I really should do a TWW rewatch thread.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 01:37 PM   #320
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I agree. Whenever I see there's a new post in this thread I end up disappointed because they aren't about the show anymore.

On that note, are there any news about a Blu-Ray/DVD release? And how are you guys holding up now that we've entered the long time of no new episodes? I've become addicted to show-related posts on tumblr.
I've just rewatched my personal favorite episode.. the one where it's about the killing of Osama and i'm still amazed about the perfect balance of seriousness, relationship stuff and humor (i still laugh hard when the boss finds out that stoned Will McAvoy is sitting on an email for 20 minutes by Biden confirming the kill.. "Are you kidding me?" ).

Alongside House of Lies it is the discovery i made last TV season and just as with House of Lies, Californication, Game of Thrones or True Blood i make do not seeing them for nearly a year.

Actually it is a good balance between fall/winter TV shows which end usually in May, then a small gap until June/July and when the summer shows finish it's again a small 1-2 month gap until fall season again.

Still doesn't make it easy but seeing them again is so much fun that i forget about the dry spell.

Last edited by FPAlpha; September 19 2012 at 02:23 PM.
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 01:48 PM   #321
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Careful, bro. You might want to edit your post.
Old September 19 2012, 01:56 PM   #322
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Isn't Cynthia McKinney a truther?
I have no idea as I have no recollection of having heard of her before this moment, which indicates that she is not a major player in the Democratic party. In fact, according to wikipedia she lost her seat in a primary election in 2006 and left the Democratic party in 2007 in order to join the Green party. So if you were trying to use her as an example of the Democrats being beholden to loony-left types, you picked a terrible example that actually reinforced what I said.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Overall the first season was ok, not as good as "The West Wing" but better than "Studio 60...".
I agree completely. It's not a great show, but it's not as bad as some reviewers made it out to be, and it picked up a bit in the second half of the season. At the very least I'm willing to come back for the second season to see how things develop, especially considering the drastic change in writers.

Might be fun. I'm near the end of my most recent rewatch, and it's one of those shows that I can rewatch over and over again and never get bored of it (except season 5).
Old September 19 2012, 02:29 PM   #323
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ Careful, bro. You might want to edit your post.
Good catch

And fitting for the episode too.. i should have "Obama good / Osama bad" sheets too
Old September 19 2012, 02:47 PM   #324
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Yeah, that was a fun detail. "Good thinking!"

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I've just rewatched my personal favorite episode.. the one where it's about the killing of Osama and i'm still amazed about the perfect balance of seriousness, relationship stuff and humor (i still laugh hard when the boss finds out that stoned Will McAvoy is sitting on an email for 20 minutes by Biden confirming the kill.. "Are you kidding me?" ).
I love that one, too, mostly for the scenes with stoned Will. And that scene really is the killer. Will saying, "enjoy the moment" to Charlie when he gets angry is a favourite moment of mine. Also the scene where Will declares the news isn't about Gaddafi because he's spoken to Wesley Clarke and NATO HQ on his way to the studio and you wonder whether he's really spoken to them or just thinks he has and which version of events is actually worse.

I also love that runnung gag about Will knowing everyone. There's a line that's easy to miss in a preceding episode, "Amen". When they try to find out what has happened to the Egyptian journalist Mac says to Will that he should call his highest contact in the State Department and if that doesn't work, her husband. I really dig that.
Old September 20 2012, 08:32 AM   #325
Rory1080p
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought the series was really good the dialogue is fast paced and interesting and the characters are good too.
Rory1080p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 08:43 AM   #326
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

I really liked this show, though since I adore Sorkin, that was practically a no brainer. I particularly enjoyed the way they went after the Tea Party with actual facts and held people accountable for things they actually said, but then later contradicted. It reminded me a lot of John Stewart and the daily show.

I also really liked that they set it back a year or two so they could play off events that have already happened, rather than trying to invent new events to cover. Much like the lack luster comedy aspects of Studio 60 were largely part of the reason the show failed (depending on who you ask), having to rely on made up news events could have really hurt them.

On the other hand, the West Wing did just fine with inventing fictitious events to play off of, so maybe it was just the comedy aspect that held things up. Truth be told, I never thought the comedy aspects of the fake show Studio 60 was putting on was all that important. I was much more interested in the character interactions, but then I'm getting off track. This is about Newsroom, not Studio 60.

I want more and look forward to season 2.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 12:46 PM   #327
Australis
Writer

MacLeod wrote: View Post

In the midst of a TWW rewatch right now. And boy, the quality really did drop when Sorkin left! I hadn't really noticed until this one, and find I'm skipping stuff. The dialogue doesn't crackle, the stories struggle, and the characters are sent off on wild tangents.

And agree about Studio 60, for some reason his female characters in that show were in the main terrible.

Any word on when Season 2 starts?
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Last edited by Australis; September 20 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 06:09 PM   #328
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

HBO likes to take a long time off between season, so I wouldn't expect it before the spring/summer of next year.

Old September 20 2012, 07:23 PM   #329
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

The date bandied around is June 13th. It seems to be pretty official. So, yeah, a long time to wait, unfortunately. Sorkin said (or was it Emily Mortimer?) that filming for the new season will begin in November.
Old September 20 2012, 10:44 PM   #330
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

It's worth it through. If HBO was any other station making shows of lesser quality, I'd be upset that the wait is so long. But HBO hits a home rum with piratically every thing they do, so I'm willing to wait.

I like your Avatar Count Zero. Sam Waterson is awesome and half my enjoyment of the show comes from simply hearing him swear at Will.